moderated Will SMA's continue, was RE: Freedom Scientific Software Sale

Richard Turner

IN response to Gerald’s statement below, I wrote Eric Damery directly on Sunday, July 4, and received a response today.

Here is my question to him:

Good morning, or afternoon; whenever you read this,

On one of the Jaws lists, the issue of to SMA or not to SMA has been coming up because of the sale.

It is being said that the SMA is going to be faded out and everyone wil be forced into the annual license.

Is that true?

Here is his response:

Hi Richard,

Not at all. There are currently two options and I expect that to continue.

If you are in ILM and current, maintaining a two year SMA is an option today. $150 is retail and you can get it during the show for $120. Pretty good deal.

For those who have let their license lapse, or don't own one, than paying annually with the Portal solution will likely be less expensive and thousands of customers have gone that direction.

Eric

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gerald Levy via groups.io
Sent: Sunday, July 4, 2021 6:45 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Freedom Scientific Software Sale

Eventually, the SMA option is expected to be phased out, and all JAWS users will be switched to the annual subscription option, which will be more profitable for Freedom Scientific.

Gerald

On 7/4/2021 9:13 AM, Marie wrote:

If you have the SMA, why in the world would you switch to an annual subscription?

Marie

On 7/3/2021 1:24 PM, William Vandervest wrote:

If I have a SMA with no upgrades, how do I determine when it will expire, and if I purchase a Home Annual Licence, will it start immediately, or at the time my SMA expires?

William Vandervest

timelord09@...

Win10 latest revision

There are none so blind, as those who will not see.

William Vandervest

u

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Mike B
Sent: Saturday, July 3, 2021 12:06
To: JList
Subject: Freedom Scientific Software Sale

----- Original Message -----

WordPress.com

New post on Freedom Scientific Blog
avatar/1f25be95346904cf356387171bfc7549

Take Advantage of our Software Discounts
by
Elizabeth Whitaker

Freedom Scientific is offering a 20 percent discount on software for customers living in the U.S. With the National Federation of the Blind (NFB) 2021
National Convention right around the corner, there’s no better time to purchase a new software license or renew an existing one.

Home Annual License

Receive a 20 percent discount when purchasing a new Home Annual license of JAWS, ZoomText, or Fusion. Visit the
Home Annual page of the Freedom Scientific e-store to purchase your license. You will not need a code to receive this discount. It will be automatically applied upon purchase.

If you already have a Home Annual license and want to renew it, log into the
Freedom Scientific Licensing Portal,

and select Renew. The discount is automatically applied to your purchase. The renewal term you choose will be added onto the end of your existing license
no matter where you are in your current term.

Home ILM Upgrades and SMAs

If you have a Home Internet License Manager (ILM) and need to purchase an upgrade or add a software maintenance agreement (SMA), the same 20 percent discount
applies. Visit the
Freedom Scientific Serial Number Lookup Page

and enter your serial number to check your licensing status. You will not need a code to receive this discount. It will be automatically applied when
purchasing an ILM or SMA.

OpenBook

Currently, OpenBook software for home use is specially priced at $195.00, but you can get this price only by calling Freedom Scientific Customer Service
at 800-444-4443.

Pro Licenses

If you have purchased a Pro license for JAWS, ZoomText, or Fusion for use at home, you can receive a 20 percent discount when purchasing an upgrade and/or
SMA. Contact Customer Service at 800-444-4443 to receive this discount. The 20 percent discount will apply to the Pro software upgrades and SMAs for users
who want to keep their Pro licenses rather than switching to home licenses.

Vispero NFB Event Page

Visit the
Vispero NFB Event

page for all the details, plus learn about discounts for low vision hardware devices and the Pearl camera. Check out Vispero’s schedule of events and
join us at the 2021 NFB National Convention!

Elizabeth Whitaker
 | July 2, 2021 at 7:48 pm | Tags:
Freedom-Scientific-Licensing-Portal,
Freedom-Scientific-software,
Freedom-Scientific-software-updates

David Diamond

Richard, if you have an occasion to email Eric again, could you ask him if he has any date as to when sales like below will be offered to Canadians?  The subscriptions to JAWS have been around for years, yet Canadians still have to purchase the SMA rather then going the subscription route. Time and time again the response is, “It will be available in Canada eventually.”  This reminds me of a phrase decades ago.  “Some of you are thinking about … and next year you will still be thinking about it.” 

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Richard Turner
Sent: July 6, 2021 5:49 AM
Subject: Will SMA's continue, was RE: Freedom Scientific Software Sale

IN response to Gerald’s statement below, I wrote Eric Damery directly on Sunday, July 4, and received a response today.

On one of the Jaws lists, the issue of to SMA or not to SMA has been coming up because of the sale.

