moderated What program is best when it comes to making a system image?

David Ingram

Hi list members, i want to make a system image, but i’m not sure which program that i should use. Are there any accessible programs that are built in that we could use to make a system image? I want to use this for my c drive. What program is built in that does this with accessibility for the blind built in. Thank you for any information that you might have concerning this question.

Thomas N. Chan <thomas.nchan@...>

I use drivesnapshot. not free but very useable.
I can do remote backup, command line stuff. but if you want the GUI, its also simple and does what it should.
restore, you can either use command or just use the gui.

Regards,
Thomas N. Chan

On Tue, 12 Oct 2021 at 16:42, David Ingram <dingram269@...> wrote:
Hi list members, i want to make a system image, but i’m not sure which program that i should use.  Are there any accessible programs that are built in that we could use to make a system image?  I want to use this for my c drive.  What program is built in that does this with accessibility for the blind built in.  Thank you for any information that you might have concerning this question.

Jim Weiss <jimweiss72@...>

Windows includes the ability to create a system image, it is very accessible to create one. I have never restored from one, therefore I cannot speak of the accessibility on a restore. I’m going to guess that it will require sighted assistance to restore.

On Oct 12, 2021, at 4:42 AM, David Ingram <dingram269@earthlink.net> wrote:

Hi list members, i want to make a system image, but i’m not sure which program that i should use. Are there any accessible programs that are built in that we could use to make a system image? I want to use this for my c drive. What program is built in that does this with accessibility for the blind built in. Thank you for any information that you might have concerning this question.

Chris Hill

I've attempted to restore from a windows image.  As long as you're going back to the same drive, it should be okay.  For regular use, I prefer Terabyte unlimited's Image for Windows. Unlike the built-in software, it stores its image in one or multiple files depending on how you want it done, and you can easily move these around, the builtin program does a lot with hidden files and such, it is a hot mess to manage for multiple backups.  Also, the Terabyte folks have always been there when I needed to do something complex like move an image back to a smaller drive, switch to an ssd or whatever.  The amount of money one could save with something else just isn't worth it.  Here's a link: https://www.terabyteunlimited.com/image-for-windows/

On 10/12/2021 07:02, Jim Weiss via groups.io wrote:
Windows includes the ability to create a system image, it is very accessible to create one. I have never restored from one, therefore I cannot speak of the accessibility on a restore. I’m going to guess that it will require sighted assistance to restore.

R&J

I have had very good luck making a full system image backup and restoring my laptop after installing a new solid state drive with the free version of Macrium Reflect.  You have to use the JAWS cursor occasionally for navigation but accessibility is quite good.

Glenn / Lenny

When I make a system image, I boot to a talking WinPE either on CD or USB, and zip it up with 7Zip.
There are two files that don't need to be zipped when doing this, because they are just windows temporary files, and they are typically as big as the amount of RAM your system has.
They are hiberfil.sys and pagefile.sys
They are both in the C: root, and cannot be deleted while your version of windows is running, but if you boot to WinPE you can delete them, and then proceed to make an image of the C: drive.
Then when you reboot, windows will recreate these files.
Glenn

----- Original Message -----
To: <main@jfw.groups.io>
Sent: Tuesday, October 12, 2021 3:42 AM
Subject: What program is best when it comes to making a system image?

Glenn / Lenny

Unless windows has changed with windows 10, that requires it be on a network drive, and your ISP modem may not give the ability to plug in a network drive, most personal routers do this with the USB port on them.
Some ISP routers with a USB port use the ports for connectivity to a computer, and not a network port.
Glenn

From: "Jim Weiss via groups.io" <jimweiss72=icloud.com@groups.io>
Sent: Tuesday, October 12, 2021 7:02 AM
Subject: Re: What program is best when it comes to making a system image?

Chris Hill

Have you ever tried to restore that?  Frankly, I don't think you are getting it all, that sounds like a nice way to back up all the files on the system, but that isn't the same thing as an image.

CH

On 10/12/2021 08:44, Glenn / Lenny wrote:
When I make a system image, I boot to a talking WinPE either on CD or USB, and zip it up with 7Zip.
There are two files that don't need to be zipped when doing this, because they are just windows temporary files, and they are typically as big as the amount of RAM your system has.
They are both in the C: root, and cannot be deleted while your version of windows is running, but if you boot to WinPE you can delete them, and then proceed to make an image of the C: drive.
Glenn
----- Original Message ----- From: "David Ingram" <dingram269@earthlink.net>

Hi list members, i want to make a system image, but i’m not sure which program that i should use.  Are there any accessible programs that are built in that we could use to make a system image?  I want to use this for my c drive.  What program is built in that does this with accessibility for the blind built in. Thank you for any information that you might have concerning this question.

