moderated Windows 11 and Laptop

Les Kriegler

Hi All,
I want to install Windows 11 on my 2017 Surface Pro. My specs are fine. I ran the PC Health Check and was informed that my processor was too old to run on Windows 11. Under Windows 10, all my abs run very quickly as I have 16 MG Ram. Can I install Windows 11 anyway, or do I need to look at a new laptop at some point? If a laptop is in order, I’d appreciate recommendations. I’d like the same specs as I have now, 16 MG RAM, a 1 TB hard drive with latest Intel Processor. I appreciate your suggestions and recommendations.
Best,

Les

Pat Byrne

Les,
If you are happy with your performance, stick with it. WIN10 is supported for several more years. I'm sticking with what I have for the foreseable future; my computer qualifies for WIN11!
Good luck with your final decision.
Pat ByrneAt 08:34 AM 4/19/2022, you wrote:

Hi All,
I want to install Windows 11 on my 2017 Surface Pro. My specs are fine. I ran the PC Health Check and was informed that my processor was too old to run on Windows 11. Under Windows 10, all my abs run very quickly as I have 16 MG Ram. Can I install Windows 11 anyway, or do I need to look at a new laptop at some point? If a laptop is in order, I’d appreciate recommendations. I’d like the same specs as I have now, 16 MG RAM, a 1 TB hard drive with latest Intel Processor. I appreciate your suggestions and recommendations.
Best,

Les

If your machine does not pass the Microsoft PC Health Check then, yes, you will eventually need to buy another computer in order to make the move to Windows 11.  None of my laptops have supported processors, and in the case of Intel processors that means that your machine has one that is older than 8th generation (the number after the dash is less than 8000).

Windows 10 remains in full support through 2025, and that's if Microsoft doesn't end up extending that support.  By that time a very great many of us who have machines with older processors will be due for a replacement anyway.

Right now, with the worldwide semiconductor chip shortage, I wouldn't be buying a new computer unless I literally needed it now.  Within a year or two even the refurbished market will be full of machines that will have the hardware necessary to run Windows 11.

     ~ Lauren Bacall

Steve Nutt

Hi,

Also, don’t forget the TPM option in the BIOS. The Health Check app may be telling you Windows is not supported, just because TPM is disabled.

You will need sighted help, but get TPM enabled in your BIOS and try the health check again.

All the best

Steve

Computer Room Services

77 Exeter Close

Stevenage

Hertfordshire

SG1 4PW

T: +44(0)1438-742286

M: +44(0)7956-334938

F: +44(0)1438-759589

E: steve@...

On Tue, Apr 19, 2022 at 11:33 AM, Steve Nutt wrote:
Also, don’t forget the TPM option in the BIOS. The Health Check app may be telling you Windows is not supported, just because TPM is disabled.
-
While you are correct, it should be telling you this pretty explicitly.

The PC Health Check as it exists today is very good about looking at all the hardware and configuration aspects and giving pretty clear information about where, exactly, something's lacking.

One should review the output from the PC Health Check very carefully and I'm simply presuming that those who take the time and effort to do so are actually doing precisely that.  When I run PC Health check, the results that show by default (and in this case it's only one result, because only one fails, and that's my CPU) are the things that make it fail.  But you can choose to show all results, but even that should not be necessary as anything that fails should be shown.  The things checked include the processor/CPU, Secure Boot, TPM version and status, RAM, System Disk Capacity, Number of processor cores, Processor clock speed.

If any of these fail, that should be pointed out in the short list that gets displayed.  The others are only shown if you choose to show all results.

     ~ Lauren Bacall

Steve Nutt

On my devices, it doesn’t. I have run full tests, and it says basically that my older computers don’t support Windows 10, until I enable it, which is why I mentioned this.

All the best

Steve

Computer Room Services

77 Exeter Close

Stevenage

Hertfordshire

SG1 4PW

T: +44(0)1438-742286

M: +44(0)7956-334938

F: +44(0)1438-759589

E: steve@...

[...]

Hi Steve and All,
I had no idea that this was an option. I will contact Microsoft Accessibility and work on this issue with them. Thanks.
Best,

Les

On Apr 20, 2022, at 3:20 AM, Steve Nutt <steve@...> wrote:

[...]

On Wed, Apr 20, 2022 at 03:20 AM, Steve Nutt wrote:
On my devices, it doesn’t.
-
Then you are most likely using one of the earlier versions of the PC Health Check.  I think they're up to the 5th or 6th one now.  The one I've got, and this was a first, even updated itself when I went to run it again yesterday.  The older versions did not check for updates to themselves.

     ~ Lauren Bacall

Hi,

There is a way to check if Trusted Platform Module is up and running (at least Surface Laptop should have it set and running):

  1. Open Start menu.
  2. Type “cmd” without quotes and press Enter.
  3. When Command Prompt or PowerShell opens, type “tpm.msc” without quotes and press Enter. You can then use touch cursor or JAWS cursor to review the screen.

Note that this method assumes at least Windows 10 Pro or above (may not work on Windows 10 Home). As Brian pointed out, download the latest version of PC Health Check and see if that makes a difference. Even if TPM is functioning, if the processor is older than Intel Core 8th generation, the only way to upgrade to Windows 11 (officially, if you insist) is telling Microsoft that you accept the consequences by agreeing to a warning message when presented by Windows Setup. Even if you go through this route, a future version of Windows 11 may display a message on the screen telling you that your system is unsupported and updates are not guaranteed.

There was a discussion on WinAccess forum where this very subject came up. While the forum does mention Windows Registry tweaks, I advise not installing Windows 11 on unsupported systems.

Cheers,

Joseph