It is being said that the SMA is going to be faded out and everyone wil be forced into the annual license.

Is that true?

Here is his response:

Hi Richard,

If you are in ILM and current, maintaining a two year SMA is an option today. $150 is retail and you can get it during the show for $120. Pretty good deal.

For those who have let their license lapse, or don't own one, than paying annually with the Portal solution will likely be less expensive and thousands of customers have gone that direction.

Eric

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gerald Levy via groups.io

Eventually, the SMA option is expected to be phased out, and all JAWS users will be switched to the annual subscription option, which will be more profitable for Freedom Scientific.

Gerald

If you have the SMA, why in the world would you switch to an annual subscription?

Marie

If I have a SMA with no upgrades, how do I determine when it will expire, and if I purchase a Home Annual Licence, will it start immediately, or at the time my SMA expires?

William Vandervest

timelord09@...

Win10 latest revision

William Vandervest

u

WordPress.com

by
Elizabeth Whitaker

Freedom Scientific is offering a 20 percent discount on software for customers living in the U.S. With the National Federation of the Blind (NFB) 2021
National Convention right around the corner, there’s no better time to purchase a new software license or renew an existing one.

Home Annual License

Receive a 20 percent discount when purchasing a new Home Annual license of JAWS, ZoomText, or Fusion. Visit the
Home Annual page of the Freedom Scientific e-store to purchase your license. You will not need a code to receive this discount. It will be automatically applied upon purchase.

and select Renew. The discount is automatically applied to your purchase. The renewal term you choose will be added onto the end of your existing license

If you have a Home Internet License Manager (ILM) and need to purchase an upgrade or add a software maintenance agreement (SMA), the same 20 percent discount
applies. Visit the

and enter your serial number to check your licensing status. You will not need a code to receive this discount. It will be automatically applied when

OpenBook

Currently, OpenBook software for home use is specially priced at $195.00, but you can get this price only by calling Freedom Scientific Customer Service
at 800-444-4443.

Pro Licenses

If you have purchased a Pro license for JAWS, ZoomText, or Fusion for use at home, you can receive a 20 percent discount when purchasing an upgrade and/or
SMA. Contact Customer Service at 800-444-4443 to receive this discount. The 20 percent discount will apply to the Pro software upgrades and SMAs for users

Vispero NFB Event Page

Visit the
Vispero NFB Event

page for all the details, plus learn about discounts for low vision hardware devices and the Pearl camera. Check out Vispero’s schedule of events and

Elizabeth Whitaker

Jim Weiss <jimweiss72@...>

David,
I am not Richard, but Eric is at the NFB Convention this week and I am sorry to say but the response hasn’t changed much.  “They are still working on making the subscription model available outside of the U.S>”.
Regards,

Jim Weiss

On Jul 6, 2021, at 3:50 PM, David Diamond <Daviddiamond2019@...> wrote:

Richard, if you have an occasion to email Eric again, could you ask him if he has any date as to when sales like below will be offered to Canadians?  The subscriptions to JAWS have been around for years, yet Canadians still have to purchase the SMA rather then going the subscription route. Time and time again the response is, “It will be available in Canada eventually.”  This reminds me of a phrase decades ago.  “Some of you are thinking about … and next year you will still be thinking about it.”  

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Richard Turner
Sent: July 6, 2021 5:49 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Will SMA's continue, was RE: Freedom Scientific Software Sale

Is that true?

Here is his response:

Hi Richard,

Eric

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gerald Levy via groups.io
Sent: Sunday, July 4, 2021 6:45 AM
Subject: Re: Freedom Scientific Software Sale

Gerald 

Marie

William Vandervest
Win10 latest revision

William Vandervest

u

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Mike B
Sent: Saturday, July 3, 2021 12:06
To: JList
Subject: Freedom Scientific Software Sale

by 
Elizabeth Whitaker

Home Annual License

applies. Visit the 

OpenBook

at 800-444-4443.

Pro Licenses

Vispero NFB Event Page

Visit the 
Vispero NFB Event

Elizabeth Whitaker

David Diamond

Jim, I just put in Richard’s name because I thought it sounded rude just to eliminate any name.  Smile. As for, “They are still working on making the subscription model available outside of the U.S>” It sounds like the term I referred to earlier.  Some of you are thinking about … and next year you will still be thinking about it.  I think the making of the subscription available to non U S citizens has been bandied around since Freedom scientific was still freedom scientific, now Visparo. 

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jim Weiss via groups.io
Sent: July 6, 2021 12:58 PM
Subject: Re: Will SMA's continue, was RE: Freedom Scientific Software Sale

David,

I am not Richard, but Eric is at the NFB Convention this week and I am sorry to say but the response hasn’t changed much.  “They are still working on making the subscription model available outside of the U.S>”.

