moderated Why are basic symbols not being spoken?

Richard B. McDonald

Hi!

I am using Windows 10 and JAWS 2020.  Various basic symbols are not being spoken presently, when in the past they were.  For example, below is the “section symbol”:

§

Instead of JAWS speaking “section” it says “character 167.”  This symbol was inserted above using the JAWSKey+4 command.  So, it is not some rare, strange symbol.  In the past, JAWS use to properly speak it.

What has changed?  Is it, perhaps, some setting in my speech scheme or some other setting?

Thanks,

Richard

Leo

Hi Richard, I believe I heard something about this issue on a different mailing list, but I didn’t pay much of attention; however, if I recall well, it was something related to spelling alphanumeric data or spelling phonetically. You may check them out. In my case, this is not happening at all, and I have both of those options turned off. I’m sorry for the vagueness  of my feedback, but that’s all I got, may be someone familiarized with this issue will give you spot-on instructions.

Best,

     Leo Bado.

I am using Windows 10 and JAWS 2020.  Various basic symbols are not being spoken presently, when in the past they were.  For example, below is the “section symbol”:

§

Instead of JAWS speaking “section” it says “character 167.”  This symbol was inserted above using the JAWSKey+4 command.  So, it is not some rare, strange symbol.  In the past, JAWS use to properly speak it.

What has changed?  Is it, perhaps, some setting in my speech scheme or some other setting?

Thanks,

Richard

Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@...>

I don't experience this, for me Jaws correctly read the section symbol when I read your message and even now when composing a message where I have inserted the same symbol below Jaws speaks it correctly. Unfortunately I have no idea why it won't speak it for you, I use Eloquence by the way, not sure if it could be specific to the synthesizer you use if you use a different one.

§

[...]

Richard,

Have you by any chance changed synths?   I ask because the section symbol can be inserted by typing 167 then hitting ALT+X immediately afterward in MS-Word.  Its unicode keystroke is ALT+0167.

It could be a character that one synth "recognizes" with a name and another doesn't.

    ~ William Plomer

Richard Turner <richardturner42@...>

Using Vocalizer Tom Premium the Section symbol is read just fine.

Perhaps a setting got changed under verbosity?

Richard

My Web site: https://www.turner42.com

[...]

Hi Brian!

I am using Vocalizer Expressive.  I am aware of the ASCII command method in Word for inserting symbols, but in this case I used the JAWSKey+4 method.  However, Either way it ought to be spoken.

Thanks,

Richard