moderated Windows 10 calculator refuse to display the answer

Michael Munn

hi all, I hope y'all have a nice day. i'm sending this email just want to ask y'all a question. Recently I experienced a problem windows 10 calculator. Everytime when I use it, it refuse to display the answers via Braille and speech output.  I don't know if y'all had  experienced this issue before. I'm using the latest update of Jaws 2021 Screenreader.  

JAWS Certified, 2019

Member: Georgia Association of Blind Students National Federation of the Blind of Georgia  

www.nfbga.org

Member: National association of Blind Students National Federation of the Blind 

www.nfb.org

Student of: Hadley Institute of the Blind 

www.hadley.edu

I realize this does not answer your question, but it does present another option should you prefer it.  I am not a huge fan of the Win10 calculator app, preferring the more "old-school" calculator.  I archived the installer for Microsoft Calculator Plus on my Google Drive quite a while back.

It's another option, and it neither removes nor replaces the Win10 Calculator App when installed.  It's what I keep on my taskbar as the calculator of choice.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 20H2, Build 19042  

To think is to differ.
      ~ Clarence Darrow

Loy

I had this issue and it was caused by a corrupt migration of settings from JAWS 2020 to JAWS 2021. Here are the steps to fix the problem from FS support.
1. Go to JAWS Insert + J
2. Go to the Utilities option
3. Right arrow to expand.
4. Down arrow to Explore Utilities folder and press Enter.
5. Down arrow to Explore My Settings and press Enter
6.Press Insert + T you should hear Enu.
7. If this is true then do Ctrl + A to select all.
8. Press Delete then Enter
9. Close JAWS and Relaunch JAWS.
10. After relaunching JAWS when asked if you want to migrate user settings tab to no and press Enter.
11. Let us know if you  still have problems.
I think what is happening is we are migrating corruption and this will allow us to start over with default settings.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, March 25, 2021 7:58 AM
Subject: Windows 10 calculator refuse to display the answer

hi all, I hope y'all have a nice day. i'm sending this email just want to ask y'all a question. Recently I experienced a problem windows 10 calculator. Everytime when I use it, it refuse to display the answers via Braille and speech output.  I don't know if y'all had  experienced this issue before. I'm using the latest update of Jaws 2021 Screenreader.  

JAWS Certified, 2019

Member: Georgia Association of Blind Students National Federation of the Blind of Georgia  

www.nfbga.org

www.nfb.org

www.hadley.edu

Richard Turner

So does this wipe out all your settings, so you have to go through and reset everything manually like voice, how much feedback chatter you get from Jaws, etc.?

If so, sounds like using a sledge hammer to kill a fly.

Richard

Ralph's Observation:  It is a mistake to allow any mechanical object<>to realize that you are in a hurry.

My web site, www.turner42.com

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Loy
Sent: Thursday, March 25, 2021 7:07 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Windows 10 calculator refuse to display the answer

I had this issue and it was caused by a corrupt migration of settings from JAWS 2020 to JAWS 2021. Here are the steps to fix the problem from FS support.

1. Go to JAWS Insert + J
10. After relaunching JAWS when asked if you want to migrate user settings tab to no and press Enter.
I think what is happening is we are migrating corruption and this will allow us to start over with default settings.

On Thu, Mar 25, 2021 at 10:10 AM, Richard Turner wrote:
If so, sounds like using a sledge hammer to kill a fly.
-
Agreed there!

--

To think is to differ.
      ~ Clarence Darrow

Richard Turner

Thanks for this Brian.

Note that when you run the .exe file, it is defaulting to conversion rther than simple calculations, though they work.

It also doesn’t speak but it shows up nicely on a braille display.  With Jaws you can just read the current line to get the result, pretty easy.

To change the setting, hit alt+v and I find choosing standard and/or classic works very nicely.

I obviously haven’t tested it extensively, but this is way better than the Windows 10 app with Jaws.

Unless the solution of nuking your settings that was mentioned makes the Windows 10 calculator work as advertised in the Jaws 2021 latest update….?

