Topics

moderated Using JAWS to create a label for a button on a web site, which has no text label

Dave Durber

Hello everyone:

The other day, I accessed a web site, which on the whole, was very accessible.

Unfortunately, there were 2 problems. the first, was the link, which took you to the shopping basket page. This link had no text lable, to tell a user of a screen reader the purpose of the link. The link is a standard HTML coded link.

the second is a standard HTML button, which also does not have a text label. This button is for removing an item from the shopping basket.

My question is, is there a way within JAWS, where you can attach labels to specific links and buttons on an individual web site?

The link and button on this web site are not graphics

Thanks in anticipation.

Dave Durber

Could you give the link to that site if it's not private?

The other day, I accessed a web site, which on the whole, was very accessible.

Unfortunately, there were 2 problems. the first, was the link, which took you to the shopping basket page. This link had no text lable, to tell a user of a screen reader the purpose of the link. The link is a standard HTML coded link.

the second is a standard HTML button, which also does not have a text label.
This button is for removing an item from the shopping basket.

My question is, is there a way within JAWS, where you can attach labels to specific links and buttons on an individual web site?

The link and button on this web site are not graphics

Thanks in anticipation.

Dave Durber

Mike B

Hi Dave,

Here are 2 sets of steps:

From: Carlos
Place focus on the link or button to which you want to assign a label, press Insert+F2, and select
"Custom Label" from the list.
This has been in JAWS going back at least several versions.  These are different features for doing similar things.  The "Prompt Creator" and "Graphics
Labeler" are used for labeling controls and graphics in applications.  The "Custom Label" option is used for labeling HTML elements like buttons and links
on webpages.
Carlos

From: Mauricio Molina
When on the Internet, once you locate a button without a label, press JAWS / Insert Key, Control, + Tab.  You will then be asked to type in a label.
Mauricio

Sent: Friday, April 17, 2020 2:47 AM

Hello everyone:

The other day, I accessed a web site, which on the whole, was very
accessible.

Unfortunately, there were 2 problems. the first, was the link, which took
you to the shopping basket page. This link had no text lable, to tell a user
of a screen reader the purpose of the link. The link is a standard HTML
coded link.

the second is a standard HTML button, which also does not have a text label.
This button is for removing an item from the shopping basket.

My question is, is there a way within JAWS, where you can attach labels to
specific links and buttons on an individual web site?

The link and button on this web site are not graphics

Thanks in anticipation.

Dave Durber

Dave Durber

Ceigart:

Unfortunately, the link and the button I posted about, are on the site after you have logged on with your user name and password.

Dave Durber

Could you give the link to that site if it's not private?

The other day, I accessed a web site, which on the whole, was very accessible.

Unfortunately, there were 2 problems. the first, was the link, which took you to the shopping basket page. This link had no text lable, to tell a user of a screen reader the purpose of the link. The link is a standard HTML coded link.

the second is a standard HTML button, which also does not have a text label.
This button is for removing an item from the shopping basket.

My question is, is there a way within JAWS, where you can attach labels to specific links and buttons on an individual web site?

The link and button on this web site are not graphics

Thanks in anticipation.

Dave Durber

NFB Lab 4

I have not seen a response to your inquiry.
If you are focused on a link or button, press insert+control+tab to rename
an element.

I hope this does what you want it to.
Thom

[...]

Marty Hutchings

Thank you so much for this. I have now labeled the player buttons on the Moody Radio Player for listening live.

Love in Christ
Marty
Ephesians 6:12, 13

Unfortunately, the link and the button I posted about, are on the site after
you have logged on with your user name and password.

Dave Durber

Could you give the link to that site if it's not private?

The other day, I accessed a web site, which on the whole, was very
accessible.

Unfortunately, there were 2 problems. the first, was the link, which took
you to the shopping basket page. This link had no text label, to tell a user
of a screen reader the purpose of the link. The link is a standard HTML
coded link.

the second is a standard HTML button, which also does not have a text label.
This button is for removing an item from the shopping basket.

