moderated What I do to make a system image using built-in program

Morey Worthington

What I do to create a system Image using W10, newest, and Jaws 2021.
1. I have an external hard drive, 2TB , plugged in and running.
2. I have everything closed and go to the desktop, press the search key and type in back up and restore and click on it, and when that opens there is a link to make backup and click on that.
3. One of the first things seen, or said, is something about using W7 to create files. Do not worry about the W7 thing because it is what Windows calls their back up   system.
 When the back up window opens it will ask you on which hard drive you would like to have it installed  to. in there were 3 choices im my case ,C Drive,CD, and My external E Drive.
I chose the E Drive.
There should be a next button..click on it.
5. After the next window opens tab to the Create Syystem Image and click on it.
 6.In the next window it will ask in which format you would like to save the format. The first one was highlighted and I just left it there.
Then there is   a next button..click on it.
7. Depending on how much , or how big the image will be, it will take at least an hour or more to finish. When I made the first one it took 2 and a half hours because I had many programs and so on. You can check the progress if you have percentage  thing turned on or just go to the Jaws window and it will tell you. It might feel stuck after about 95 percent or so, but dont worry about it, it is still doing its job. There is always a cancel button if you dont like it.
When it is finished in that window,, it  will tell you to click on the finish button, and it is done.
When this is all finished, go to the external drive and check to see what folders show up. One might be a data file and the other should say something like system. You can open it and in there you will find a folder with the date of The image you made.
This is where Windows will come to retreive the image when you do a system restore. Remember if you have to do a system restore, to have this external hard drive plugged in and turned on.
HTH.
I am not sharp at making these kind of files, but I hope it works.

--
Morey Worthington

Justin Williams

I used to be able to do that, but it was as if the dialogue box you just described was not there.
Justin

[...]

Alan Robbins

Morey,

Thanks, can you restore without sighted assistance?

Alan

[...]

Yes...

first type in search...restore system and it will take you to the first window again and it will ask where you want to restore from and you are on your way, but remember to have that external drive hooked up and open.

HTH

--
Morey Worthington

Randy Barnett

So in a total failure of windows you have to reinstall windows first then restore?

On 4/14/2021 5:50 PM, Morey Worthington wrote:
Yes...

first type in search...restore system and it will take you to the first window again and it will ask where you want to restore from and you are on your way, but remember to have that external drive hooked up and open.

HTH

Dave Durber

Randy:

The purpose for creating an image of your system drive, is that you bacup everything which is stored on that drive, including the operating system, any and all programs which you have installed, and any personal data, you have stored on the drive. In addition, when you use an image backup program, the partition and format information is also saved, so that, when you need to restore an image. once it has been restored successfully, you restart your computer, and your system boots into Windows in the condition it was, when you created the image backup.

If you create a system image backup, including Incremental backups, when you restore the system backup plus, any incremental backups, then the system will be restore to the condition, when the last incremental backup was made, when you restart the system.

Dave

So in a total failure of windows you have to reinstall windows first then restore?

On 4/14/2021 5:50 PM, Morey Worthington wrote:
Yes...

first type in search...restore system and it will take you to the first window again and it will ask where you want to restore from and you are on your way, but remember to have that external drive hooked up and open.

HTH

Alan Robbins

Dave,

Excellent post. What I've always found is creating images is pretty blind friendly. The problem comes when restoring the image. Have you tried restoring as per below and is it possible without sighted assistance?

Thanks,
Alan

[...]

Alan:

See the reply, I have just posted to James.

I have use the I F W restore utility with both Talking Windows Preinstall Environments. In both cases the utility is very easy to use by anyone who is visually impaired.

[...]

Thanks, I would be interested to read as I use IFW as well but in a different way than you suggest. For some reason, I did not see that post. Could you forward to me?

Thanks,
Alan

See the reply, I have just posted to James.

I have use the I F W restore utility with both Talking Windows Preinstall Environments. In both cases the utility is very easy to use by anyone who is visually impaired.

Dave

So in a total failure of windows you have to reinstall windows first then
restore?

On 4/14/2021 5:50 PM, Morey Worthington wrote:
Yes...

first type in search...restore system and it will take you to the first
window again and it will ask where you want to restore from and you are
on your way, but remember to have that external drive hooked up and open.

HTH

Dave Durber

Alan:

Unfortunately, I did not keep any copies of my replies on this subject. I am sorry about that.

All my replies on this subject should be coming to you, if they are not, then you may need to check if some messages are being blocked, either by your email client or by your email service provider.

[...]

Glenn / Lenny

Dave,
Maybe you can find them in your sent items folder.
Glenn

So in a total failure of windows you have to reinstall windows first then
restore?

On 4/14/2021 5:50 PM, Morey Worthington wrote:
Yes...

first type in search...restore system and it will take you to the first
window again and it will ask where you want to restore from and you are
on your way, but remember to have that external drive hooked up and open.

HTH

Dave Durber

Glen:

As we say in the UK, I am a complete wally, meaning that I am an idiot for not remembering that a copy of all the messages I have sent, is saved in the Sent subfolder of my email client. Ah! well! my brain, like the rest of my body, after nearly 71 years, is fast approaching its sale by date.