From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Tom Cramer
Sent: Sunday, October 17, 2021 2:49 AM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: Word, Footnotes and JAWS

Hello,
Does anyone know of a good but easy way of using Footnotes in Word with JAWS? I have to write a few things where I'll need to footnote or document my sources, like title and page number.
I don't remember what that looks like from school. Does Word have an area you can use for footnotes, like you do for headers? Does it work using JAWS?
Tom

Richard Turner <richardturner42@...>

Hello Takis,

I tried this, and control+alt+f only works for the first footnote.

If I keep writing, and want to addd a second footnote, how is this done?
I checked the Microsoft help, but it mentions the Review Tab and I didn't find anything on Footnotes there.

Thanks,

Richard
"Reality is the leading cause of stress for those who are in touch with it." - Jane Wagner

Yes, word has a shortcut and it's all very useful, perhaps not as handy as that by the old wordperfect. When you type and want to insert a footnote, just press control-alt-f and it will open with the corresponding number. Once you have typed it, just arrow up if it is the first one and you will get yourself back to main text. My suggestion which works is to use alt-home, then alt-end which gets you back to where the note was inserted. If I want to look at a note I usually hit alt-shift-e and read it albeit in a way of preview, but it is quicker than the technique suggested to read it without having to speed that.
Hope this helps,
Takis

Does anyone know of a good but easy way of using Footnotes in Word with JAWS? I have to write a few things where I'll need to footnote or document my sources, like title and page number.
I don't remember what that looks like from school. Does Word have an area you can use for footnotes, like you do for headers? Does it work using JAWS?
Tom

Panagiotis Antonopoulos

Hello Richard,
Unfortunately, I have not encountered this issue, as to me the command
creates consecutive footnotes, using office 365.
I am always ready to help, if I can,
Take care,
Takis

Does anyone know of a good but easy way of using Footnotes in Word with
JAWS? I have to write a few things where I'll need to footnote or document
my sources, like title and page number.
I don't remember what that looks like from school. Does Word have an area
you can use for footnotes, like you do for headers? Does it work using JAWS?
Tom

Richard Turner <richardturner42@...>

Takis,
You are right.
I was not following the steps exactly for adding the second or third footnote, etc. I thought I should use control+end to get passed what I had written, but that messes it up.
Just up arrowing back to the text, and hitting enter to start a new paragraph, or just keeping on typing, allows the hotkey to work properly.

Thank you.

I don't know if I will need footnotes anytime soon, but I wanted to make sure I knew how to when the time comes that I want to use them.

Thanks very much,

Richard
"Reality is the leading cause of stress for those who are in touch with it." - Jane Wagner

Does anyone know of a good but easy way of using Footnotes in Word with JAWS? I have to write a few things where I'll need to footnote or document my sources, like title and page number.
I don't remember what that looks like from school. Does Word have an area you can use for footnotes, like you do for headers? Does it work using JAWS?
Tom

Panagiotis Antonopoulos

Just be aware that, if you have a whole bunch of notes, arrowing up will put
you to the previous note, rather than the text, hence I follow the
control-home then control-end to reach the last bit past the footnote and
continue my work.

I tried this, and control+alt+f only works for the first footnote.

If I keep writing, and want to addd a second footnote, how is this done?
I checked the Microsoft help, but it mentions the Review Tab and I didn't
find anything on Footnotes there.

Thanks,

Richard
- Jane Wagner

My Web site:
https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.turner4
2.com%2F&amp;data=04%7C01%7C%7C45a883d616044a6f90fc08d991810424%7C84df9e7fe9
f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637700805581556099%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8
eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&am
p;sdata=HQIZzerrl2OZXaBpZ6Ehb5ChoZoyIpyXzrLRrwXgpd4%3D&amp;reserved=0

Does anyone know of a good but easy way of using Footnotes in Word with
JAWS? I have to write a few things where I'll need to footnote or document
my sources, like title and page number.
I don't remember what that looks like from school. Does Word have an area
you can use for footnotes, like you do for headers? Does it work using JAWS?
Tom

Richard Turner <richardturner42@...>

When I did that, it messed me up.

Obviously, I need to experiment more, but I know now what to do enough to get it working when/if needed.

Arrowing up through all the notes also works to get to the place to continue typing, but I will experiment with control+home Control+end.
Thanks again,

https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.turner4%2F&;data=04%7C01%7C%7Ccfbfcba873774a7ae3e208d991866c35%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637700828787030041%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&amp;sdata=%2FtYJP%2FmZCzWc%2Fl%2Bb7iZT6g8sNOi0R4Pk03lUviJKAos%3D&amp;reserved=0
2.com%2F&amp;data=04%7C01%7C%7C45a883d616044a6f90fc08d991810424%7C84df9e7fe9
f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637700805581556099%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8
eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&am
p;sdata=HQIZzerrl2OZXaBpZ6Ehb5ChoZoyIpyXzrLRrwXgpd4%3D&amp;reserved=0

Does anyone know of a good but easy way of using Footnotes in Word with JAWS? I have to write a few things where I'll need to footnote or document my sources, like title and page number.
I don't remember what that looks like from school. Does Word have an area you can use for footnotes, like you do for headers? Does it work using JAWS?
Tom

Ann Byrne

Alt+s, then f to add additional footnotes. Goto dialog to move between text and footnotes. Draft view in order to read everything with JAWS.

At 09:53 AM 10/17/2021, you wrote:
[...]

Jason White

On 17/10/21 13:10, Richard Turner wrote:
Arrowing up through all the notes also works to get to the place to continue typing, but I will experiment with control+home Control+end.
When you're in the footnote text, there's an option in the context menu to "go to footnote". It takes you to the point in the main text where the footnote mark appears. This is the quick way to return to where you were when you inserted the note.