Topics

moderated What's your thought on using Grammarly with Jaws

Michael Munn

Hi all, hope all is well I just installed Grammarly on my machine that I use everyday as a Microsoft Word  extension. I wonder what's your thought on this piece of extension? It's my first time using it and I haven't saw any change yet.
Hope to hear from you.
Best regards 
Michael Munn 

JAWS Certified, 2019

Member: Virginia Association of Blind Students National Federation of the Blind of Virginia 

www.nfbv.org

Student of: Hadley Institute of the Blind 

www.hadley.edu

Leo

Hi Michael,

how did you add this extension to Microsoft Word?

Just for you to know, I'm using office 2019 and would like to have something like this on my machine.

Best,
   Leo
On 3/30/2020 3:56 PM, Michael Munn wrote:

Hi all, hope all is well I just installed Grammarly on my machine that I use everyday as a Microsoft Word  extension. I wonder what's your thought on this piece of extension? It's my first time using it and I haven't saw any change yet.
Hope to hear from you.
Best regards 
Michael Munn 

JAWS
                            Certified, 2019

Member: Virginia Association of Blind Students National Federation of the Blind of Virginia 

www.nfbv.org

www.hadley.edu

Pramit

Hi Leo,

You can get the Grammarly add-in from their website itself. Adding the link below and steps on how to activate it in your MS Word.
https://www.grammarly.com/office-addin/windows 

To activate Grammarly, open MS Word and navigate to File > Options > Add-ins > Under Manage select COM Add-ins > Check Grammarly > Click OK. 

Hope this helps

Pramit

On Tue, Mar 31, 2020 at 6:21 AM Leo <literophilus@...> wrote:

Hi Michael,

Just for you to know, I'm using office 2019 and would like to have something like this on my machine.

Best,
   Leo
Hope to hear from you.
Best regards 
Michael Munn 

JAWS
                            Certified, 2019

www.nfbv.org

www.hadley.edu

Leo

Hi Pramit,

thank you! I thoroughly followed your instructions and successfully installed the add-in.

Best,
   Leo
On 3/30/2020 7:44 PM, Pramit wrote:

Hi Leo,

You can get the Grammarly add-in from their website itself. Adding the link below and steps on how to activate it in your MS Word.
https://www.grammarly.com/office-addin/windows 

To activate Grammarly, open MS Word and navigate to File > Options > Add-ins > Under Manage select COM Add-ins > Check Grammarly > Click OK. 

Hope this helps

Pramit

On Tue, Mar 31, 2020 at 6:21 AM Leo <literophilus@...> wrote:

Hi Michael,

Best,
   Leo
Hope to hear from you.
Best regards 
Michael Munn 

JAWS
                                    Certified, 2019

www.nfbv.org

www.hadley.edu

David Kingsbury

Hello,
While it is easy to download, I would be very interested to know if it is accessible. Last time I checked, it was completely inaccessible.

David

Justin Williams

I tried it, and it was not accessible.

Justin

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of David Kingsbury
Sent: Tuesday, March 31, 2020 10:44 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: What's your thought on using Grammarly with Jaws

Hello,
While it is easy to download, I would be very interested to know if it is accessible. Last time I checked, it was completely inaccessible.

David

David Diamond

I have office 365 with a built in spell checker which checks my spelling and grammar all the time when sending a message via email or even face book.  Subsequently, David why would you need Grammarly? Oh, I’m using JAWS 2020. With windows 10. I’ve not mastered using the iPhone to check my spelling, no matter what program I was using.    

JM Casey

Grammarly is supposedly much more comprehensive and so forth than what MS Word currently offers. That said, stayed tuned – I just saw a press release from MS about all the new features that are coming, including a powerful grammar checking and editing utility called “Microsoft Editor” that will be  as powerful as Grammarly at least. I think it’s a mistake to use those programmes myself, or maybe it’s just a personal thing for me, but hey, I guess if you feel it’s what you need, go to it. Anyway, the new mS app will be available with new editions of Office 365 and also downloadable as an extension for Edge and Chrome.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of David Diamond
Sent: March 31, 2020 2:30 PM

I have office 365 with a built in spell checker which checks my spelling and grammar all the time when sending a message via email or even face book.  Subsequently, David why would you need Grammarly? Oh, I’m using JAWS 2020. With windows 10. I’ve not mastered using the iPhone to check my spelling, no matter what program I was using.    

David Diamond

My spelling was atrocious. The native app for IOS, I could never master, Win live or all other other programs such as Gmail or Muzzella did not meet my needs.    

Leo

Well, now that I've tried the extension for Microsoft word, I can tell from my own experience that it's

not accessible, well, really to be more accurate, it's accesible to some degree, which isn't much, but the navigation through the grammarly pain is too clumsy. I had to use touch cursor, which seems the only way to get through the pain, but still I found some unlabeled buttons. I requested sighted assistance to see if there was some kind of marker on the words or structures in which grammarly purportedly singled out as mistaken, and apparently, those words were underlined, but jaws 2020 didn't report any.

