moderated windows sign-in

Stan Holdeman

Dear Listers: I recently had to have a new hard drive and thus a new install of Windows 10.

Formerly after boot up I would get the Windows welcome with sign in in which I typed a 4 digit password which would sign me in. This was set up by the person who sold me the computer.

Now I go straight to Windows desktop with no need for sign in. I would like to have the added security of a sign in password. How do I do this? I have gone to settings, accounts, sign in options, but the page reads poorly and I can’t seem to proceed.

Thanks for your help.

Stan

Hi,

I’ll forward this to a more relevant forum, but suffice to say that you must set up a password before enabling Windows Hello PIN method. You would do:

  1. Go to Settings (Windows+I)/Accounts/Sign-in options.
  2. Create a password for your account (don’t worry about creating a Microsoft Account unless you wish to use additional services). From Sign-in options, go to a list of sign-in options which includes Windows Hello Face, Password, among others. Select “Password” and create one if you haven’t done so.
  3. Test the password (log out and log in).
  4. Return to settings/Accounts/Sign-in options, then select Windows Hello PIN. You will be asked to enter your current password, along with setting up a PIN.

Note that Windows Hello Face and Fingerprint options will require appropriate hardware.

Cheers,

Joseph

Dear Listers: I recently had to have a new hard drive and thus a new install of Windows 10.

Formerly after boot up I would get the Windows welcome with sign in in which I typed a 4 digit password which would sign me in. This was set up by the person who sold me the computer.

Now I go straight to Windows desktop with no need for sign in. I would like to have the added security of a sign in password. How do I do this? I have gone to settings, accounts, sign in options, but the page reads poorly and I can’t seem to proceed.

Thanks for your help.

Stan

Stan Holdeman

Thank you, Joseph, but now I am feeling a bit dumb for having to ask this follow-up.

I already have a Microsoft account with password. How does that change or complicate the instructions you sent me.

Stan

On Tue, Mar 16, 2021 at 09:51 AM, Stan Holdeman wrote:
I already have a Microsoft account with password.
-
If that's what you're using to log in on this particular computer, then you can skip straight to step #4.

To think is to differ.
      ~ Clarence Darrow

Stan Holdeman

This was so easy. I am embarrassed that I tried to make it so hard.

Thanks, Stan