moderated Very Strange Computer Sleep/Wake Issue

Tom Behler

Hello, everyone.

In my 30+ years of working with computers, I have never seen an issue quite this strange, and am hoping for an explanation or a fix from some of our list members.

I have my Dell Windows 10 laptop set to go to sleep after I close the lid.

This worked relatively well until recently.

Now, my computer still goes to sleep at the set time after closing the lid, but wakes up again about 2 minutes later, and then stays on continually from there.

I have checked my sleep settings, and nothing seems to have been changed, so far as I can tell.  In other words, my sleep settings are what they always have been.

Has anyone on list experienced this issue;  and, if so, what did you do to address it?

Thank you!

Dr.  Tom Behler from Michigan

Bill White

Hi, Tom. The only thing I can suggest is to look at your Task Scheduler in Windows 10, and make sure that there are no tasks scheduled with triggers that will wake the computer from sleep to perform said task.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

In my 30+ years of working with computers, I have never seen an issue quite this strange, and am hoping for an explanation or a fix from some of our list members.

I have my Dell Windows 10 laptop set to go to sleep after I close the lid.

This worked relatively well until recently.

Now, my computer still goes to sleep at the set time after closing the lid, but wakes up again about 2 minutes later, and then stays on continually from there.

I have checked my sleep settings, and nothing seems to have been changed, so far as I can tell.  In other words, my sleep settings are what they always have been.

Has anyone on list experienced this issue;  and, if so, what did you do to address it?

Thank you!

Dr.  Tom Behler from Michigan

Bill White

Hi again, Tom. Also, in whatever power plan you have chosen for your laptop, go into advanced settings for that plan, and make sure wake timers are disabled.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

In my 30+ years of working with computers, I have never seen an issue quite this strange, and am hoping for an explanation or a fix from some of our list members.

I have my Dell Windows 10 laptop set to go to sleep after I close the lid.

This worked relatively well until recently.

Now, my computer still goes to sleep at the set time after closing the lid, but wakes up again about 2 minutes later, and then stays on continually from there.

I have checked my sleep settings, and nothing seems to have been changed, so far as I can tell.  In other words, my sleep settings are what they always have been.

Has anyone on list experienced this issue;  and, if so, what did you do to address it?

Thank you!

Dr.  Tom Behler from Michigan

Soronel Haetir

Also, make sure there isn't an update waiting to install, hit win+x go
to "Shutdown or sign out" and check whether any of the items say an
update is waiting. I have experienced that keeping sleep from working.

--
Soronel Haetir
soronel.haetir@gmail.com

There is a recent update, I believe it's a driver update, and for an Intel component, that's causing this issue.  Let me ask a bit, as I know I've heard about this recently.

           ~ André Gide

Tom Behler

Soronel:

You correctly diagnosed my problem.

There indeed was an update waiting to be installed.

Once I took care of the update, all returned to normal, and my laptop now stays asleep when the lid is closed.

I guess we learn something new every day. I just never experienced this behavior before.

Thanks much.

Tom Behler