From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Mark Arnold ABG
Sent: Friday, December 10, 2021 8:02 AM
To: jfw@groups.io
Subject: Windows 11 Task Bar Question

Hello All,

In Windows 10 I was able to use first letter navigation on the task bar to open pinned apps.  This does not seem to work in Windows 11.  Any way to change this?

As always, thanks in advance…

Mark

Mark Arnold ABG

Thanks for the reply.  It used to be so easy to simply do the Windows Key plus T and then use first letter navigation.  I guess this Old Dog will need to learn a new trick!

Thank you again,

Mark

I don’t think so, as this change has to do with changes to the technology used to display Taskbar and other items on screen. Without going into details, I can say that Taskbar and other items are seen as UIA controls instead of Microsoft Active Accessibility (ask me offlist for some technical details as that is beyond the scope of one screen reader).

Cheers,

Joseph

In Windows 10 I was able to use first letter navigation on the task bar to open pinned apps.  This does not seem to work in Windows 11.  Any way to change this?

As always, thanks in advance…

Mark

Dennis Brown

Can someone explain what the checkboxes are for on the Windows 11 task bar

Thanks.

Dennis

[...]

AVG logo

www.avg.com

Ben Moxey

Hey Mark

You can also hold the Windows key and use the number row to open pinned Apps on your Taskbar. For example, the second pinned App on my Taskbar is Microsoft Edge, so I can hold the Windows key and press 2 to launch Edge from anywhere.

Check out this great tutorial from Dan Clark:

Pin and Arrange Apps on the Taskbar

Cheers

Ben

[...]

Which checkboxes? Are you talking about things like “Widgets” and ‘Chat” toggle buttons/checkboxes? If so, they are really toggle switches that gets “toggled on” when the user activates the button in question. For example, if focused on Start button, it’ll show up as “toggled on” if you press Windows key to open Start menu. I suspect this has to do with something beyond a screen reader’s control (in a way, screen readers can control how things are announced to users, but when it comes to the underlying info screen readers get, it’s really the territory of UI team at Microsoft).

Cheers,

Joseph

[...]

Ben,

Thank you, thank you, thank you!  I had already started his tutorials and hadn’t gotten to this one yet.  It definitely gave me the solution I was looking to find.

All the best to you and the list…

[...]

Steve Nutt

Hi,

No, this is one of those things that MS broke for us in Windows 11.

All the best

Steve

Computer Room Services

77 Exeter Close