moderated will the new jaws version work on windows 7

G. Gray

Hi Listers-

I see the new version of Jaws is available....2022.01  I understand this will NOT work on Windows 7...is this true?  I do not want to download and install if it will cause problems...thanks!!!

--
Listening for the Shout!,

1 Thessalonians 4:16-18

George

Hareth

No, It won't work as FS announced. check the link:
https://support.freedomscientific.com/About/News/Article/216

On 10/27/21, G. Gray <geogray@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
Hi Listers-

I see the new version of Jaws is available....2022.01  I understand this
will NOT work on Windows 7...is this true?  I do not want to download
and install if it will cause problems...thanks!!!

--
Listening for the Shout!,

1 Thessalonians 4:16-18

George

Jeff Christiansen

Resoundingly, no

Sent From My Mobile

On Oct 27, 2021, at 03:51, Hareth <hareth4m@gmail.com> wrote:

No, It won't work as FS announced. check the link:
https://support.freedomscientific.com/About/News/Article/216

On 10/27/21, G. Gray <geogray@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
Hi Listers-

I see the new version of Jaws is available....2022.01 I understand this
will NOT work on Windows 7...is this true? I do not want to download
and install if it will cause problems...thanks!!!

--
Listening for the Shout!,

1 Thessalonians 4:16-18

George

Jacob

It'll not let you install at all on unsupported systems :-) So even you download it you can't do any thing wrong...

OZ0TE Jacob

On 10/27/21, G. Gray <geogray@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

Hi Listers-

I see the new version of Jaws is available....2022.01 I understand this
will NOT work on Windows 7...is this true? I do not want to download
and install if it will cause problems...thanks!!!

--
Listening for the Shout!,

1 Thessalonians 4:16-18

George

John Covici

It might work, but its not supported, so if it does not work, you are
sol.

On Wed, 27 Oct 2021 05:50:58 -0400,
Hareth wrote:

No, It won't work as FS announced. check the link:
https://support.freedomscientific.com/About/News/Article/216

On 10/27/21, G. Gray <geogray@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
Hi Listers-

I see the new version of Jaws is available....2022.01  I understand this
will NOT work on Windows 7...is this true?  I do not want to download
and install if it will cause problems...thanks!!!

--
Listening for the Shout!,

1 Thessalonians 4:16-18

George

How do
you spend it?

John Covici wb2una
covici@ccs.covici.com

Steve Nutt

In the What's New it says that Windows 7 and 8 support has ended for JAWS, so 2022 won't run on Windows 7.

All the best

Steve

Computer Room Services
77 Exeter Close
Stevenage
Hertfordshire
SG1 4PW
T: +44(0)1438-742286
M: +44(0)7956-334938
F: +44(0)1438-759589
E: steve@comproom.co.uk
I see the new version of Jaws is available....2022.01 I understand this will NOT work on Windows 7...is this true? I do not want to download and install if it will cause problems...thanks!!!

--
Listening for the Shout!,

1 Thessalonians 4:16-18

George

Glenn / Lenny

So if you have only the yearly subscription, you are screwed as far as Jaws goes, because if you want to use a perfectly fine windows, your yearly subscription will stop working, and you cannot just get a new yearly subscription for your older windows.

No, It won't work as FS announced. check the link:
https://support.freedomscientific.com/About/News/Article/216

On 10/27/21, G. Gray <geogray@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
Hi Listers-

I see the new version of Jaws is available....2022.01Â I understand this
will NOT work on Windows 7...is this true? I do not want to download
and install if it will cause problems...thanks!!!

--
Listening for the Shout!,

1 Thessalonians 4:16-18

George

Chris

You will have to upgrade your version of windows if you are that desperate for the latest jaws

I see the new version of Jaws is available....2022.01  I understand this

will NOT work on Windows 7...is this true?  I do not want to download

and install if it will cause problems...thanks!!!