Richard

Ralph's Observation:  It is a mistake to allow any mechanical object<>to realize that you are in a hurry.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Thursday, March 25, 2021 6:46 AM

I realize this does not answer your question, but it does present another option should you prefer it.  I am not a huge fan of the Win10 calculator app, preferring the more "old-school" calculator.  I archived the installer for Microsoft Calculator Plus on my Google Drive quite a while back.

It's another option, and it neither removes nor replaces the Win10 Calculator App when installed.  It's what I keep on my taskbar as the calculator of choice.
--

To think is to differ.
      ~ Clarence Darrow

Richard Turner

One more follow-up to this idea of nuking your entire settings … in my Jaws 2021 Enu settings, there is nothing, nada, nowhere, anything about a calculator.

IN my Jaws 2020 enu folder there is a file called: Calc.jcf; the only file related to anything calculator related.

Perhaps the issue is that file should be in the 2021 folder but isn’t because Jaws missed it when migrating settings?

I don’t know. 

I don’t think I can damage anything by copying it over to my Jaws 2021 but I won’t do that unless someone who knows more about the inner-world of Jaws mania confirms that is a good idea.

Richard

1. Go to JAWS Insert + J

Richard,

It has been so long since I actually ran the installer that I have no idea what its default choices are.  I know that I have Calculator Plus, under its View Menu, set to Standard [ALT+V,T] and the secondary option for Classic View [ALT+V,L] chosen which makes it look and behave virtually precisely like the Windows calculator most of us have known and loved "since dirt."

Just the ease of copying the result of any calculation and being able to paste it elsewhere is one of the things that keeps me with Calculator Plus.

--

To think is to differ.
      ~ Clarence Darrow

Richard Turner

Yes, it looks to be a great answer to the bloated Win 10 calculator and yes, alt+v and you have all kinds of options.

And, if you want to do conversions, it is quite easy to switch to that and use if from to fields.

I’d forgotten about this little gem.

Thanks for sharing it.

I remember it from the olden days, (grin).

Richard

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Thursday, March 25, 2021 7:45 AM

Richard,

It has been so long since I actually ran the installer that I have no idea what its default choices are.  I know that I have Calculator Plus, under its View Menu, set to Standard [ALT+V,T] and the secondary option for Classic View [ALT+V,L] chosen which makes it look and behave virtually precisely like the Windows calculator most of us have known and loved "since dirt."

Just the ease of copying the result of any calculation and being able to paste it elsewhere is one of the things that keeps me with Calculator Plus.

--

To think is to differ.
      ~ Clarence Darrow

Loy

In my situation there was not anything in there about calculator as well, But after FS tech support deleted  all these settings fixed the problem. I went back and ran the start up wizard and reset  all my settings I can't say that this would fix your problem, but it sounds like it might be a similar problem that I had..

Sent: Thursday, March 25, 2021 10:42 AM

One more follow-up to this idea of nuking your entire settings … in my Jaws 2021 Enu settings, there is nothing, nada, nowhere, anything about a calculator.

IN my Jaws 2020 enu folder there is a file called: Calc.jcf; the only file related to anything calculator related.

Perhaps the issue is that file should be in the 2021 folder but isn’t because Jaws missed it when migrating settings?

I don’t know. 

I don’t think I can damage anything by copying it over to my Jaws 2021 but I won’t do that unless someone who knows more about the inner-world of Jaws mania confirms that is a good idea.

Richard

1. Go to JAWS Insert + J

Bill White

I am also using the latest builds of Windows 10, and of JAWS. I am not having trouble listening to the results of my calculations.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Michael Munn
Sent: Thursday, March 25, 2021 4:58 AM

Error! Filename not specified.

www.nfbga.org

www.nfb.org

www.hadley.edu

Bill White

I very rarely use the migration feature of JAWS, because, when I have done so in the past, I have experienced this same corruption of the JAWS configuration files. This time it's the calculator that was corrupted, but it could be others as well. If I would like my JAWS to work as expected, I have found it better just to skip the migration, and to customize my settings manually. What I have done is to write a file containing all the changes I make to JAWS settings, so I don't forget to change something when the JAWS version changes.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Loy

