Topics

moderated What happened to my desktop?

Shirley Tracy

My computer started acting goofy this evening, and I was in a hurry to compose an important letter so may have rushed things along too quickly. Suddenly, my desktop disappeared. I can’t find it. Any ideas? It’s not in the recycle bin. (LOL).

Any help would be appreciated.

Shirley Tracy

Mike B

Did you try rebooting?

Did you try pressing, Windows key + D, or M, to take you to the desktop?

Did you press, Insert + T, to read the title of the screen you're on?

Was your computer doing some sort of update and wanting to reboot?

Did you get your letter composed and saved?

What relation does composing a letter and not having a desktop have to do with each other?  What I mean is, as above, did you finish the letter, save it, then you couldn't find your desktop?

I'm not trying to be an A'Hole, but you're leaving out a lot of things that could of, might of or maybe did!

Take care.  Mike.  Sent from my iBarstool.
Learn a lesson from your dog.  No matter what life brings you, kick some grass over that crap and move on!

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, July 20, 2020 9:02 PM
Subject: What happened to my desktop?

My computer started acting goofy this evening, and I was in a hurry to compose an important letter so may have rushed things along too quickly. Suddenly, my desktop disappeared. I can’t find it. Any ideas? It’s not in the recycle bin. (LOL).

Shirley Tracy

Bill White

Hi, Shirley. Please let us know if you got your desktop problem resolved, and if so, what did you have to do to solve it?

Thank you.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Shirley Tracy
Sent: Monday, July 20, 2020 9:03 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io

Shirley Tracy

Shirley Tracy

Hi Mike,

Yes, I tried rebooting. I also pressed windows key plus D and also the alt M and even Control M. Nothing happens. I ask Curtana for mail is the way I find it now. I no longer have the normal list. I hope I didn’t get a virus or something.

No, I didn’t finish the letter before the Desktop vanished, but I asked Curtana for mail and finished (rewrote) the important email letter. What the letter had to do with everything is that I was rushing to get it sent out before today—long story. In my hurry, I may have pressed the wrong keys somewhere—or been keying too fast--that darn letter took up a lot of my time and brain power. By the time I sent out my plea for help last night, I was exhausted. (smile).

My next plan is to call Microsoft Disability number. Thought I’d pick your brains on the list first.

Shirley Tracy

Sent: Tuesday, July 21, 2020 12:18 AM
Subject: Re: What happened to my desktop?

Did you try rebooting?

What relation does composing a letter and not having a desktop have to do with each other?  What I mean is, as above, did you finish the letter, save it, then you couldn't find your desktop?

I'm not trying to be an A'Hole, but you're leaving out a lot of things that could of, might of or maybe did!

Learn a lesson from your dog.  No matter what life brings you, kick some grass over that crap and move on!

Shirley Tracy

Shirley Tracy

Oops. Sorry, Bill. I don’t like to make excuses, but I’ve only had four hours of sleep and I decided to change your name. 😊

Shirley Tracy

Sent: Tuesday, July 21, 2020 5:48 AM

Hi Mike,

Yes, I tried rebooting. I also pressed windows key plus D and also the alt M and even Control M. Nothing happens. I ask Curtana for mail is the way I find it now. I no longer have the normal list. I hope I didn’t get a virus or something.

No, I didn’t finish the letter before the Desktop vanished, but I asked Curtana for mail and finished (rewrote) the important email letter. What the letter had to do with everything is that I was rushing to get it sent out before today—long story. In my hurry, I may have pressed the wrong keys somewhere—or been keying too fast--that darn letter took up a lot of my time and brain power. By the time I sent out my plea for help last night, I was exhausted. (smile).

My next plan is to call Microsoft Disability number. Thought I’d pick your brains on the list first.

Shirley Tracy

Did you try rebooting?

Shirley Tracy

Chris

Maybe you’ve hidden desktop icons

Under the desktop context menu, under view submenu check show desktop icons

Sent: 21 July 2020 10:48

Hi Mike,

Shirley Tracy

Did you try rebooting?

Shirley Tracy

Andrew Summers

Have you tried Show desktop icons?

If you press windows key with m and then press shift with f10 keys, you will have a menu.

Andrew

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Shirley Tracy
Sent: 21 July 2020 10:57

Oops. Sorry, Bill. I don’t like to make excuses, but I’ve only had four hours of sleep and I decided to change your name. 😊

Shirley Tracy

Sent: Tuesday, July 21, 2020 5:48 AM

Hi Mike,

Shirley Tracy

Did you try rebooting?

Shirley Tracy

Mike B

Hi Shirley,

Maybe try using your touch cursor or tabbing to see if you can find something that says what screen your on.

