Topics

moderated Windows 10 question

Madison Martin

Hi again all,
Can someone please tell me how to find out what vertion of Windows 10 I'm
running? Just curious to know that's all. Also, should I have automatic updates
turned on? Thanks
Madison

Edward Green

Hi Madison,

Press Windows key+r to bring up the run dialog and type "winver" without the quotes.

Cheers,

Ed

On 14 Jul 2020, at 21:10, Madison Martin <maddymartin@...> wrote:

Hi again all,
Can someone please tell me how to find out what vertion of Windows 10 I'm
running? Just curious to know that's all. Also, should I have automatic updates
turned on? Thanks
Madison

Hi,
The fastest way to find out what Windows 10 release you are using is: Start
menu, type "winver" (without quotes) and press Enter. Listen to the line
that starts with "Version".
As for automatic updates: yes, it is advised to keep this enabled. In the
past, people gave conflicting advice in regards to keeping automatic updates
on or off, mainly because of concern that you may find yourself upgraded to
more recent Windows 10 release (termed "feature updates"). Times have
changed since then - Microsoft will not install new Windows 10 feature
updates (releases) unless your system (hardware and software) is deemed
compatible with the new update.
Although the following will not directly address automatic updates question
posed, it provides a short overview on what is happening with feature
updates (source: the Win10 forum I mentioned earlier):
https://win10.groups.io/g/win10/message/45181?p=,,,100,0,0,0::Created,,featu
re+updates,100,2,0,74554449
Cheers,
Joseph

Can someone please tell me how to find out what vertion of Windows 10 I'm
running? Just curious to know that's all. Also, should I have automatic
updates turned on? Thanks Madison

Madison Martin

How do I check to see if automatic updates are inabled?

Can someone please tell me how to find out what vertion of Windows 10 I'm
running? Just curious to know that's all. Also, should I have automatic updates
turned on? Thanks Madison

Hi,
It is enabled by default. There is a way to find out, which will involve
opening a list of Windows services and seeing if Windows Update service is
active. But for everyday consumers, don't worry about automatic updates.
Cheers,
Joseph

How do I check to see if automatic updates are inabled?

Can someone please tell me how to find out what vertion of Windows 10 I'm
running? Just curious to know that's all. Also, should I have automatic
updates turned on? Thanks Madison

Mario

in Windows 10, the updates are automatic, and can be delayed for a while.

Press Windows key+r to bring up the run dialog and type "winver" without the quotes.

Cheers,

Ed

On 14 Jul 2020, at 21:10, Madison Martin <maddymartin@...> wrote:

Hi again all,
Can someone please tell me how to find out what vertion of Windows 10 I'm
running? Just curious to know that's all. Also, should I have automatic updates
turned on? Thanks
Madison

.

Steve Matzura

There's nothing to check. Updates are no longer an option in Windows 10. That is, you can't say you don't want them. The best you can cd is pause them for seven days.

On 7/14/2020 4:23 PM, Madison Martin wrote:
How do I check to see if automatic updates are inabled?

Can someone please tell me how to find out what vertion of Windows 10 I'm
running? Just curious to know that's all. Also, should I have automatic updates
turned on? Thanks Madison

Hi,
Not easily anymore: although you can pause updates for up to five weeks, you can't delay feature updates for up to a year from Settings (this used to be case with Version 1909/November 2019 Update, not anymore since Version 2004/May 2020 Update).
Cheers,
Joseph

in Windows 10, the updates are automatic, and can be delayed for a while.

Press Windows key+r to bring up the run dialog and type "winver" without the quotes.

Cheers,

Ed

On 14 Jul 2020, at 21:10, Madison Martin <maddymartin@...> wrote:

Hi again all,
Can someone please tell me how to find out what vertion of Windows 10 I'm running? Just curious to know that's all. Also, should I have automatic updates turned on? Thanks Madison

.

And one should:

1.  Never, ever think about turning off the Windows Update service.

2.  Realize, that with regard to Feature Updates which change the Version of Windows 10 that's running, they are not fully automatic in any meaningful sense anymore.  You will be presented with the option to Download and install in the Windows Update Pane of Update & Security Settings.  Unless you activate that link, the feature update will not apply.  (Or at least it will not apply while the version that's on your machine remains in support.  It's well-nigh impossible that one would not have triggered the download and install of the next feature update long before whatever one is using goes out of support 18 months after its introduction.)

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

Mario

Joseph, thank you for the information about the change in the updates issue. this is good to know.

Can someone please tell me how to find out what vertion of Windows 10 I'm
running? Just curious to know that's all. Also, should I have automatic
updates turned on? Thanks Madison

.

