From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Monday, November 2, 2020 10:20 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: using jaws to work at a call centre as an incoming customer service agent

On Mon, Nov 2, 2020 at 09:06 AM, Larry Gassman wrote:

JAWS will work, but the degree to which it will function depends largely on the software being used.

If your call center has anyone who can script for JAWS, it would be a good idea to have them look at your company software to see if it works well with JAWS.

-
Having been in the position of having to assess this exact situation in the past, it cannot be overstated enough that someone familiar with JAWS needs to, at a very minimum, see how it works with all software the employee is expected to use.  Call centers are very fast-paced environments, and you really can't afford to have things work perfectly 96% of the time.

In addition, and this was a problem at the company I was working with for the client I was working with, a significant amount of the software they were using was custom and not web-browser-based, and all of that had to be custom scripted.

Provided everyone knows that the effort to get you up and running could (note: could) be extensive, and everyone's willing to commit to doing the necessary slogging, there's no reason it couldn't work out.  It did for the client to whom I make indirect reference because the company was committed to her and to the expense (and in this case it was significant) of having all the custom JAWS scripting done to allow her to be successful in that role.

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

Brent Harding

I am pretty sure things are widely different from place to place, but where I worked for four years, the calls that were for me just automatically beeped in, and they were on. Also, there was a pause button that puts you into an after call mode where calls don’t come, so that you can finish up whatever is needed at the end. However, things really depend on the rest of the software in that how accounts are updated, products sold, etc, in how well or not it might work with Jaws. I know that not getting an AT person from VR that knew Jaws scripting probably meant that some aspects were slower than I’d have liked, where I was at was quite impressed with my abilities more than they had the abilities to fix things in an ideal way. They closed up the local site just at the end of this February, and I’m looking for another one to get into. However, throwing in the whole remote thing, it might be a bumpy road unless they use things that are very standard, web-based, etc. There were so many times I thought I’d give up because of the whole accessibility situation, but I’m sure glad I stuck with it as long as it was.