As for explaining why one might need a grammar checker, in my case it's very simple, I'm not a native English speaker, and even though a good strategy to learn a new language is thoroughly memorizing grammar rules, a language learner will always find linguistic pitfalls that are extremely  difficult to sort out. I said that I could move through the grammarly pain with difficulty, well, the words that the extension underlined were all awkward expressions, not exactly grammar mistakes, this is one of the reasons I really like grammarly, and I wish it were fully accessible. Hopefully, this new Microsoft editor will  vertiginous improve through its self-proclaimed AI the detection of such graceless and unnatural expressions. 

Best,
   Leo
On 3/31/2020 1:51 PM, JM Casey wrote:

Grammarly is supposedly much more comprehensive and so forth than what MS Word currently offers. That said, stayed tuned – I just saw a press release from MS about all the new features that are coming, including a powerful grammar checking and editing utility called “Microsoft Editor” that will be  as powerful as Grammarly at least. I think it’s a mistake to use those programmes myself, or maybe it’s just a personal thing for me, but hey, I guess if you feel it’s what you need, go to it. Anyway, the new mS app will be available with new editions of Office 365 and also downloadable as an extension for Edge and Chrome.

JM Casey

Haha..interesting use of “vertiginous” there..I take it that was purposeful…

You don’t need to explain, I understand why someone *might* want to use such a thing. It’s not for me, but I am stubborn like that.

With the new mS Editor – what I can foresee is that in the beginning it will perhaps not be so accessible, but as screen-reader developers tend to work somewhat more closely with microsoft, it will probably become better over time.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Leo
Sent: March 31, 2020 6:39 PM

Well, now that I've tried the extension for Microsoft word, I can tell from my own experience that it's

not accessible, well, really to be more accurate, it's accesible to some degree, which isn't much, but the navigation through the grammarly pain is too clumsy. I had to use touch cursor, which seems the only way to get through the pain, but still I found some unlabeled buttons. I requested sighted assistance to see if there was some kind of marker on the words or structures in which grammarly purportedly singled out as mistaken, and apparently, those words were underlined, but jaws 2020 didn't report any.

As for explaining why one might need a grammar checker, in my case it's very simple, I'm not a native English speaker, and even though a good strategy to learn a new language is thoroughly memorizing grammar rules, a language learner will always find linguistic pitfalls that are extremely  difficult to sort out. I said that I could move through the grammarly pain with difficulty, well, the words that the extension underlined were all awkward expressions, not exactly grammar mistakes, this is one of the reasons I really like grammarly, and I wish it were fully accessible. Hopefully, this new Microsoft editor will  vertiginous improve through its self-proclaimed AI the detection of such graceless and unnatural expressions. 

Best,
   Leo

Leo

well I hope so..!

Best,
   Leo
On 3/31/2020 4:43 PM, JM Casey wrote:

Haha..interesting use of “vertiginous” there..I take it that was purposeful…

You don’t need to explain, I understand why someone *might* want to use such a thing. It’s not for me, but I am stubborn like that.

With the new mS Editor – what I can foresee is that in the beginning it will perhaps not be so accessible, but as screen-reader developers tend to work somewhat more closely with microsoft, it will probably become better over time.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Leo
Sent: March 31, 2020 6:39 PM

Best,
   Leo

David Diamond

Leo, if it is any consolation for the first 5 years in an English school I was spelling ghost incorrectly, no one ever corrected my spelling till grade 5.  Using a spell checker really exposed my spelling and grammatical mistakes. Oh, English is my native language.  Appalling the scholastic system we have in North America.   

Glenn / Lenny

Kids need to be taught Braille if they are reading text books by audio, and they should probably only get grade one Braille in elementary school, so they can learn to spell.
I know Blind folks who misspelled words because of using the contractions.
Glenn

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, March 31, 2020 6:07 PM

Leo, if it is any consolation for the first 5 years in an English school I was spelling ghost incorrectly, no one ever corrected my spelling till grade 5.  Using a spell checker really exposed my spelling and grammatical mistakes. Oh, English is my native language.  Appalling the scholastic system we have in North America.   

Shirley Tracy

I’m a writer, but a few years ago I used Grammarly to help me edit a book I was writing. I had no trouble using the program back then. Now, several years later, I recommended it to a friend who uses JAWS, and she told me it was not very accessible. I got on the site just to see, and I hardly recognized the program. Not JAWS friendly and not blind friendly at all from what I can tell. Too bad.

