moderated What program is best when it comes to making a system image?

David Ingram

Hi list members, i want to make a system image, but i’m not sure which program that i should use. Are there any accessible programs that are built in that we could use to make a system image? I want to use this for my c drive. What program is built in that does this with accessibility for the blind built in. Thank you for any information that you might have concerning this question.

Thomas N. Chan <thomas.nchan@...>

I use drivesnapshot. not free but very useable.
I can do remote backup, command line stuff. but if you want the GUI, its also simple and does what it should.
restore, you can either use command or just use the gui.

Regards,
Thomas N. Chan

On Tue, 12 Oct 2021 at 16:42, David Ingram <dingram269@...> wrote:
Hi list members, i want to make a system image, but i’m not sure which program that i should use.  Are there any accessible programs that are built in that we could use to make a system image?  I want to use this for my c drive.  What program is built in that does this with accessibility for the blind built in.  Thank you for any information that you might have concerning this question.

Jim Weiss <jimweiss72@...>

Windows includes the ability to create a system image, it is very accessible to create one. I have never restored from one, therefore I cannot speak of the accessibility on a restore. I’m going to guess that it will require sighted assistance to restore.

On Oct 12, 2021, at 4:42 AM, David Ingram <dingram269@earthlink.net> wrote:

Hi list members, i want to make a system image, but i’m not sure which program that i should use. Are there any accessible programs that are built in that we could use to make a system image? I want to use this for my c drive. What program is built in that does this with accessibility for the blind built in. Thank you for any information that you might have concerning this question.

Chris Hill

I've attempted to restore from a windows image.  As long as you're going back to the same drive, it should be okay.  For regular use, I prefer Terabyte unlimited's Image for Windows. Unlike the built-in software, it stores its image in one or multiple files depending on how you want it done, and you can easily move these around, the builtin program does a lot with hidden files and such, it is a hot mess to manage for multiple backups.  Also, the Terabyte folks have always been there when I needed to do something complex like move an image back to a smaller drive, switch to an ssd or whatever.  The amount of money one could save with something else just isn't worth it.  Here's a link: https://www.terabyteunlimited.com/image-for-windows/

On 10/12/2021 07:02, Jim Weiss via groups.io wrote:
Windows includes the ability to create a system image, it is very accessible to create one. I have never restored from one, therefore I cannot speak of the accessibility on a restore. I’m going to guess that it will require sighted assistance to restore.
On Oct 12, 2021, at 4:42 AM, David Ingram <dingram269@earthlink.net> wrote:

Hi list members, i want to make a system image, but i’m not sure which program that i should use. Are there any accessible programs that are built in that we could use to make a system image? I want to use this for my c drive. What program is built in that does this with accessibility for the blind built in. Thank you for any information that you might have concerning this question.

R&J

I have had very good luck making a full system image backup and restoring my laptop after installing a new solid state drive with the free version of Macrium Reflect.  You have to use the JAWS cursor occasionally for navigation but accessibility is quite good.

Glenn / Lenny

When I make a system image, I boot to a talking WinPE either on CD or USB, and zip it up with 7Zip.
There are two files that don't need to be zipped when doing this, because they are just windows temporary files, and they are typically as big as the amount of RAM your system has.
They are hiberfil.sys and pagefile.sys
They are both in the C: root, and cannot be deleted while your version of windows is running, but if you boot to WinPE you can delete them, and then proceed to make an image of the C: drive.
Then when you reboot, windows will recreate these files.
Glenn

Hi list members, i want to make a system image, but i’m not sure which program that i should use. Are there any accessible programs that are built in that we could use to make a system image? I want to use this for my c drive. What program is built in that does this with accessibility for the blind built in. Thank you for any information that you might have concerning this question.

Glenn / Lenny

Unless windows has changed with windows 10, that requires it be on a network drive, and your ISP modem may not give the ability to plug in a network drive, most personal routers do this with the USB port on them.
Some ISP routers with a USB port use the ports for connectivity to a computer, and not a network port.
Glenn

Windows includes the ability to create a system image, it is very accessible to create one. I have never restored from one, therefore I cannot speak of the accessibility on a restore. I’m going to guess that it will require sighted assistance to restore.
On Oct 12, 2021, at 4:42 AM, David Ingram <dingram269@earthlink.net> wrote:

Hi list members, i want to make a system image, but i’m not sure which program that i should use. Are there any accessible programs that are built in that we could use to make a system image? I want to use this for my c drive. What program is built in that does this with accessibility for the blind built in. Thank you for any information that you might have concerning this question.

Chris Hill

Have you ever tried to restore that?  Frankly, I don't think you are getting it all, that sounds like a nice way to back up all the files on the system, but that isn't the same thing as an image.

CH

----- Original Message ----- From: "David Ingram" <dingram269@earthlink.net>
Hi list members, i want to make a system image, but i’m not sure which program that i should use.  Are there any accessible programs that are built in that we could use to make a system image?  I want to use this for my c drive.  What program is built in that does this with accessibility for the blind built in. Thank you for any information that you might have concerning this question.

Glenn / Lenny

Yes, I'm using a restored image now.