moderated Using Outlook and the people app with Gmail vs. Win 10 mail

Jim Weiss

Forgive me if this horse has been beaten to death, but I have searched the groups.io archive and have done endless Google searches and still have questions.
I am running Windows 10 Home version 20H2 build 19042.287 and Office 365 that is currently up to date and JAWS 2021 (fully patched).  Also I have been a Mac user since 2012 and a lot has changed since I used Windows all of the time up till 2012.
The email account I use for work is a Gmail account.  For this thread I am only concerned about email and contacts.  As I have read there is no direct sync between Outlook contacts and Google contacts.  I also see that I can sync my Google contacts with the people app, but there is no integration between people and Outlook.  I am trying to not maintain two separate contact databases for obvious reasons, and I don't want to put my contact database into a system that isn't easily recovered.  Meaning if I have to uninstall Office and reinstall it I loose my database. (Please don't start a discussion on backups and the such.)
It also appears that Windows Mail does sync directly with Google contacts (and calendar) unless I am misreading things on Google.  I have not personally attempted to add this Gmail account to Windows Mail.
Since I only care about email and contacts should I abandon Outlook and pursue the Windows 10 Mail app?  Does Mail sync contacts with Google or does it integrate with the people app?  I don't care if the people app is part of the equation, my goal is to have one contact database that lives in the cloud.
Am I missing something very obvious in Outlook?  This integration works beautifully on the Mac and it leaves me scratching my head that it just doesn't seem to be there in Windows.
I have found third party apps (syncgene) to complete this task, but it seems that I need to create an outlook.com account and I am really not trying to add any more complications to this mix.
Recap:
If I sync Google with people, can I use those contacts in Outlook?  What I have read is "No".
Does Windows 10 Mail sync with Google contacts?  (I am fine if it integrates with the people app).
Thanks in advance,
Jim

If you prefer to stick with Outlook, and there may be very good reasons to do so, then consider using a third party contacts/calendar sync function between Outlook and Google.  I've used GO Contact Sync Mod for years, and it works perfectly.  I cannot speak to accessibility during installation or if you want to look at the logs, as I installed this ages and ages ago and I have never needed to deal with their logs, as it just works.

It's also still under support, with the last update being on March 23, 2021.

Unless something has changed, the People App does not sync with Google Contacts.  I used the "go through Outlook.com" method to sync the contacts I had then over to the People App.  And I despise the Win10 Mail App, so all of that was more to see how it could be done rather than with any intention of using the Win10 trinity of Mail, Calendar, and People apps.

            ~Brian Vogel

I'm going to take back what I said about Google Contacts and People, as in rechecking People on my machine it looks like they did, at some time, set up sync for Google.  I've got two of my testing accounts set up in People.  I've just thrown in another fake contact and am waiting to see if it syncs over sometime during the next hour or two.  I don't use People other than for testing like this, so its automatic sync frequency based on use is probably pretty infrequent.

I'll report back later.

            ~Brian Vogel

I can confirm that the People App is able to directly sync Google Contacts for the Google Accounts you set up in it.  You will also have to grant People access to your Google Contacts, but that should happen as part of the initial account setup.

            ~Brian Vogel

Jim Weiss

Brian,
Thank you for recommending the app below.  I downloaded and installed it without issue.  It worked great with JAWS.  The only stumble I encounter was with Google security, and I need to dig through my Google settings to “allow less secure apps”, but that is outside the scope of this.
I just saw your other responses.  I was able to get Google contacts to sync with people, but it seemed to require a manual sync.  My issue was people and Outlook don’t really seem to communicate and that was directly from the Microsoft community forums.
I think that I should be in good shape with Outlook and the utility you suggested (sorry, can’t recall the name off the top of my head).

Regards,
JIm

On Mar 31, 2021, at 12:30 PM, Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:

[...]

GO Contact Sync Mod uses the Google OAUTH protocol for login.  It is not a "less secure app" so that setting under Google need not be activated.

In the People App, in its settings, there are settings for each individual account you create.  I don't know that the default sync interval is, but you can set the sync interval to your liking and it should be automatic.  I've never manually synced in People, including for my testing contact to ensure that syncing was occurring.

            ~Brian Vogel

Jim,

         By the way, if you go to https://myaccount.google.com/security once you are logged in to your account there is a section on that page entitled Third-Party Apps with Account Access.  If your GO Contact Sync Mod install went without a hitch, it should show up there.  The last time I actually installed that utility I was forced to go through Google's OAUTH setup to allow it to get to my Contacts to begin with.  Also, make sure that within GO Contact Sync Mod that you have automatic sync set up for whatever interval you prefer and that it is set to start with Windows.  It's a utility that has to run in the background, with it's icon showing up in the system tray (usually in the overflow area accessed via the notification chevron) if you want it to be constantly monitoring changes.

          Depending on what contacts you may or may not have manually created in Outlook, you may also need to tweak the settings in GO Contact Sync Mod to decide "which side wins" in the event of a duplicate or whether the two sides should be merged together.

            ~Brian Vogel

Jim Weiss

Brian,
Thank you so much for all of your assistance and for recommending this app.  I hit a couple of minor hiccups but everything is working as advertised.  I did see the note below on their page, and I may be forced to use the people app anyhow in the coming months.

We need your help to migrate our code from the Contacts API to the new People API. The Google Contacts API is now deprecated and is scheduled for sunset on June 15, 2021.

Regards,
Jim