My question is, is there a way within JAWS, where you can attach labels to
specific links and buttons on an individual web site?

The link and button on this web site are not graphics

Thanks in anticipation.

Dave Durber

Dave Durber

Hello Mike:

I used the suggestion you provided from Carlos, on the web site to which I referred.

I created a text label for the link which opens the shopping basket page, and I also created a label for the button, which deletes an item from the shopping basket. Both these now speak the 2 elements.

However, there is a button on the home page which activates the search function. JAWS allowed me to create a label for the button. However, when I entered text for an item in the Search edit field, and tabbed to the Search button to activate the search, the text label I created for the button, was not spoken by JAWS. The button to start the search, appears to be an HTML defined button. so, it is a mystery, why JAWS will not speak the label I created for it.

Dave Durber

From: Mauricio Molina

Sent: Friday, April 17, 2020 2:47 AM

Hello everyone:

The other day, I accessed a web site, which on the whole, was very
accessible.

Unfortunately, there were 2 problems. the first, was the link, which took
you to the shopping basket page. This link had no text lable, to tell a user
of a screen reader the purpose of the link. The link is a standard HTML
coded link.

the second is a standard HTML button, which also does not have a text label.
This button is for removing an item from the shopping basket.

My question is, is there a way within JAWS, where you can attach labels to
specific links and buttons on an individual web site?

The link and button on this web site are not graphics

Thanks in anticipation.

Dave Durber

Dave Durber

Hello Tom:

See my reply message, I just posted to Mike.

Thank you for your suggestion, I will try it.

Dave durber

[...]

Have you tried marking that button with a Placemarker instead?  You can  then name the placemarker, maybe!

From: Mauricio Molina

Sent: Friday, April 17, 2020 2:47 AM

Hello everyone:

The other day, I accessed a web site, which on the whole, was very
accessible.

Unfortunately, there were 2 problems. the first, was the link, which took
you to the shopping basket page. This link had no text lable, to tell a user
of a screen reader the purpose of the link. The link is a standard HTML
coded link.

the second is a standard HTML button, which also does not have a text label.
This button is for removing an item from the shopping basket.

My question is, is there a way within JAWS, where you can attach labels to
specific links and buttons on an individual web site?

The link and button on this web site are not graphics

Thanks in anticipation.

Dave Durber

Thabo Baseki <THAB0.BASEKI@...>

Hi Tom!

Thanks so much, this

While we’re still here, I would like to invite you to visit jw.org. There you will find answers to many questions such as: Why do we suffer? Does God care about me? How can I find true happiness? What is the key to a successful family? These and more are available on jw.org in over 1000 languages free of charge. Would you welcome a Bible discussion? I’m more than willing to chat.

[...]

I have tried to label buttons on a web media player for a radio station listen live using the Insert + F2 and arrowing down to Custom Label.  I am using JAWS 21 latest build and Windows 7 and Google Chrome.  The buttons work and read correctly until I close the page.  When I come back the next day, the buttons are back to just saying Button when I navigate to them.  Why don’t my labels stick?

Love in Christ
Marty

From: Mauricio Molina

Sent: Friday, April 17, 2020 2:47 AM

Hello everyone:

The other day, I accessed a web site, which on the whole, was very
accessible.

Unfortunately, there were 2 problems. the first, was the link, which took
you to the shopping basket page. This link had no text lable, to tell a user
of a screen reader the purpose of the link. The link is a standard HTML
coded link.

the second is a standard HTML button, which also does not have a text label.
This button is for removing an item from the shopping basket.

My question is, is there a way within JAWS, where you can attach labels to
specific links and buttons on an individual web site?

The link and button on this web site are not graphics

Thanks in anticipation.