Mario

but if you have Windows 10 Pro, updates can be delayed for longer than 7 days. but what I don't understand is why in the advanced settings there is also a Temporarily pause updates from being installed on this device for up to 35 days combo box.

isn't it a bit redundant? if not, what is the difference between the two settings?

Can someone please tell me how to find out what vertion of Windows 10 I'm
running? Just curious to know that's all. Also, should I have
automatic updates
turned on? Thanks Madison

.

Hi,
The "Pause updates for 7 days" button was added in consideration for Windows 10 Home users in Version 1903. Prior to Version 1903, Windows 10 Home users could not pause updates, but Windows 10 Pro and up can (the ability to pause updates was present since 2015, but it showed up on Settings in 2017). Also, whereas the button present in Windows Update main page will pause updates for seven days straight unless you choose to resume update checks, the one found in Advanced options will let you specify exactly when you wish to let Windows start checking for updates.
Cheers,
Joseph

but if you have Windows 10 Pro, updates can be delayed for longer than 7 days. but what I don't understand is why in the advanced settings there is also a Temporarily pause updates from being installed on this device for up to 35 days combo box.

isn't it a bit redundant? if not, what is the difference between the two settings?

Can someone please tell me how to find out what vertion of Windows 10 I'm running? Just curious to know that's all. Also, should I have automatic updates turned on? Thanks Madison

.

Mario

oh, I see. thanks again.

[...]

On Tue, Jul 14, 2020 at 05:19 PM, Mario wrote:
isn't it a bit redundant?
At this point in time, and with the changes to how Feature Updates are applied, the answer to that is, "Yes."

But, if one wishes to postpone other Windows Updates (and I think that critical updates are never able to be delayed) one can use those settings.  The Pause for 7 days is just the default pause.  It says right beneath if you wish to have a longer period then use the advanced features to set the time span (up to 35 days).

In advanced settings you also have the option to postpone Feature Updates from even being presented for up to 1 year (365 days) and quality updates from being downloaded and applied for up to a month (30 days).

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

Mario

what is the difference between feature updates and quality updates?

On Tue, Jul 14, 2020 at 05:19 PM, Mario wrote:

isn't it a bit redundant?

At this point in time, and with the changes to how Feature Updates are
applied, the answer to that is, "Yes."

But, if one wishes to postpone other Windows Updates (and I think that
critical updates are never able to be delayed) one can use those
settings.  The Pause for 7 days is just the default pause.  It says
right beneath if you wish to have a longer period then use the advanced
features to set the time span (up to 35 days).

In advanced settings you also have the option to postpone Feature
Updates from even being presented for up to 1 year (365 days) and
quality updates from being downloaded and applied for up to a month (30
days).

/The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it./
       ~ Lawrence Krauss

Gary Ketler

I never received the 1909 updates. I guess I’m out of luck.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

There's nothing to check. Updates are no longer an option in Windows 10.

That is, you can't say you don't want them. The best you can cd is pause

them for seven days.

On 7/14/2020 4:23 PM, Madison Martin wrote:

> How do I check to see if automatic updates are inabled?

David Moore

Hi there! Just hold down the windows key, and press r to open the run dialog. Dan tight winver and press enter. Jaws will read out the version and build of your Windows 10. Just press escape to get out of the run dialog. Have a great one!
David Moore

Bill White

Feature updates take you from one version of Windows to another, such as from Windows 1909 to Windows 2004. Quality updates, or Cumulative updates may fix minor issues, or make minor changes, some not even moving you from one build to another, while other cumulative or quality updates will actually change the build number without changing the version number.

Bill White
billwhite92701@...

[...]

19-09 update? Don't you mean 20-04?

Try this:

1. Press Windows Key + Shift +I to open the Windows Settings pane.

2. In the search field, type update and press the Down Arrow Key until you hear "Windows update," then press ENTER.

You're now in the dialog where you can do things like check for updates, pause updates for seven days, etc.

If you press the "Check for updates" button and your system tells you you're up to date, then there's something either on or in your system that can't be updated to the latest version of Windows 10, or any later versions than your current version for that matter.

You also may not be getting updated because during the hours you've chosen for those updates to be applied, your computer is off or offline. You can force the update(s) to happen by tabbing through the updates dialog and finding a list of available updates chosen for your system, then tabbing to the download or "install" button immediately after that list.

HTH

On 7/14/2020 6:17 PM, Gary Ketler wrote:

I never received the 1909 updates. I guess I’m out of luck.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

There's nothing to check. Updates are no longer an option in Windows 10.

That is, you can't say you don't want them. The best you can cd is pause

them for seven days.

On 7/14/2020 4:23 PM, Madison Martin wrote:

> How do I check to see if automatic updates are inabled?

Steve Matzura

Oops, I meant Windows Key + I, no shift required.