Topics

moderated Zoom conference

Justin Mcdevitt

Hello List members,

Later today, I am participating in my first Zoom conference event. I have downloadedZoom whose scripts are part of Jaws 2020.

I have made note of a number of keyboard commands to use within the Zoom platform.

I have located a pair of headphones to use during the conference.

Just prior to the event, I will click on the Join Link.

I know there is a hotkey to set up the audio link specific to the headphones.

I would appreciate any tips on how to maximize my participation as this is my maiden voyage specific to Zoom.

Peace and best to all, Justin .

Tim Ford

Hello Justin,

I just went through my initial trip to the Zoom platform, and there are some good things to do before the call.

Follow the meeting link in the email invitation; if you don’t have that, ask the meeting coordinator to send one.

Tab until you get to the meeting link on the web page and press enter.  Since this is before the meeting, you will get an alert to that effect.  Tab to the audio control icon and press enter.  Tab through those buttons to test your headphones and microphone.  Using headphones is a good idea if you want to be able to use JAWS during the conference.  On keyboard commands, the mute button would be one to know; I don’t know off the top of my head.

You can then log out and log back in when the meeting is starting, or you can leave the web page up and you will be alerted when the meeting starts.

I found the experience quite good.  JAWS said some stuff, alerts on joining or leaving the meeting, whether my mike was muted or not.  The audio was very good, the other 3 participants sounding like they were sitting near each other.  Much nicer than a standard phone call.

Sincerely,

Tim Ford

Later today, I am participating in my first Zoom conference event. I have downloadedZoom whose scripts are part of Jaws 2020.

I have made note of a number of keyboard commands to use within the Zoom platform.

I have located a pair of headphones to use during the conference.

Just prior to the event, I will click on the Join Link.

I know there is a hotkey to set up the audio link specific to the headphones.

I would appreciate any tips on how to maximize my participation as this is my maiden voyage specific to Zoom.

Peace and best to all, Justin .

Edward Green

Hi Justin,

If you're going to be using Zoom regularly, it may be worth downloading Jonathan Mosen's e-book on the topic which he has made free during the COVID-19 outbreak.

You can get it from www.mosen.org.
Cheers
Ed

[...]

Here are some shortcut hotkeys worth remembering with the Zoom Windows client:

·        Alt + A Toggle to mute and unmute

·        Alt + U User taken to participants panel. Tab and Shift + Tab will cycle through them.

·        Alt + Y Raise and lower hand

·        Alt + H Move to Chat window. NVDA doesn't currently read alerts but will in next version.

Alan Lemly

Later today, I am participating in my first Zoom conference event. I have downloadedZoom whose scripts are part of Jaws 2020.

I have made note of a number of keyboard commands to use within the Zoom platform.

I have located a pair of headphones to use during the conference.

Just prior to the event, I will click on the Join Link.

I know there is a hotkey to set up the audio link specific to the headphones.

I would appreciate any tips on how to maximize my participation as this is my maiden voyage specific to Zoom.

Peace and best to all, Justin .

David Diamond

There is also a group dedicated to using Zoom.  Be prepared though, it is a high volume group, no 10 posts per day on that one.

Ashleigh Piccinino

My best bet, if I were you, would be to get help from the group for now. Howeveer, by buying the book “Meet me in the Cloud” by Jonathan Mosen, you can read and/or listen to everything he does with Zoom. Of course, Mr. Mosen was the moderator for the FScasts back in the day up untill recently.

On Apr 4, 2020, at 11:06 AM, Justin Mcdevitt <jhmcdev@...> wrote:

Hello List members,

Later today, I am participating in my first Zoom conference event. I have downloadedZoom whose scripts are part of Jaws 2020.

I have made note of a number of keyboard commands to use within the Zoom platform.

I have located a pair of headphones to use during the conference.

Just prior to the event, I will click on the Join Link.

I know there is a hotkey to set up the audio link specific to the headphones.

I would appreciate any tips on how to maximize my participation as this is my maiden voyage specific to Zoom.

Peace and best to all, Justin .

Thabo Baseki

Actually! Mr Mosen has made the book free right now. It can be downloaded @www.mosen.org/zoom at no cost.

Best