Regards,

Jim Weiss

Is that true?

Here is his response:

Hi Richard,

Eric

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gerald Levy via groups.io

Gerald 

Marie

William Vandervest

Win10 latest revision

William Vandervest

u

by 
Elizabeth Whitaker

Home Annual License

applies. Visit the 

OpenBook

at 800-444-4443.

Pro Licenses

Vispero NFB Event Page

Visit the 
Vispero NFB Event

Elizabeth Whitaker

Vaughan Dodd

I know that my reply to this is coming late, and maybe things have moved on.

I live in New Zealand, and my dealer has advised that there is no advice regarding this. I have purchased my SMA feeling a bit pressured by the discussion on the list. (Nobody’s fault though) as it is Freedom Scientific Vispero sparked speculation.

It is possible to imagine a period in my computer usage behaviour beyond  JAWS so two years of license ownership suffices for me at present.

Vaughan.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jim Weiss via groups.io
Sent: Wednesday, 7 July 2021 7:58 am

David,

Regards,

Jim Weiss

Is that true?

Here is his response:

Hi Richard,

Eric

Gerald 

Marie

William Vandervest

Win10 latest revision

William Vandervest

u

by 
Elizabeth Whitaker

Home Annual License

applies. Visit the 

OpenBook

at 800-444-4443.

Pro Licenses

Vispero NFB Event Page

Visit the 
Vispero NFB Event

Elizabeth Whitaker

Loy

Is that true?

Here is his response:

Hi Richard,

Eric

Gerald

Marie

William Vandervest

timelord09@...

Win10 latest revision

William Vandervest

u

WordPress.com

by
Elizabeth Whitaker

Home Annual License

applies. Visit the

OpenBook

at 800-444-4443.

Pro Licenses

Vispero NFB Event Page

Visit the
Vispero NFB Event

Elizabeth Whitaker

David Diamond

Vaughan, all this flowery talk about subscriptions verses SMA, is, nice for Americans.  However, you and I could never take advantage of any of it because we do not live in the U S.  The explanation seemed to be from Visparo and Freedom before that was, they are working on making the subscription available to ones outside the U S. However, With the expediency that they seem to be moving on this venture, 2025 is not an unreasonable year as to when they may or may not have subscriptions available to non U S citizens. Especially when you factor in that they’ve been working on this query for years litteraryly.    

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Vaughan Dodd
Sent: July 17, 2021 3:14 PM

I live in New Zealand, and my dealer has advised that there is no advice regarding this. I have purchased my SMA feeling a bit pressured by the discussion on the list. (Nobody’s fault though) as it is Freedom Scientific Vispero sparked speculation.

It is possible to imagine a period in my computer usage behaviour beyond  JAWS so two years of license ownership suffices for me at present.

Vaughan.

David,

Regards,

Jim Weiss

Is that true?

Here is his response:

Hi Richard,

Eric

Gerald 

Marie

William Vandervest

Win10 latest revision

William Vandervest

u

by 
Elizabeth Whitaker

Home Annual License

applies. Visit the 

OpenBook

at 800-444-4443.

Pro Licenses

Vispero NFB Event Page

Visit the 
Vispero NFB Event

Elizabeth Whitaker

Vaughan Dodd

My dealer explained that the website is  primarily just for the ,us. So dealers vary in how proactive they are. We do not owe any loyalty to visor to and I don't have any loyalty to them.

Vaughan.

Vaughan Dodd

Vdodd001@...

+6421 784 856

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> on behalf of David Diamond <Daviddiamond2019@...>
Sent: Sunday, July 18, 2021 2:27:32 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io>

Vaughan, all this flowery talk about subscriptions verses SMA, is, nice for Americans.  However, you and I could never take advantage of any of it because we do not live in the U S.  The explanation seemed to be from Visparo and Freedom before that was, they are working on making the subscription available to ones outside the U S. However, With the expediency that they seem to be moving on this venture, 2025 is not an unreasonable year as to when they may or may not have subscriptions available to non U S citizens. Especially when you factor in that they’ve been working on this query for years litteraryly.    

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Vaughan Dodd
Sent: July 17, 2021 3:14 PM

Vaughan.

David,

Regards,

Jim Weiss

Is that true?

Here is his response:

Hi Richard,

Eric

Gerald 

Marie

William Vandervest

Win10 latest revision

William Vandervest

u

by 
Elizabeth Whitaker

Home Annual License

applies. Visit the 

OpenBook

at 800-444-4443.

Pro Licenses

Vispero NFB Event Page

Visit the 
Vispero NFB Event

Elizabeth Whitaker