moderated Webex

Jim Portillo

Greetings everyone,

I will be playing with this tonight, but was wondering if anyone has been successful at using Webex with JAWS. Some of the parts seem accessible, from what I have begun noticing, while others (like scheduling meetings) not so much.

I’m looking for JAWS commands. What I wasn’t sure about was whether this was more of a computer or a phone app. I would imagine it can be used on both devices.

I literally just downloaded it a few minutes ago, as I will need to use it for some things in a few days and want to become familiar with it.

If you have any suggestions or thoughts on the app, I’d be interested in communicating.

Thank you.

Jim

Curtis Chong

Hello Jim:

I use Tab a lot in Webex. You should google Webex shortcut keys. But if I am a participant in the meeting, tabbing is usually the only thing I can do reliably.

Cordially,

Curtis Chong

I will be playing with this tonight, but was wondering if anyone has been successful at using Webex with JAWS. Some of the parts seem accessible, from what I have begun noticing, while others (like scheduling meetings) not so much.

I’m looking for JAWS commands. What I wasn’t sure about was whether this was more of a computer or a phone app. I would imagine it can be used on both devices.

I literally just downloaded it a few minutes ago, as I will need to use it for some things in a few days and want to become familiar with it.

If you have any suggestions or thoughts on the app, I’d be interested in communicating.

Thank you.

Jim

Barbara Sheinbein

Hi,

It can be used on a computer, but I have struggled with it for the time or two I have tried.  I ended up having my sister fix things via TeamViewer.  Then we had to close TeamViewer since it apparently was a cause of another issue.

Barbara

I will be playing with this tonight, but was wondering if anyone has been successful at using Webex with JAWS. Some of the parts seem accessible, from what I have begun noticing, while others (like scheduling meetings) not so much.

I’m looking for JAWS commands. What I wasn’t sure about was whether this was more of a computer or a phone app. I would imagine it can be used on both devices.

I literally just downloaded it a few minutes ago, as I will need to use it for some things in a few days and want to become familiar with it.

If you have any suggestions or thoughts on the app, I’d be interested in communicating.

Thank you.

Jim

Mark Fisher

Hi

We use WebEx as I main tool. I use it both on the iPhone and on a computer. I have spoken to the Cisco Accessibility team based in India because their are some features which have gone backwards in some of the later versions for JAWS users. They are aware and have indicated they are trying to improve them. The hot keys mentioned above are mainly useful although reading through a message list can be challenging given you can only use arrows to move up and down the list of messages.

Hoping that future versions have some improvements - suggest you also reach out to the accessibility team as the more feedback they get, the better - accessibility@... ..
--
Mark Fisher
Manager - People Systems

Van Lant, Robin

We have used Webex here at work for a number of years.  I have had the webex add-in for Outlook, which puts a button on the ribbon to allow me to set up meetings with the click of a button.  The meeting preferences window is not very accessible, but it generally only takes the click of the button to add the meeting details to my calendar invite.   I also prefer to use the desktop app for Webex in some cases. I find the website more cumbersome, though I’ve had to use it for accessing meeting recordings.   You can also have set a delegate, who can then set up meetings on your behalf.

As a meeting host, tabbing is the best way to move around and I think you can use F6 to move around some panes.  I don’t find it particularly responsive, meaning that I feel like there is a bit of delay and sometimes focus jumps to where I didn’t expect, but it’s doable.  When in the app and hosting a meeting, thee has been a traditional menu bar across the top where I go for starting a recording, ending the meeting, and looking at other options. You can set up a test meeting to give yourself time to explore the screen.  The big issue I had not too long ago was that, when I tried to share my screen in a meeting,  Webex removed the traditional menus and moved to one of those bars that only shows up when you hover. Nothing I could do with JAWS found them.  In that particular case, I shared my screen, then tried to start a recording, but the record button was only accessible through that little set of hovering buttons that JAWS could not find.  Also, my meeting attendees told me there was some gray box covering the slide I was trying to show and I couldn’t figure out how to get to it and remove it. I presume it was some sort of dialog box for me as the host.  It was rather embarrassing and I’m really glad it was only an agenda slide I had to show.

Whether attending or hosting, I have not found accessing the participant pane or chat easy.  JAWS will read out new chat messages, but one can get chopped off if a new message comes in while JAWS is reading the first.

I do like attending from the app on my iPhone, as long as I have an earbud so I don’t have to wonder if  they can hear VoiceOver.  Only other issue with using the app is that, if I want to submit a chat, I cannot use dictation.  Most of my meetings are not chat-dependent, so this is really only a problem if attending a webinar where the only way to ask a question is to chat it.  Having a Bluetooth keyboard attached would be a good solution for this.

Robin

I will be playing with this tonight, but was wondering if anyone has been successful at using Webex with JAWS. Some of the parts seem accessible, from what I have begun noticing, while others (like scheduling meetings) not so much.

I’m looking for JAWS commands. What I wasn’t sure about was whether this was more of a computer or a phone app. I would imagine it can be used on both devices.

I literally just downloaded it a few minutes ago, as I will need to use it for some things in a few days and want to become familiar with it.

If you have any suggestions or thoughts on the app, I’d be interested in communicating.

Thank you.

Jim

KeyCorp Public

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114

Ron Kolesar

Hey Barb, can you tell me what is webex?

Many thanks.

Ron

[...]

It is a similar program to zoom or facetime.

Barbara

[...]

Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@...>

It is in a way, but very much geared towards large Enterprise.

Ron, for things like that may I suggest a quick Google search for exactly what you asked, in this case I did a search for "What is Webex" and here is the first Google result easily found by using the heading level 2 quick nav key:

Webex by Cisco is the leading enterprise solution for video conferencing, online meetings, screen share, and webinars. Web conferencing, cloud calling...

Of course this is a link so you can click on it to read more, but this basically summarizes what it is and does. And please don't get me wrong, I am not saying you shouldn't ask, but for simple queries like this asking Google gives you an instant answer and often a better one and if it is something you end up wanting to know more about then all you have to do is click and read.

And just as another tip, if you have a Google Home speaker or a smartphone with the Google Assistant you could even ask verbally. Often the answer then is pulled from Wikipedia and if you don't have such a device, instead of doing a Google search for "What is Webex" search for "What is Webex on Wikipedia". In this case here is the answer you would have received as the so-called "Featured snippet from the web which often is the first result above the main results:

Featured snippet from the web

Webex by Cisco is an American company that develops and sells web conferencing and videoconferencing applications. It was founded as WebEx in 1995 and taken over by Cisco Systems in 2007. Its headquarters are in Milpitas, California.

All Webex products are part of the Cisco Systems collaboration portfolio.

Products: Webex App, Webex Suite, Webex M...

Predecessor: Cisco Webex

It is so super easy to find information about factual things like a particular product, company or in particular about geographical facts like the size or population of a certain country, a certain historical event and so on.