Sent: Tuesday, July 21, 2020 2:48 AM

Hi Mike,

Shirley Tracy

Did you try rebooting?

Shirley Tracy

Van Lant, Robin

Shirley,

When you hit Insert T while you think you should be on the desktop, Do you hear JAWS say Desktop 1? With some frequency, I hit something that switches me to Desktop 2 where my icons are different.  I use Control Windows key and left arrow to get back to the main Desktop.

Sent: Monday, July 20, 2020 10:03 PM

Shirley Tracy

This communication may contain privileged and/or confidential information. It is intended solely for the use of the addressee. If you are not the intended recipient, you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing or using any of this information. If you received this communication in error, please contact the sender immediately and destroy the material in its entirety, whether electronic or hard copy. This communication may contain nonpublic personal information about consumers subject to the restrictions of the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act. You may not directly or indirectly reuse or redisclose such information for any purpose other than to provide the services for which you are receiving the information.

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114

If you prefer not to receive future e-mail offers for products or services from Key, send an email to mailto:DNERequests@... with 'No Promotional E-mails' in the SUBJECT line.

Did you somehow turn on Tablet Mode?

Press Windows Key + A and tab until you hear Tablet Mode, if it is checked press the spacebar to uncheck it.

Sent: Tuesday, July 21, 2020 2:49 AM

Hi Mike,

Shirley Tracy

Did you try rebooting?

Shirley Tracy

Jaffar Sidek

Hi all.  You know, the past 2 weeks have stimulated my emagination, at least where Microsoft Windows is concerned.  The email subjects like "Windows is gone", and the latest one, "Where is my desktop?", well, they have sort a Sci-Fi, Mystery detective, Mystical effect.  A nice divergance from the convention and norm, don't you think?  Do they not stimulate you to tune in to the next installment to see what happens next, or moan and groan when you miss it?  At least it is a release from the usual.  Cheers Microsoft Windows that provides bugs and program flaws that cause misery and fun in equal measure, and cheers to the emailers who provide such unusual and original, imaginative  email subjects.

On 21/7/2020 9:35 pm, Mike B wrote:

Hi Shirley,

Maybe try using your touch cursor or tabbing to see if you can find something that says what screen your on.

Sent: Tuesday, July 21, 2020 2:48 AM

Hi Mike,

Shirley Tracy

Did you try rebooting?

Shirley Tracy

Shirley Tracy

Sieghard ,

Thank you! Thank you! I must have done that, but I sure don’t know how. Wow!

This list is great when guys like you are willing to respond. I thank everyone who replied…and I truly thank you for coming up with the idea.

A very happy Shirley

Shirley Tracy

Sent: Tuesday, July 21, 2020 2:32 PM

Press Windows Key + A and tab until you hear Tablet Mode, if it is checked press the spacebar to uncheck it.

Hi Mike,

Shirley Tracy

Did you try rebooting?

Shirley Tracy

Bill White

Hi, Shirley. There are two settings that you can change to make sure that, in the future, even if Tablet Mode does get turned on, your desktop and task bar won't be hidden.

1. Open Settings with Windows key plus I.

2. TAB to the list of Settings categories, and press ENTER on System.

3. Arrow down to Tablet Mode, and press ENTER.

4. Under Tablet Mode, make sure, Hide app icons on the taskbar in tablet mode Button is Off

5. Also under Tablet Mode, make sure, Automatically hide the taskbar in tablet mode Button is Off.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Sent: Tuesday, July 21, 2020 12:28 PM

Sieghard ,

This list is great when guys like you are willing to respond. I thank everyone who replied…and I truly thank you for coming up with the idea.

A very happy Shirley

Shirley Tracy

Hi Mike,

Shirley Tracy

Did you try rebooting?

Shirley Tracy

Shirley Tracy

Thanks Bill.

Shirley Tracy

Sent: Tuesday, July 21, 2020 10:26 PM

Hi, Shirley. There are two settings that you can change to make sure that, in the future, even if Tablet Mode does get turned on, your desktop and task bar won't be hidden.

1. Open Settings with Windows key plus I.

2. TAB to the list of Settings categories, and press ENTER on System.

3. Arrow down to Tablet Mode, and press ENTER.

4. Under Tablet Mode, make sure, Hide app icons on the taskbar in tablet mode Button is Off

5. Also under Tablet Mode, make sure, Automatically hide the taskbar in tablet mode Button is Off.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Sent: Tuesday, July 21, 2020 12:28 PM

Sieghard ,

A very happy Shirley

Shirley Tracy

Hi Mike,

Shirley Tracy

Did you try rebooting?

Shirley Tracy