Glenn / Lenny

Yes, I'm using a restored image now.

Sent: Tuesday, October 12, 2021 9:15 AM

Have you ever tried to restore that? Frankly, I don't think you are getting it all, that sounds like a nice way to back up all the files on the system, but that isn't the same thing as an image.

CH

Glenn

Chris Hill

Fascinating.  What os?  I can't imagine win 10 allowing that considering that you can't even access some files without changing permissions.

CH

On 10/12/2021 09:23, Glenn / Lenny wrote:

----- Original Message ----- From: "Chris Hill" <hillco@earthlink.net>

Have you ever tried to restore that? Frankly, I don't think you are getting it all, that sounds like a nice way to back up all the files on the system, but that isn't the same thing as an image.

CH

Glenn

Glenn / Lenny

Well I've never tried it with windows 10, but it works with 7.
I think another good way that would work well, but I haven't tried this for backing up, is to boot to WinPE and go into administrative tools and storage and make a VHD image of the C: drive.
You again would not want to include pagefile.sys and hiberfil.sys in this, as it would just take up a lot of unnecessary space.
BTW, VHD is for virtual hard drive, which is a single file that acts like a partition or separate drive.
That is what hiberfil.sys and pagefile.sys are, VHD files, and that is ultimately how windows makes backup images, if one looks in system volume information, you will find a large VHD file.
You should also be able to use something like Macrium Reflect Restore or possibly partition guru to restore the Windows VHD files.
Glenn

Sent: Tuesday, October 12, 2021 9:28 AM

Fascinating. What os? I can't imagine win 10 allowing that considering that you can't even access some files without changing permissions.

CH

CH

Glenn

Glenn / Lenny

I should add, that even windows 10 cannot protect itself when it is not booted up.
When one boots to WinPE, you are in windows, but not your windows, it is just like pulling out your hard drive and plugging it into another computer, only to make things easier for people, it calls your old C: drive c:, and the windows you are operating in is using X:.

Sent: Tuesday, October 12, 2021 9:35 AM

I think another good way that would work well, but I haven't tried this for
backing up, is to boot to WinPE and go into administrative tools and storage
and make a VHD image of the C: drive.
You again would not want to include pagefile.sys and hiberfil.sys in this,
as it would just take up a lot of unnecessary space.
BTW, VHD is for virtual hard drive, which is a single file that acts like a
partition or separate drive.
That is what hiberfil.sys and pagefile.sys are, VHD files, and that is
ultimately how windows makes backup images, if one looks in system volume
information, you will find a large VHD file.
You should also be able to use something like Macrium Reflect Restore or
possibly partition guru to restore the Windows VHD files.
Glenn

Fascinating. What os? I can't imagine win 10 allowing that considering that you can't even access some files without changing permissions.

CH

CH

Glenn

Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@...>

And it sounds like you are still using Windows 7 so I would say until you fully test this with Windows 10 and 11 now that people are starting to upgrade a safer option is to go with one of the many utilities out there who are made for this.
Even if it did work with Windows 10/11 there are many who may not feel like going through the steps of making this talking WinPE disk or drive and then using 7Zip which again most standard users don't have or need since Windows has a built-in zip utility and to then exclude these 2 other files you mention and so on.
This may be what you prefer because you enjoy tinkering with it, but I think most users want to run a utility which does the job and be done with it. I started out with computers probably around the same time as you or maybe even earlier and remember the days when all sorts of little tricks and modifications made things a little better, but I now sure enjoy an experience where I can basically install Windows out of the box without having to do a lot of stuff other than maybe changing a couple of things in File Explorer options, turning off fast startup or putting my user folder on the desktop etc.

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Chris Hill
Sent: October 12, 2021 7:16 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io

Have you ever tried to restore that?  Frankly, I don't think you are getting it all, that sounds like a nice way to back up all the files on the system, but that isn't the same thing as an image.

CH

When I make a system image, I boot to a talking WinPE either on CD or
USB, and zip it up with 7Zip.
There are two files that don't need to be zipped when doing this,
because they are just windows temporary files, and they are typically
as big as the amount of RAM your system has.
They are hiberfil.sys and pagefile.sys They are both in the C: root,
and cannot be deleted while your version of windows is running, but if
you boot to WinPE you can delete them, and then proceed to make an
image of the C: drive.
Glenn
----- Original Message ----- From: "David Ingram"
<dingram269@earthlink.net>

Hi list members, i want to make a system image, but i’m not sure which
program that i should use.  Are there any accessible programs that are
built in that we could use to make a system image?  I want to use this
for my c drive.  What program is built in that does this with
accessibility for the blind built in. Thank you for any information
that you might have concerning this question.