1. Go to JAWS Insert + J

www.nfbga.org

www.nfb.org

www.hadley.edu

Milton Ota

Sometimes if you are having trouble, it would be best to not use the auto update from JAWS and go to the website and download the update from there.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Bill White
Sent: Thursday, March 25, 2021 10:48 AM

I very rarely use the migration feature of JAWS, because, when I have done so in the past, I have experienced this same corruption of the JAWS configuration files. This time it's the calculator that was corrupted, but it could be others as well. If I would like my JAWS to work as expected, I have found it better just to skip the migration, and to customize my settings manually. What I have done is to write a file containing all the changes I make to JAWS settings, so I don't forget to change something when the JAWS version changes.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

1. Go to JAWS Insert + J

www.nfbga.org

www.nfb.org

www.hadley.edu

Richard Turner

You answered my follow-up question without my asking.  Very good.

I will say that I went ahead and followed the instructions to delete the settings sent by Loy and after running the startup wizard.

I had to then go in and reselect my preferred voice and braille display, but the Windows calculator does speak and display on the braille display very nicely.

I will see if there are other things I need to put back to rights, but so far, so good.

Though, Brian’s older basic Microsoft Calculator does work very nicely, though Jaws doesn’t speak the info without you using the read commands.

Richard

Sent: Thursday, March 25, 2021 8:48 AM

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

1. Go to JAWS Insert + J

www.nfbga.org

www.nfb.org

www.hadley.edu

Glenn / Lenny

Something to try is to take the calc.exe and any other associated calc files in c:\windows\ from a windows 7 system and see if they work in windows 10.
I used to do this with some programs that Microsoft stopped including.
I just put the calc.exe from my windows 7 into my open drive, and if anyone wants to try it on windows 10, here's a link:
I didn't find any associated calc files in c:\windows, so maybe it will work as is.
Glenn

Sent: Thursday, March 25, 2021 8:46 AM

--

To think is to differ.
      ~ Clarence Darrow

Bill White

Hi, Milton. I don't think the autoupdate feature of JAWS was the culprit this time. I think it is the migration feature that allows one to transfer the settings from the previous version of JAWS to the version being installed.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Milton Ota
Sent: Thursday, March 25, 2021 8:57 AM

Sometimes if you are having trouble, it would be best to not use the auto update from JAWS and go to the website and download the update from there.

Sent: Thursday, March 25, 2021 10:48 AM

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

1. Go to JAWS Insert + J

www.nfbga.org

www.nfb.org

www.hadley.edu

JM Casey

Hey guys.

If you don’t like or can’t use the Windows 10 calculator for whatever reason, just download the classic one from Winaero. Yes, the same people who brought you “the Tweaker”.

https://winaero.com/get-calculator-from-windows-8-and-windows-7-in-windows-10/

I personally love the Win 10 calc because of all its extended modes.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Glenn / Lenny
Sent: March 25, 2021 12:20 PM

Something to try is to take the calc.exe and any other associated calc files in c:\windows\ from a windows 7 system and see if they work in windows 10.

I just put the calc.exe from my windows 7 into my open drive, and if anyone wants to try it on windows 10, here's a link:

I didn't find any associated calc files in c:\windows, so maybe it will work as is.

Glenn

--

To think is to differ.
      ~ Clarence Darrow

Richard Turner

Note, that if you follow the nuclear option and dump all your settings, you will have to reinstall any custom scripts as well.

But, the good news, is after dropping the bomb on the settings the Windows Calculator works again as expected.  Was it worth it?  Probably not.

Richard

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of JM Casey
Sent: Thursday, March 25, 2021 2:56 PM

Hey guys.

If you don’t like or can’t use the Windows 10 calculator for whatever reason, just download the classic one from Winaero. Yes, the same people who brought you “the Tweaker”.

https://winaero.com/get-calculator-from-windows-8-and-windows-7-in-windows-10/

I personally love the Win 10 calc because of all its extended modes.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Glenn / Lenny
Sent: March 25, 2021 12:20 PM

Glenn

--

To think is to differ.
      ~ Clarence Darrow