--

Listening for the Shout!,

1 Thessalonians 4:16-18

George

Jim Weiss <jimweiss72@...>

You can still use a yearly subscription that will keep JAWS 2021 going for another year, you just won’t get the update to JAWS 2022. If you so desired you could use a yearly subscription and stay on JAWS 2020, you are never forced to upgrade. If you turn off automatic updates and don’t check the website you wouldn’t even know that a new version was available.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Hareth" <hareth4m@gmail.com>
No, It won't work as FS announced. check the link:
https://support.freedomscientific.com/About/News/Article/216

On 10/27/21, G. Gray <geogray@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
Hi Listers-

I see the new version of Jaws is available....2022.01Â I understand this
will NOT work on Windows 7...is this true? I do not want to download
and install if it will cause problems...thanks!!!

--
Listening for the Shout!,

1 Thessalonians 4:16-18

George

Glenn / Lenny

Maybe I'm wrong here, but I was told that folks cannot renew their older version of Jaws, it's get the new version or nothing.
If it's the case that windows 7 & 8 users cannot use the yearly subscription of Jaws, then FS should make a free version of Jaws for older systems.
That would be a good will gesture on their part, and they have to know that someday 7 & 8 will be as difficult to use on-line as XP is now, so they should not fear losing customers, unless they are just interested into bullying everyone into using newer windows so they can still selling yearly subscriptions.

You can still use a yearly subscription that will keep JAWS 2021 going for another year, you just wonâ?Tt get the update to JAWS 2022. If you so desired you could use a yearly subscription and stay on JAWS 2020, you are never forced to upgrade. If you turn off automatic updates and donâ?Tt check the website you wouldnâ?Tt even know that a new version was available.

On Oct 27, 2021, at 10:13 AM, Glenn / Lenny <glenn@ervin.email> wrote:

So if you have only the yearly subscription, you are screwed as far as Jaws goes, because if you want to use a perfectly fine windows, your yearly subscription will stop working, and you cannot just get a new yearly subscription for your older windows.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Hareth" <hareth4m@gmail.com>
No, It won't work as FS announced. check the link:
https://support.freedomscientific.com/About/News/Article/216

On 10/27/21, G. Gray <geogray@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
Hi Listers-

I see the new version of Jaws is available....2022.01Ã, I understand this
will NOT work on Windows 7...is this true?Ã, I do not want to download
and install if it will cause problems...thanks!!!

--
Listening for the Shout!,

1 Thessalonians 4:16-18

George

On Wed, Oct 27, 2021 at 10:56 AM, Don Mauck wrote:
I hope you realize that running Windows7 is a serious security risk to your entire system.
-
In addition, not-so-slowly but surely, any Windows-based software that is still undergoing development is going to stop working with Windows 7.  We're already six plus years in to the Windows 10 era, which itself will draw to a close in October 2025.

If someone wants to use the Windows ecosystem then they must keep their version as an officially supported one, as the number of security patches that come out in any given year as nefarious players find ever-more-clever ways in, are numerous.  Right now, for screen reader users, I'd stick with Windows 10.  Give Windows 11 at least six months (next April) if not longer to get through its shake out period and to allow for the screen reader developers to get through that period as well.

Attempting to continue using Windows 7 at this point in time is going to relegate your entire computing world into irrelevancy and inability to be updated.  That process is already well underway.

    ~ William Plomer

Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@...>

What is perfectly fine about a version of Windows which is no longer supported even with security updates? You could then say as well that Windows XP or Windows 98 was a perfectly fine version of Windows.
When it comes to operating systems and other software there comes a time when you just have to move on. I would say now that Windows 11 has already been released, Windows 10 has been available for 6 years and it's coming up to 2 years in January since Windows 7 stopped getting updates that time has come and I don't blame Jaws that they stopped supporting Windows 7, there are probably reasons for it beyond them having a chuckle and saying "let's screw all the remaining Windows 7 users".

So if you have only the yearly subscription, you are screwed as far as Jaws goes, because if you want to use a perfectly fine windows, your yearly subscription will stop working, and you cannot just get a new yearly subscription for your older windows.