Glenn / Lenny

Well you cannot zip any version of windows while in that operating system.
I have windows 10 in a virtual install on my windows 7, so I can launch windows 10 from within windows 7.
If I want to backup or restore windows 10, I can copy the virtual file that it was installed into.
In backing up my C drive, or the VmWare folder in my user profile, I can copy all virtual operating systems easily.
Using virtual operating systems are the way computers are going, especially in the corporate world, because absolutely no virus can migrate out of the virtual version into the host operating system.
So really the best and easiest solution for folks, in my opinion, is to install any operating system, 7, 8, or 10, and then install VmWare, and then install windows 10, and/or 7, 8, or even Linux in a virtual session.
Then you can copy the VmWare version, and have a clean copy so if the VmWare version gets corrupt, just delete it and copy back the saved VmWare copy and reopen it good as new.
Glenn

Sent: Tuesday, October 12, 2021 9:50 AM

And it sounds like you are still using Windows 7 so I would say until you fully test this with Windows 10 and 11 now that people are starting to upgrade a safer option is to go with one of the many utilities out there who are made for this.
Even if it did work with Windows 10/11 there are many who may not feel like going through the steps of making this talking WinPE disk or drive and then using 7Zip which again most standard users don't have or need since Windows has a built-in zip utility and to then exclude these 2 other files you mention and so on.
This may be what you prefer because you enjoy tinkering with it, but I think most users want to run a utility which does the job and be done with it. I started out with computers probably around the same time as you or maybe even earlier and remember the days when all sorts of little tricks and modifications made things a little better, but I now sure enjoy an experience where I can basically install Windows out of the box without having to do a lot of stuff other than maybe changing a couple of things in File Explorer options, turning off fast startup or putting my user folder on the desktop etc.

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Chris Hill
Sent: October 12, 2021 7:16 AM

CH

When I make a system image, I boot to a talking WinPE either on CD or
USB, and zip it up with 7Zip.
There are two files that don't need to be zipped when doing this,
because they are just windows temporary files, and they are typically
as big as the amount of RAM your system has.
They are hiberfil.sys and pagefile.sys They are both in the C: root,
and cannot be deleted while your version of windows is running, but if
you boot to WinPE you can delete them, and then proceed to make an
image of the C: drive.
Glenn
----- Original Message ----- From: "David Ingram"
<dingram269@earthlink.net>

Hi list members, i want to make a system image, but i’m not sure which
program that i should use. Are there any accessible programs that are
built in that we could use to make a system image? I want to use this
for my c drive. What program is built in that does this with
accessibility for the blind built in. Thank you for any information
that you might have concerning this question.

Chris Hill

Oh yes it can.  File permissions are found in the file system, and if the owner doesn't have permission to access the file, heaven only knows what would happen.  I ran into this when trying to remove a pin from a win 10 machine, I had to go into the file system and change permissions before I could do what I needed.

Things aren't as simple as they used to be.

There are a lot of ways to make a system image, the question is how much time are you willing to trade to save a little money.

CH

On 10/12/2021 09:41, Glenn / Lenny wrote:
I should add, that even windows 10 cannot protect itself when it is not booted up.
When one boots to WinPE, you are in windows, but not your windows, it is just like pulling out your hard drive and plugging it into another computer, only to make things easier for people, it calls your old C: drive c:, and the windows you are operating in is using X:.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Glenn / Lenny" <glenn@ervin.email>
Sent: Tuesday, October 12, 2021 9:35 AM

I think another good way that would work well, but I haven't tried this for
backing up, is to boot to WinPE and go into administrative tools and storage
and make a VHD image of the C: drive.
You again would not want to include pagefile.sys and hiberfil.sys in this,
as it would just take up a lot of unnecessary space.
BTW, VHD is for virtual hard drive, which is a single file that acts like a
partition or separate drive.
That is what hiberfil.sys and pagefile.sys are, VHD files, and that is
ultimately how windows makes backup images, if one looks in system volume
information, you will find a large VHD file.
You should also be able to use something like Macrium Reflect Restore or
possibly partition guru to restore the Windows VHD files.
Glenn

CH

CH

Glenn

Justin Williams

I have a solid state harddrive.

Tried just to back up my system with windows 10, and couldn't seem to get it done.