Shirley Tracy

Sent: Tuesday, March 31, 2020 6:39 PM

Best,
   Leo

Leo

Well David, let me tell you that even though most kids struggle at some point or another with correct spelling, in this particular aspect of the language, English is far more difficult than some other languages. learning English is the most similar experience to learn two languages at once, even for a kid who has been born in an English-speaking country. The reason is very simple, Spoken English arbitrarily differs from written English by far. There are some general rules everybody can learn to match how English sounds and how it is written; however, there are a huge number of exceptions. It’s so crazy, that even rules drive me insane. For example, the vowel “a,” which is pretty common in the language, can be pronounced in at least 5 different ways as far as I recall, it would be six if I add the way it must be pronounced whenever it is placed before the “r” consonant, which is a control consonant and pushes out a longer and stronger sound. In Spanish, on the other hand, the vowel “a,” is always pronounced in the same way no matter where you find it.

Best,
   Leo
On 3/31/2020 5:07 PM, David Diamond wrote:

Leo

hmm too bad indeed!  I got some years late.

Best,
   Leo
On 3/31/2020 6:10 PM, Shirley Tracy wrote:

I’m a writer, but a few years ago I used Grammarly to help me edit a book I was writing. I had no trouble using the program back then. Now, several years later, I recommended it to a friend who uses JAWS, and she told me it was not very accessible. I got on the site just to see, and I hardly recognized the program. Not JAWS friendly and not blind friendly at all from what I can tell. Too bad.

Shirley Tracy

Sent: Tuesday, March 31, 2020 6:39 PM

Best,
   Leo

Angel

I have been blind for above 65 years, now.  I, and those scholars with whom I was taught, learned grade I Braille in the first grade; and learned grade II Braille beginning in the second grade.  There, of course, the most ambitious ones of us, learned grade III Braille.  Which served better for taking Braille notes with the slate and stylus.  I have found, poor spelling had little or nothing at all to do with whether the Braille code was abridged.  Rather, it had to do with the child’s propensity to spell properly.  As a fluent Braille reader:  For above 60 years, and being totally blind longer than those number of years:  I find I and those with whom I matriculated pictured the word in question, as I assume sighted people do.  When writing the printed word.  I assume you do the same thing.  When you write the embossed word.  The word is pictured as written in grade II Braille.  If one uses this method:  It makes no difference in what form the word is written.  However, either using grade II or III Braille serves its purpose, regardless in which language it is written.  As it minimizes the space taken to write the code, and speeds up the reading process.  Also causing the writing of the code to be much speedier.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Tuesday, March 31, 2020 7:13 PM

Kids need to be taught Braille if they are reading text books by audio, and they should probably only get grade one Braille in elementary school, so they can learn to spell.

I know Blind folks who misspelled words because of using the contractions.

Glenn

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Tuesday, March 31, 2020 6:07 PM

Virus-free. www.avast.com

Angel

I do agree with you concerning the lack of a decent educational system now days in America.  I believe it rests with the low expectations of those instructing todays scholars.  I find children, whether they be blind or sighted, rise to the level of the expectations of those teaching them.   I do have a question for you, however.  How were you able to spell ghost incorrectly.  If you read the Brailled word?  I recall:  My freshman year at the University.  I received audio books from Recording for the blind.  There was a woman who read the entire Canterbury Tales   in middle English.  Pronouncing it as middle English ought to be spoken.  Words, if viewed or touched, which retained their spelling throughout the century’s, such as the word knight, were pronounced quite differently then. Such words, not requiring annotations, if viewed or touched, were most difficult to understand.  Particularly as the entire text was pronounced as it  ought to be.  Given the context in which it first was written.  If children are properly taught:  They shall excel without external assists.  Such is found in programs purchased.    

Sent: Tuesday, March 31, 2020 7:07 PM

Mich Verrier

I am also a English speeker however have always been horrible at spelling since I spell words the way they sound and not the way they should be spelld. From Mich.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Angel
Sent: April 1, 2020 12:30 AM

I do agree with you concerning the lack of a decent educational system now days in America.  I believe it rests with the low expectations of those instructing todays scholars.  I find children, whether they be blind or sighted, rise to the level of the expectations of those teaching them.   I do have a question for you, however.  How were you able to spell ghost incorrectly.  If you read the Brailled word?  I recall:  My freshman year at the University.  I received audio books from Recording for the blind.  There was a woman who read the entire Canterbury Tales   in middle English.  Pronouncing it as middle English ought to be spoken.  Words, if viewed or touched, which retained their spelling throughout the century’s, such as the word knight, were pronounced quite differently then. Such words, not requiring annotations, if viewed or touched, were most difficult to understand.  Particularly as the entire text was pronounced as it  ought to be.  Given the context in which it first was written.  If children are properly taught:  They shall excel without external assists.  Such is found in programs purchased.    

Sent: Tuesday, March 31, 2020 7:07 PM