moderated windows 11

Marvin Hunkin

Hi. Got two apps to check, the new preview app for check health app and also windows w 11 app. The Microsoft app says my processor is not valid, but when I do the windows w 11, says it is all right and meets the minimum standards.

Which one is correct.

Thanks.

Richard Turner

Call Microsoft Accessibility 800-936-5900

They can tell you for sure and if they don’t, their worthwhileness  will have dropped a lot in my view.

Richard

Software means never having to say you're finished

Web site: www.turner42.com

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Marvin Hunkin
Sent: Saturday, August 28, 2021 1:27 AM
To: jfw@groups.io
Subject: windows 11

Hi. Got two apps to check, the new preview app for check health app and also windows w 11 app. The Microsoft app says my processor is not valid, but when I do the windows w 11, says it is all right and meets the minimum standards.

Which one is correct.

Thanks.

A new version of the PC Health Check was just released yesterday.

And you're not going to get Windows 11 support from the accessibility folks since even that health check is an Insider's release.

While I can get why people are interested to know in advance if their machine qualifies for the update to Windows 11, in the end it really doesn't matter.  If the hardware is compatible, then your next feature update cycle will be an update to Windows 11.  If it doesn't, it will be to Windows 10 21H2 (if they actually release 21H2 and don't go long and make the next Win10 feature update 22H1).

There's nothing the end user can (or should) do.  In the age of Windows as a service, Windows itself is going to determine the next update step.
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H1, Build 19043  

It is the function of creative men to perceive the relations between thoughts, or things, or forms of expression that may seem utterly different, and to be able to combine them into some new forms--the power to connect the seemingly unconnected.

~ William Plomer

Richard Turner

Good point Brian.

I was just thinking that it’s a piece of Microsoft software, so they could say if one or the other is more accurate, but you are right, of course, it doesn’t matter unless the person wants to plan on buying a new computer if their computer isn’t going to work with Windows 11 … and that would not be me, but there you go.

Richard

Software means never having to say you're finished

Web site: www.turner42.com

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Saturday, August 28, 2021 8:20 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: windows 11

A new version of the PC Health Check was just released yesterday.

And you're not going to get Windows 11 support from the accessibility folks since even that health check is an Insider's release.

While I can get why people are interested to know in advance if their machine qualifies for the update to Windows 11, in the end it really doesn't matter.  If the hardware is compatible, then your next feature update cycle will be an update to Windows 11.  If it doesn't, it will be to Windows 10 21H2 (if they actually release 21H2 and don't go long and make the next Win10 feature update 22H1).

There's nothing the end user can (or should) do.  In the age of Windows as a service, Windows itself is going to determine the next update step.
--

It is the function of creative men to perceive the relations between thoughts, or things, or forms of expression that may seem utterly different, and to be able to combine them into some new forms--the power to connect the seemingly unconnected.

~ William Plomer

What processor do you have? I understand that there has been a slight revision and that a few versions of 7th Gen Intel processors are now supported, but most are not and certainly not any 6th Gen processors and no changes with AMD.

Sent: August 28, 2021 1:27 AM
To: jfw@groups.io

Which one is correct.

Thanks.

Marvin Hunkin

h. here’s the info from belark advisor.

Pasting below.

Ps: has 4 cores or 4 threads.2.30 gigahertz Intel Core i3-7020U

This is a 7th Gen I3 CPU, but as it's an I3 meaning a low-end Intel CPU it may not be compatible.

In addition to the processor requirement you also have to check if your BIOS has SecureBoost and whether it is enabled and whether your system has a TPM (Trusted Platform Module) and that it is Version 2.0.

The Secure Boost setting you can find in System Information and the TPM module information you can check either by typing tpm.msc into the Run dialogue or, a bit easier, by going to Device Manager and them look for "Security Devices", expand it and see what it says, it should say "Trusted Platform Module 2.0".

Apart from that either run the new PC Health Check tool if available yet or just wait and see whether Windows 11 is offered to you in October or November.

Sent: August 29, 2021 5:24 PM

Pasting below.

Marvin Hunkin

Hi. Have got tpm 2.0. went to control panel, device manager, and security.

And then with the health app. Says my processor, but when I use the win y 11 tool. Tells me everything is fine.

Thanks.

Mario

Marvin, I opened Device Manager but don't have a security item. how did you end up with a security item in your Device Manager?

-------- Original Message --------
Date: Tuesday, August 31, 2021, 8:23 AM
To: <main@jfw.groups.io>

And then with the health app. Says my processor, but when I use the win
y 11 tool. Tells me everything is fine.

Thanks.

On Tue, Aug 31, 2021 at 10:01 AM, Mario wrote:
I opened Device Manager but don't have a security item.
-
If you don't have a TPM, you will not have this category.

--

~ William Plomer

From the proverbial horse's mouth:  Windows 11 available on October 5
--

~ William Plomer

Chris

Unless its actually a donkey, I wouldn’t put a bet on it

Sent: 31 August 2021 15:06

From the proverbial horse's mouth:  Windows 11 available on October 5
--

~ William Plomer

Steve Nutt

Hi,

Minor correction, it is secure boot, not boost, I believe.

All the best

Steve

--

To subscribe to our News and Special Offers list, go to https://www.comproom.co.uk/subscribe

Computer Room Services

77 Exeter Close

Stevenage

Hertfordshire

SG1 4PW

T: +44(0)1438-742286

M: +44(0)7956-334938

F: +44(0)1438-759589

E: steve@...

W: https://www.comproom.co.uk

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Sieghard Weitzel
Sent: 30 August 2021 16:43

This is a 7th Gen I3 CPU, but as it's an I3 meaning a low-end Intel CPU it may not be compatible.

In addition to the processor requirement you also have to check if your BIOS has SecureBoost and whether it is enabled and whether your system has a TPM (Trusted Platform Module) and that it is Version 2.0.

The Secure Boost setting you can find in System Information and the TPM module information you can check either by typing tpm.msc into the Run dialogue or, a bit easier, by going to Device Manager and them look for "Security Devices", expand it and see what it says, it should say "Trusted Platform Module 2.0".

Apart from that either run the new PC Health Check tool if available yet or just wait and see whether Windows 11 is offered to you in October or November.

Sent: August 29, 2021 5:24 PM

Pasting below.

I don't know what the "Win Y 11 Tool" is, I can't find such a thing, the only way to check for Windows 11 compatibility as far as I know is with the PC Health Check app and to my knowledge Microsoft has pulled it and it will be rereleased at some point to give better information as to why your computer is or is not compatible.

If you go to the Windows 11 page directly on Microsoft.com and look for PC Health Check, it says the following:

Use the PC Health Check app to see if your current PC meets the requirements to run Windows 11. If so, you can get a free upgrade when it rolls out.

COMING SOON

Anyways, that's the last comment I have, it's not really that big of a deal anyways, it's not like Microsoft hasn't said already that Windows 10 will be fully supported with feature and security updates until at least 2025. Lots of time to get a new computer in those 4 years if your current one doesn't cut it.

Sent: August 31, 2021 5:23 AM

And then with the health app. Says my processor, but when I use the win y 11 tool. Tells me everything is fine.

Thanks.

You only have it if you have a Trusted Platform Module, it says "Security Devices", if you don't have that your computer is older and does not have a TPM.

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Mario
Sent: August 31, 2021 7:01 AM

Marvin, I opened Device Manager but don't have a security item. how did you end up with a security item in your Device Manager?

-------- Original Message --------
Date: Tuesday, August 31, 2021, 8:23 AM
To: <main@jfw.groups.io>

Thanks.