Is that the same as a system image?

Justin

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of R&J
Sent: Tuesday, October 12, 2021 8:42 AM

I have had very good luck making a full system image backup and restoring my laptop after installing a new solid state drive with the free version of Macrium Reflect.  You have to use the JAWS cursor occasionally for navigation but accessibility is quite good.

I absolutely hate, "What is the best . . .," questions about anything because best is really very subjective.

Macrium Reflect is a very good tool, its free version is more than adequate for any home user (and many small business users, thought they cannot use it under the license terms), and I wrote a tutorial about using it with a screen reader:  Using Macrium Reflect Free with a Screen Reader

There are very precious few backup and recovery options that are accessible on the recovery side, and those I know about are paid.  I don't even worry about the recovery side as very few people DIY the recovery.  But because the recovery virtually always is in an environment that is not Windows, there's no screen reader support for it, much like there is not for UEFI/BIOS.

But having a backup for anyone to recover from, including yourself with sighted assistance if the need arises, is vastly preferable to losing everything or having to pay hundreds of dollars, minimum, to send a failed HDD out to a data recovery facility.  And at this time recovery fees for SSDs is at least double to triple what it costs to recover a HDD.
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H1, Build 19043  

It is the function of creative men to perceive the relations between thoughts, or things, or forms of expression that may seem utterly different, and to be able to combine them into some new forms--the power to connect the seemingly unconnected.

~ William Plomer

Chris Hill

No, the system image is different.  The backup utility is best if you might need to restore something like data files, the image is to restore the whole system since individual files aren't easy to access.  I don't think the backup has been touched since windows 7, and they were trying to kill the image feature a few years ago in 10.  Best to get a program from someone else to handle these functions, the Microsoft backup is just sad and the image is useful, unless you wish to make several and then put them on one backup drive.

CH

On 10/13/2021 08:36, Justin Williams wrote:

I have a solid state harddrive.

Tried just to back up my system with windows 10, and couldn't seem to get it done.

Is that the same as a system image?

Justin

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of R&J
Sent: Tuesday, October 12, 2021 8:42 AM

On Wed, Oct 13, 2021 at 04:57 PM, Chris Hill wrote:
Best to get a program from someone else to handle these functions, the Microsoft backup is just sad and the image is useful, unless you wish to make several and then put them on one backup drive.
-
Microsoft recommended, years ago now, that users NOT use the old built-in utility to take system images, and maintained it only in an "as is" state.  The following announcement, made back when Windows 10, Version 1709 appeared, makes this clear.  You use the old Backup & Restore at your own risk, as deprecated features can be pulled pretty much without further warning (though you will often get it, but not always).

Microsoft Announcement of Deprecated Features, including System Image Backup (SIB) [Backup and Restore (Windows 7)], as of V1709

--

It is the function of creative men to perceive the relations between thoughts, or things, or forms of expression that may seem utterly different, and to be able to combine them into some new forms--the power to connect the seemingly unconnected.

~ William Plomer

Steve Nutt

Hi Brian,

I also make sure that all my personal files are never on Drive C:. I never back up Windows installations or apps, because resetting Windows is very accessible nowadays, with Narrrator.

I’d sooner restore Windows, then reinstall my apps.

Just personal, but I have never had to restore a system image.

All the best

Steve

--

To subscribe to our News and Special Offers list, go to https://www.comproom.co.uk/subscribe

Computer Room Services

77 Exeter Close

Stevenage

Hertfordshire

SG1 4PW

T: +44(0)1438-742286

M: +44(0)7956-334938

F: +44(0)1438-759589

E: steve@...

W: https://www.comproom.co.uk

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: 13 October 2021 16:44

I absolutely hate, "What is the best . . .," questions about anything because best is really very subjective.

Macrium Reflect is a very good tool, its free version is more than adequate for any home user (and many small business users, thought they cannot use it under the license terms), and I wrote a tutorial about using it with a screen reader:  Using Macrium Reflect Free with a Screen Reader

There are very precious few backup and recovery options that are accessible on the recovery side, and those I know about are paid.  I don't even worry about the recovery side as very few people DIY the recovery.  But because the recovery virtually always is in an environment that is not Windows, there's no screen reader support for it, much like there is not for UEFI/BIOS.

But having a backup for anyone to recover from, including yourself with sighted assistance if the need arises, is vastly preferable to losing everything or having to pay hundreds of dollars, minimum, to send a failed HDD out to a data recovery facility.  And at this time recovery fees for SSDs is at least double to triple what it costs to recover a HDD.
--

~ William Plomer