moderated Why are basic symbols not being spoken?

Richard B. McDonald

Hi!

I am using Windows 10 and JAWS 2020.  Various basic symbols are not being spoken presently, when in the past they were.  For example, below is the “section symbol”:

§

Instead of JAWS speaking “section” it says “character 167.”  This symbol was inserted above using the JAWSKey+4 command.  So, it is not some rare, strange symbol.  In the past, JAWS use to properly speak it.

What has changed?  Is it, perhaps, some setting in my speech scheme or some other setting?

Thanks,

Richard

Leo

Hi Richard, I believe I heard something about this issue on a different mailing list, but I didn’t pay much of attention; however, if I recall well, it was something related to spelling alphanumeric data or spelling phonetically. You may check them out. In my case, this is not happening at all, and I have both of those options turned off. I’m sorry for the vagueness  of my feedback, but that’s all I got, may be someone familiarized with this issue will give you spot-on instructions.

Best,

Leo Bado.

"It seems to me that I will always be happy in the place where I am not." Paul Auster. "City of Glass"

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Richard B. McDonald
Sent: Thursday, September 9, 2021 6:51 AM
To: jfw@groups.io
Subject: Why are basic symbols not being spoken?

Hi!

I am using Windows 10 and JAWS 2020.  Various basic symbols are not being spoken presently, when in the past they were.  For example, below is the “section symbol”:

§

Instead of JAWS speaking “section” it says “character 167.”  This symbol was inserted above using the JAWSKey+4 command.  So, it is not some rare, strange symbol.  In the past, JAWS use to properly speak it.

What has changed?  Is it, perhaps, some setting in my speech scheme or some other setting?

Thanks,

Richard

Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@...>

I don't experience this, for me Jaws correctly read the section symbol when I read your message and even now when composing a message where I have inserted the same symbol below Jaws speaks it correctly. Unfortunately I have no idea why it won't speak it for you, I use Eloquence by the way, not sure if it could be specific to the synthesizer you use if you use a different one.

§

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Leo
Sent: September 9, 2021 7:44 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Why are basic symbols not being spoken?

Hi Richard, I believe I heard something about this issue on a different mailing list, but I didn’t pay much of attention; however, if I recall well, it was something related to spelling alphanumeric data or spelling phonetically. You may check them out. In my case, this is not happening at all, and I have both of those options turned off. I’m sorry for the vagueness  of my feedback, but that’s all I got, may be someone familiarized with this issue will give you spot-on instructions.

Best,

Leo Bado.

"It seems to me that I will always be happy in the place where I am not." Paul Auster. "City of Glass"

Hi!

§

Thanks,

Richard

Richard,

Have you by any chance changed synths?   I ask because the section symbol can be inserted by typing 167 then hitting ALT+X immediately afterward in MS-Word.  Its unicode keystroke is ALT+0167.

It could be a character that one synth "recognizes" with a name and another doesn't.
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H1, Build 19043  

It is the function of creative men to perceive the relations between thoughts, or things, or forms of expression that may seem utterly different, and to be able to combine them into some new forms--the power to connect the seemingly unconnected.

~ William Plomer

Richard Turner <richardturner42@...>

Using Vocalizer Tom Premium the Section symbol is read just fine.

Perhaps a setting got changed under verbosity?

Richard

“Reality is the leading cause of stress for those who are in touch with it.” – Jane Wagner

My Web site: https://www.turner42.com

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Sieghard Weitzel
Sent: Thursday, September 9, 2021 8:52 AM

I don't experience this, for me Jaws correctly read the section symbol when I read your message and even now when composing a message where I have inserted the same symbol below Jaws speaks it correctly. Unfortunately I have no idea why it won't speak it for you, I use Eloquence by the way, not sure if it could be specific to the synthesizer you use if you use a different one.

§

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Leo
Sent: September 9, 2021 7:44 AM

Best,

Leo Bado.

Hi!

§

Thanks,

Richard

Richard B. McDonald

Hi Brian!

I am using Vocalizer Expressive.  I am aware of the ASCII command method in Word for inserting symbols, but in this case I used the JAWSKey+4 method.  However, Either way it ought to be spoken.

Thanks,

Richard

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Thursday, September 09, 2021 9:01 AM

Richard,

Have you by any chance changed synths?   I ask because the section symbol can be inserted by typing 167 then hitting ALT+X immediately afterward in MS-Word.  Its unicode keystroke is ALT+0167.

It could be a character that one synth "recognizes" with a name and another doesn't.
--

It is the function of creative men to perceive the relations between thoughts, or things, or forms of expression that may seem utterly different, and to be able to combine them into some new forms--the power to connect the seemingly unconnected.

~ William Plomer

On Sat, Sep 11, 2021 at 11:27 AM, Richard B. McDonald wrote:
Either way it ought to be spoken.
-
Richard, what follows is not meant as a personal attack, but what ought to be is not the issue here.

What I'm saying is that you need to test to see if this might be a synth specific thing, just in case it is.

I agree that it makes little sense for a section marker to not be read as "section mark" when encountered, but if it's not, regardless of which synth you use, you then know it has to be a screen-reader setting.  If it changes depending on the synth, then there's likely nothing you can do except choose a different synth or complain to the maintainer of the synth you'd prefer to use about this.
--

~ William Plomer

Steve Nutt

Maybe it depends on your punctuation level?

I tried this with Vocalizer, and the word Section was spoken to me.

All the best

Steve

--

To subscribe to our News and Special Offers list, go to https://www.comproom.co.uk/subscribe

Computer Room Services

77 Exeter Close

Stevenage

Hertfordshire

SG1 4PW

T: +44(0)1438-742286

M: +44(0)7956-334938

F: +44(0)1438-759589

E: steve@...

W: https://www.comproom.co.uk

Sent: 11 September 2021 16:27

Hi Brian!

I am using Vocalizer Expressive.  I am aware of the ASCII command method in Word for inserting symbols, but in this case I used the JAWSKey+4 method.  However, Either way it ought to be spoken.

Thanks,

Richard

Sent: Thursday, September 09, 2021 9:01 AM

Richard,

--

~ William Plomer

On Sat, Sep 11, 2021 at 11:51 AM, Steve Nutt wrote:
-
That would be my next thing to look at.  Would it be possible for you to take a look at those settings and let us know what yours are?

--

~ William Plomer

Steve Nutt

Hi Brian,

My punctuation level is set to Most, but if you have it set to Some or None, these symbols may well not be spoken.

All the best

Steve

--

To subscribe to our News and Special Offers list, go to https://www.comproom.co.uk/subscribe

Computer Room Services

77 Exeter Close

Stevenage

Hertfordshire

SG1 4PW

T: +44(0)1438-742286

M: +44(0)7956-334938

F: +44(0)1438-759589

E: steve@...

W: https://www.comproom.co.uk

Sent: 11 September 2021 17:33

On Sat, Sep 11, 2021 at 11:51 AM, Steve Nutt wrote:

-
That would be my next thing to look at.  Would it be possible for you to take a look at those settings and let us know what yours are?

--

~ William Plomer