Topics

What is hCaptcha?

kevin meyers

Hello,

I’m using the most recent version of windows10 and Jaws2020.

I went to the site checkpeople.com. At times  after I enter my user id and password I’m taken to what is called hCaptcha. There is an imiage on this page I need to see what it is. Is this something Google Chrome is now using?

Support at checkpeople.com didn’t seem to know about

hCaptcha.

Thanks,

Kevin

James English

Hi,

It's something cloudflare uses, and is horrible. You need to download
something they call an 'accessibility cookie,' it's the most clunky
workaround possible but they don't have an audio challenge.

On 7/31/20, kevin meyers <kman2020@...> wrote:

Hello,

I'm using the most recent version of windows10 and Jaws2020.

I went to the site checkpeople.com. At times after I enter my user id and
password I'm taken to what is called hCaptcha. There is an imiage on this
page I need to see what it is. Is this something Google Chrome is now
using?

Support at checkpeople.com didn't seem to know about

hCaptcha.

Thanks,

Kevin

kevin meyers

What is cloudflare? I never used it. Is there something I did to cause this to happen? Does anyone run into the same problem?

Thanks,

Kevin

It's something cloudflare uses, and is horrible. You need to download something they call an 'accessibility cookie,' it's the most clunky workaround possible but they don't have an audio challenge.

On 7/31/20, kevin meyers <kman2020@...> wrote:

Hello,

I'm using the most recent version of windows10 and Jaws2020.

I went to the site checkpeople.com. At times after I enter my user id
and password I'm taken to what is called hCaptcha. There is an imiage
on this page I need to see what it is. Is this something Google Chrome
is now using?

Support at checkpeople.com didn't seem to know about

hCaptcha.

Thanks,

Kevin

Cloudflare is a web hosting service, and a big one.

They are not the only entity using hCaptcha, as I have run into it elsewhere.  The next time I hit one I'll have to pay careful attention with regard to what the accessibility option(s) are related to it.

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

Mario

to expand a bit, taken from:

https://www.cloudwards.net/what-is-cloudflare/

Cloudflare was created in 2009 by former members of
Project Honey Pot, a web-based, open source architecture that allows websites to collect information from IP addresses harvesting email addresses. Project Honey Pot was intended as a way to fight spam email and fraud.

In 2010, Project Honey Pot gave way to Cloudflare, and it was officially announced at the TechCrunch Disrupt conference that year. Cloudflare was born out of the desire to not only track the malicious behavior of
cybercrime — as is the case with the Project Honey Pot network — but to stop or prevent it altogether.
Its vision was to secure websites against threats, but to do so without adding undo latency. As such, it began experimenting with ways to lower latency in its system by adding advanced caching processes and removing bad traffic, such as bots, from customers’ websites. You can learn more about the dangers of bots in our
what is a botnet guide.

That gave way to Cloudflare’s vision of building a better internet. It started to offer CDN services, its proprietary Railgun network optimizer and more products aimed at security, reducing page loading times and enhancing user experience.

Cloudflare is a web hosting service, and a big one.

They are not the only entity using hCaptcha, as I have run into it
elsewhere.  The next time I hit one I'll have to pay careful attention
with regard to what the accessibility option(s) are related to it.

/The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it./
       ~ Lawrence Krauss

Brent Harding

Yes, I had to do that the other night to look at a site I was interested in. Even after you download the cookie, in Chrome, you have to at least whitelist their site because the security settings won't otherwise allow it to work. I do get their point that audio captchas still leave people out that can't hear or see, but having to save an email message around to get one of these whenever you encounter it is madness anyways.