Dave Durber

Udo Egner-Walter

Hi Marty,

I don't know why JAWS can't remember the labels but personally I think perhaps it's better to make a domain-specific script working only on this particular side. Can you share a web links so I can have a closer look if this is possible?

All the best
Udo

Am 05.03.2021 um 05:02 schrieb Marty Hutchings <mhutchings152730@...>:

I have tried to label buttons on a web media player for a radio station listen live using the Insert + F2 and arrowing down to Custom Label.  I am using JAWS 21 latest build and Windows 7 and Google Chrome.  The buttons work and read correctly until I close the page.  When I come back the next day, the buttons are back to just saying Button when I navigate to them.  Why don’t my labels stick?

Love in Christ
Marty

Marty Hutchings

Udo,  Here is the website URL.
Go to this link:

Love in Christ
Marty

Sent: Sunday, March 07, 2021 10:26 AM

[...]

the site you mentioned could be made accessible with scripts by using domain-specific scripting. It's not difficult to do and if you or one of the other list members wants to know, I can describe how to do this so you or the others can use this approach on other sites too. But if you want to use the scripts only let me know and I will provide a link to the scripts.

All the best
Udo

Am 08.03.2021 um 21:06 schrieb Marty Hutchings <mhutchings152730@...>:

Udo,  Here is the website URL.
Go to this link:

Love in Christ
Marty

Sent: Sunday, March 07, 2021 10:26 AM

[...]

Roger Crome

I’d be interested in the domain specific scripting instructions.

Sent: Sunday, March 07, 2021 10:26 AM

[...]

Mario

I don't know when I would need to know how to do this, so yes, please do post how.

the site you mentioned could be made accessible with scripts by using
domain-specific scripting. It's not difficult to do and if you or one of
the other list members wants to know, I can describe how to do this so
you or the others can use this approach on other sites too. But if you
want to use the scripts only let me know and I will provide a link to
the scripts.

All the best
Udo

Am 08.03.2021 um 21:06 schrieb Marty Hutchings
<mhutchings152730@gmail.com <mailto:mhutchings152730@gmail.com>>:

Udo,  Here is the website URL.
https://www.moodyradio.org/stations/chicago/
<https://www.moodyradio.org/stations/chicago/>
Go to this link:
*A web media player will open with buttons for Play/Pause, Volume Up
and Volume Down. JAWS only speaks these as “Button”.  I can label
them, but when I close and return the next day, the labels are
gone.**Listen Live*
<https://www.moodyradio.org/radioplayer.aspx?station=WMBI>
Love in Christ
Marty
If we view this present life as our primary goal, we will agree with
William Shakespeare who said: “Life is a tale told by an idiot, full
of sound and fury, signifying nothing.” From TODAY IN THE WORD June 1,
2020
[...]

Yes, the scripts would be nice.  Thanks.

Love in Christ
Marty

Sent: Sunday, March 07, 2021 10:26 AM

[...]

Hi all,

I did my best to describe the process of making this site accessible with domain-specific scripting. You can find all files hiere:

https://e.pcloud.link/publink/show?code=VZ1w3kZ8OCf4IgIaubyeg3lYhdqDQe2o5Bk

The folder contains these files.

ReadMe.txt:
A quick installation guide if you want to use the scripts only.

www.moodyradio.org.jkm
The key map file with the hot keys. I used:
Alt+I, Infos for domain-specific scripting
Shift+Alt+RightArrow, louder volume
Shift+Alt+S, Player Pause
Shift+Alt+P, Player Play
Shift+Alt+LeftArrow, less volume

www.moodyradio.org.jsb
The binary script file for JAWS 2021. If this won't run, you can compile the source code again as described in ReadMe.txt.

www.moodyradio.org.jss
The script source file I used.

www.moodyradio.org.txt
Instructions how to make domain-specific scripts with www.moodyradio.org as example.

Use the scripts and instructions at your own risk.

Please let me know if something is missing or wrong.

Happy scripting
Udo