Topics

moderated Web site hosting services

Richard Turner

Hello,

I have a client who needs to set up a web site with a store on it for his business.

He uses Jaws latest version and Windows 10.

I use a pretty easy service, IXWebHosting but have never looked at setting up a store.

What hosting services are people using that work well with Jaws?

Thanks,

Richard

Rayn Darren

Hi Richard,

I offer hosting as part of packages available to clients. I would be more than happy to work with your client to get a website set up for him.

Thanks,
Sarah

On Aug 18, 2020, at 12:35 PM, Richard Turner <richardturner42@...> wrote:

Hello,

I have a client who needs to set up a web site with a store on it for his business.

He uses Jaws latest version and Windows 10.

I use a pretty easy service, IXWebHosting but have never looked at setting up a store.

What hosting services are people using that work well with Jaws?

Thanks,

Richard

Richard Turner

Thank you for the offer.
Do you have a web site that explains your services and pricing?
This is through a State agency and I am just looking for resources to pass along.
Do you have a business?
Thanks,

Richard

On Aug 19, 2020, at 12:53 AM, Rayn Darren <rayndarren@...> wrote:

 Hi Richard,

I offer hosting as part of packages available to clients. I would be more than happy to work with your client to get a website set up for him.

Thanks,
Sarah

On Aug 18, 2020, at 12:35 PM, Richard Turner <richardturner42@...> wrote:

Hello,

I have a client who needs to set up a web site with a store on it for his business.

He uses Jaws latest version and Windows 10.

I use a pretty easy service, IXWebHosting but have never looked at setting up a store.

What hosting services are people using that work well with Jaws?

Thanks,

Richard

David Diamond

This is in no way a slam against anyone or their services.  This is just something I noted when someone offered to help me build a website.  His spelling and grammar was so atrocious when writing me I mused if his spelling and grammar was so bad when a spell checker is readily available, was his work ethic the same poor quality? Admittedly this was after months of working with someone at an agency, then she pulled the shoot on me with no progress. She said before she left she’d help me finish it.  IMO she got fired from the job she had at that agency, just would not admit it.   Yes, I did eventually get it built in weeks, not months.

I offer hosting as part of packages available to clients. I would be more than happy to work with your client to get a website set up for him.

Thanks,

Sarah

On Aug 18, 2020, at 12:35 PM, Richard Turner <richardturner42@...> wrote:

Hello,

I have a client who needs to set up a web site with a store on it for his business.

He uses Jaws latest version and Windows 10.

I use a pretty easy service, IXWebHosting but have never looked at setting up a store.

What hosting services are people using that work well with Jaws?

Thanks,

Richard

Richard Turner

Thanks for that.

The State Rehab department probably won’t deal with an individual so offers like the below likely won’t go anywhere since they offered no information about the services etc., anyway.

My question still stands, I already know Godaddy is absolutely awful for accessibility, so looking for another hosting plan, though the one I use is quite good, I would like to offer them some choices.

.

Richard

[...]

Richard B. McDonald

I use and like Bluehost.

I have a client who needs to set up a web site with a store on it for his business.

He uses Jaws latest version and Windows 10.

I use a pretty easy service, IXWebHosting but have never looked at setting up a store.

What hosting services are people using that work well with Jaws?

Thanks,

Richard

Rayn Darren

Hi Richard,

You’re most welcome. My website is currently still under construction as I’ve been 100% focused on clients. I do have a body of work that you’re welcome to look at however. I am not registered as a business, yet, but plan to be within the next few months, hopefully by the end of the year.

For work I’ve done please check out:

www.calicats.net

www.readtheworld.net

www.dragonsofmyth.com

My prices are very reasonable and flexible. I’ve never worked with a state agency  as DOR of California is not currently contracting, but I look forward to the opportunity.

Hope this is helpful to you and your client, if you have more questions, or would like more info on anything, please do reach out.

Thanks,

Sarah

[...]

Thanks Richard,
Do you have a trick for getting past their Best Web Hosting and just sits there repeating that it is the best? I've tried with Safari, Microsoft Edge, FireFox, and IE.
I went to www.bluehost.com

Richard

On Aug 19, 2020, at 9:07 AM, Richard B. McDonald <richardbmcdonald@...> wrote:

I use and like Bluehost.

I have a client who needs to set up a web site with a store on it for his business.

He uses Jaws latest version and Windows 10.

I use a pretty easy service, IXWebHosting but have never looked at setting up a store.

What hosting services are people using that work well with Jaws?

Thanks,

Richard

David Diamond

Sarah, When starting my Dog rehabilitation centre years ago.  The first thing I was told was to register my business name.  Why?  Because if you have no registered name, lawyers will just do a search and if your name comes up, whether it is you or not, they can file a suit against you. Then you have to prove it was not you that ripped off a client.  It is just a way to cover your rear end from people. I know operating a business with no license is in vogue these days, however, depending on the person wanting to hire someone, having a business name registered adds more credibility to the person operating the business.  No name and anyone can claim to be representing or even being you, treat the client unfairly and you could be on the hoof for legal costs.

[...]

Very wise advice.

My office is going with an established company.

Thanks for all the input.

Richard

[...]

During a wind storm and rain, our roof leaked.  Someone offered to fixed our roof but, the insurer would not except their quote because they did not have a registered business name.  Which means any fly by night agency or person can offer services but, they need to be registered with the government as a legitimate business.  Hope Richard and al can see the tie in here. Yes, GoDaddy’s accessibility has a lot to be desired, especially their feedback form.

[...]

Adrian Spratt

I’d suggest this is confusing the issue. In many jurisdictions, home improvement contractors need to be licensed by a city or state agency. Registration of a business name may also be required. However, not all consultants in every field are subject to these rules.

[...]

David,

Your general proposition that we need to look into a business’s reputation is good. However, I think you’re confusing two concepts. When you file a business certificate with a local office, such as a county clerk’s office, you’re only confirming that the business has a real person behind it. the way to protect against personal liability is to form a corporation. If all you’ve filed is a business certificate linking your given name to your business name, you can be sued. The case caption would be something like this:

XYZ v. Joe Soap d/b/a Bubbles Enterprises

“D/b/a” stands for “doing business as.”

[...]

I can’t comment on that.  I was just told to register my business name because lawyers will just do a fishing exposition and if your name comes up rightly or wrongly they will file a law suit. Almost like dropping a fishing net in the water and whatever it catches, so be it.  I also have business insurance to prevent liable suits.  Not sure how it would work with ones not in my field.  I know there was someone in this area who offered dog day care or walking. She moved around a lot so if someone was not happy with her service, she’d never be found because of almost living out of her van and moving from town to town. Thanks for the feedback.

[...]

HH. Smith Jr.

Hi Richard,

I had to build a website for college purposes; but, the free hosting sites they afforded to me were inaccessible. I did some research and found:

https://www.ionos.com/websites/launch-your-website?utm_medium=service_box&utm_source=mail

I was able to register my domain for about 15bucks a year with a monthly fee of about 5bucks. Their representatives are very helpful with setup.