No, It won't work as FS announced. check the link:
https://support.freedomscientific.com/About/News/Article/216

On 10/27/21, G. Gray <geogray@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
Hi Listers-

I see the new version of Jaws is available....2022.01Â I understand this
will NOT work on Windows 7...is this true? I do not want to download
and install if it will cause problems...thanks!!!

--
Listening for the Shout!,

1 Thessalonians 4:16-18

George

Glenn / Lenny

They don't need to support it, they've been there, done that.
Now they just need to let people use their screenreader on the old system.
But there's always the Jaws hack out there for anyone wanting to use Jaws on their windows 7 or 8.
So FS not allowing folks to use the yearly subscription version on their old windows is inviting people to discover the Jaws hack, which will run for free, the only thing it does not do is jaws tandem.
FS did something similar, back in the old days of Open Book, they provided a free slim version of Jaws called Connect Outloud.

On Wed, Oct 27, 2021 at 12:48 PM, Sieghard Weitzel wrote:
When it comes to operating systems and other software there comes a time when you just have to move on.
-
That is the long and the short of it.

You use the OS within a given maker's ecosystem that is in support.  Period.  End of sentence.

Believe it or not, choice is not even in the picture and it never has been.  Whether you like the situation or not is irrelevant, too.  And that's not limited to Windows, either.  Time and hardware and software marches on, and you can either go with the flow or end up being trampled or drowned (or both).

    ~ William Plomer

Tyler Wood

Hi,
I agree with everything said here.
There are countless resources available to get started using the newer windows versions. Windows versions that are no longer getting security updates should not be used on a daily basis - this is simply asking for all kinds of problems and you are risking any information that is on said machine, among a good number of programs and applications no longer supporting your, at this point, 11 year old operating system. Checking email, banking, even general, basic web browsing means that you are going to use a more outdated web browser and email client every day.
Perfectly good means secure, receiving regular updates pertaining to security fixes and patches. Perfectly good means compatibility with the applications you use on a daily basis, along with their updates which in and of themselves contain security fixes, bug fixes and improvements. Perfectly good means a user can feel safe, comfortable and secure using their operating system and the files therein. Perfectly good does not mean an operating system which, day by day, will become less and less secure - in an age where that is already being taken seriously on systems that are fully up to date. Windows 7 is 2 years on from being officially supported and updated. It is time to move on, and I thank freedom scientific for doing just that, which will bring more inevation and compatibility with things here and now, like Windows 11.

Tyler

Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@...>

And on top of that I have yet to see a computer with Windows 7 which can't run Windows 10 just as well, I have Windows 10 on my 8-year old laptop which we still use occasionally at my store if we need something we can move around and it runs just as good on it as Windows 7 did.

[...]

Why do you say FS doesn't allow people to use the subscription license on their old system? Can you not run Jaws 2021 with a subscription license on a Windows 7 computer?
I am pretty sure you can and I think what you object to is the fact that you would be paying for the license without the benefit of being able to run the latest version of Jaws on an old Windows 7 computer.

No, It won't work as FS announced. check the link:
https://support.freedomscientific.com/About/News/Article/216

On 10/27/21, G. Gray <geogray@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
Hi Listers-

I see the new version of Jaws is available....2022.01Â I understand this
will NOT work on Windows 7...is this true? I do not want to download
and install if it will cause problems...thanks!!!

--
Listening for the Shout!,

1 Thessalonians 4:16-18

George

Glenn / Lenny

When the year runs out, it quits working.

[...]

If you continue to pay your subscription I doubt it will quit working.

When the year runs out, it quits working.

No, It won't work as FS announced. check the link:
https://support.freedomscientific.com/About/News/Article/216

On 10/27/21, G. Gray <geogray@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
Hi Listers-

I see the new version of Jaws is available....2022.01Â I understand this
will NOT work on Windows 7...is this true? I do not want to download
and install if it will cause problems...thanks!!!

--
Listening for the Shout!,

1 Thessalonians 4:16-18

George

Glenn / Lenny

I believe that you have to pay a subscription for a newer version, I don't think from information gathered from this and other lists, that one can keep paying a subscription for an old version.
If this is incorrect, then all is good.
Glenn