Topics

moderated Windows 10 October Update May Not Work With JAWS 2019

Gerald Levy

For those of you who are using JAWS 2019 and plan to install the Windows 10 October update, the following message, posted by someone on another list, may
be of interest.  Note that this message is based solely on the personal experience of its author, Rob Kaiser.  I'm just the messenger:

[GUI-Talk] problem with JAWS 2019 & the latest version of windows
I just got off of the phone with the Microsoft Help Desk regarding an issue.
While she was fixing my problem, she informed me that the October version of
Windows 10 doesn't work with JAWS 2019. Again, Microsoft went plowing ahead
without checking with the blind.

Rob Kaiser Email;

rcubfank@...

Gerald

Hi,

I suspect it has to do with Chromium Edge, and if yes, I urge Vispero to make an announcement soon.

Cheers,

Joseph

For those of you who are using JAWS 2019 and plan to install the Windows 10 October update, the following message, posted by someone on another list, may
be of interest.  Note that this message is based solely on the personal experience of its author, Rob Kaiser.  I'm just the messenger:

[GUI-Talk] problem with JAWS 2019 & the latest version of windows
I just got off of the phone with the Microsoft Help Desk regarding an issue.
While she was fixing my problem, she informed me that the October version of
Windows 10 doesn't work with JAWS 2019. Again, Microsoft went plowing ahead
without checking with the blind.

Rob Kaiser Email;

rcubfank@...

Gerald

Orlando Enrique Fiol

At 02:47 PM 10/23/2020, Joseph Lee wrote:
I suspect it has to do with Chromium Edge, and if yes, I urge Vispero
to make an announcement soon.
First of all, a Microsoft Disability answer Desk technician's assertions that the latest Windows release doesn't work with JAWS 2019 may be rumor or misinformation, since most of those folks have never actually tested any Windows releases with any screen readers.
Second, I see no real reason why JAWS 2019 must keep getting developed and updated in order to work with new Windows releases, when that version is already two versions behind the impending 2021. This is not a case of Microsoft steaming ahead without consulting the blind; it's a case of the blind not wanting to fork over cash for the most expensive screen reader on the market just to experience accessibility with current Windows releases.

Orlando Enrique Fiol
Charlotte, North Carolina
Ph.D. in Music theory
University of Pennsylvania: November, 2018