Sent: Saturday, January 23, 2021 11:11 AM
Subject: Re: Windows 10 Install

My only note is that the ISO offered will only be good for the duration of support for the 20H2 release, and once you go to 21H1 or later, should not be used.

But it's certainly the correct ISO of this moment.  I just don't want anyone to think that any given Windows 10 ISO file is "the" ISO file and has a perpetual shelf life.

           ~ André Gide

On Sat, Jan 23, 2021 at 12:15 PM, Glenn / Lenny wrote:
I found that the only way to get the ISO from Microsoft's site is to go to the download site with an operating system other than windows, otherwise you only get the stub installer, because Microsoft detects your operating system and won't give you the ISO option if you are already using Windows.
-
That is absolutely incorrect.  The Media Creation Tool (MCT) provided by Microsoft always gives you the option to create media for use on another computer, and when selected that will cause the ISO that is the current one to be downloaded.

I've posted these instructions many times, and the first covers getting the ISO file using the MCT while the second covers using the MCT to create a bootable USB drive with the Windows 10 install media on it:

Doing a Windows 10 Repair Install or Feature Update Using the Windows 10 ISO file

Doing a Completely Clean (Re)install of Windows 10 Using Media Creation Tool to Create Bootable Win10 Install Media on a USB Thumb Drive

and if you happen to have fetched the ISO file using the first set of instructions, there is no need to re-fetch it using the second.  You can simply burn it to bootable USB media using Rufus or a similar utility.

One never needs to use a different OS to fetch a Windows 10 ISO unless one has a dead machine.

           ~ André Gide

Glenn / Lenny

Yes, it downloads the ISO, but if you don't want to install at that time, it does not work.
With the ISO, you can burn it to DVD or USB, or use it in VmWare.
Perhaps I'm wrong, but when I went that far, I didn't want to wipe my system just to get the ISO, and that was the sense that I got while going that route.
Glenn

On Sat, Jan 23, 2021 at 12:54 PM, Glenn / Lenny wrote:
Yes, it downloads the ISO, but if you don't want to install at that time, it does not work.
-
Please don't spread misinformation based on user error, which is what this is.

The instructions I posted give clear, step-by-step, instructions for obtaining the Windows 10 ISO file that have been used, literally, hundreds of times.

           ~ André Gide

Glenn / Lenny

All I'm reporting is that without some confidence giving such as a tutorial for getting the ISO specifically, it is unclear using the stub from Microsoft that your system won't be wiped.
So I felt it safer to get it with Linux.
And apparently many people on-line felt the same, as when I researched how to get the ISO, I found a lot of posts of non-Blind users having the same challenge and also used Mac or Linux to obtain the ISO.
So if one wants to wipe their system anyway, you might feel comfortable doing it, or otherwise, follow Brian's tutorial first.
Glenn

On Sat, Jan 23, 2021 at 12:54 PM, Glenn / Lenny wrote:
Yes, it downloads the ISO, but if you don't want to install at that time, it does not work.
-
Please don't spread misinformation based on user error, which is what this is.

The instructions I posted give clear, step-by-step, instructions for obtaining the Windows 10 ISO file that have been used, literally, hundreds of times.

           ~ André Gide

Randy Barnett

hi, I'm sorry to have to side with Brian here. But you can download the iso directly from Microsoft you don't have to use the media creation tool or anything else I've done it many many times you just go to the Windows 10 downloads page to go down to more and there's a few tabs I don't remember the exact names of them you just open them off until you find the version of windows you want and you just download that iso. There's no secret or magic to it.

Randy Barnett

On Jan 23, 2021, at 10:43 AM, Glenn / Lenny <glennervin@...> wrote:

[...]

Well perhaps they have changed it from a few months back, because I spent a couple hours at the Microsoft site and only found an EXE file to download, and never was offered an ISO until I went to the site with Linux.
Can you provide a link for an ISO specifically?

Glenn

On Sat, Jan 23, 2021 at 02:18 PM, Randy Barnett wrote:
But you can download the iso directly from Microsoft you don't have to use the media creation tool
-
You are correct on this, too, but I personally use the MCT because it can (and often does) build an ISO file that is more recent as far as the patches that have been applied than the static ones you can download.  It also doesn't really take any additional time of significance and is, for many, quite a bit more user friendly.

But no matter what, you can download the Windows 10 ISO under Windows (any Windows).  Even Rufus now has a feature allowing the end user to download the ISO for any version of Windows 10, including ancient ones.

How to download Windows 10 ISO using Rufus

           ~ André Gide

Randy Barnett

Yes, Me too.

sorry Glen. You are correct and as often is the case MS changes things and takes away your choices... in that you can no longer get the .ISO directly from the ms site if you are running windows. You can use developer tools to spoof a non windows browser and they will show up. or use a non windows machine or a 3rd party download site or use Rufus to get it.

I imagine this is to reduce tech support costs...