Topics

moderated Using Facebook

kevin meyers

Hello,

I’m using windows 10 and Jaws 2020 most recent versions. I have been looking for Facebook documentation. Does anyone know of any thing will help? I’m always having problems finding the list of my friends. Or viewing a comment someone makes  which I get through an email.

Thanks,

Kevin

David Diamond

What browser are you using?  Are you using the mobile version of Facebook or the full blown version.  I’m using the mobile version of face book and edge as my browser.  I used I E then switched to Chrome because it was more informative, giving me the ability to check on messages via messenger, notifications and groups.  Then Edge became just as good as Chrome in it’s accessibility so I’ve switched to Edge.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of kevin meyers
Sent: August 24, 2020 7:17 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Using Facebook

Hello,

I’m using windows 10 and Jaws 2020 most recent versions. I have been looking for Facebook documentation. Does anyone know of any thing will help? I’m always having problems finding the list of my friends. Or viewing a comment someone makes  which I get through an email.

Thanks,

Kevin

kevin meyers

I tried mobile and the full blown version. I use Google Chrome as my browser.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of David Diamond
Sent: Monday, August 24, 2020 10:31 AM
Subject: Re: Using Facebook

What browser are you using?  Are you using the mobile version of Facebook or the full blown version.  I’m using the mobile version of face book and edge as my browser.  I used I E then switched to Chrome because it was more informative, giving me the ability to check on messages via messenger, notifications and groups.  Then Edge became just as good as Chrome in it’s accessibility so I’ve switched to Edge.

Hello,

Thanks,

Kevin

Marianne Denning

I have the same problem. I use the mobile version of Facebook, Chrome and the most current version of JAWS.

Sent: Monday, August 24, 2020 11:31 AM

Hello,

Thanks,

Kevin

Justin Williams

Inter net explorer sems to work wel, but I've also just started using mbasic.facebook.com through google chrome.

It works well.

Thanks,

Justin

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Marianne Denning
Sent: Monday, August 24, 2020 12:14 PM

I have the same problem. I use the mobile version of Facebook, Chrome and the most current version of JAWS.

Hello,

Thanks,

Kevin

Rick Miller

I am using Chrome.  I see that Facebook has changed.  Whenever I find the page of someone I want to add as a friend, I can’t do it anymore.  It used to be real easy.  Whenever I would find that person’s page I would just arrow down and eventually I would find where  it says “Add John Smith as a friend.”  I would hit the Enter key, then there would be a notice saying that my request had been sent.  Now it’s not like that.  Now I don’t know how to add someone.  I have tried using both the regular and the mobile Chrome browsers but nothing has worked.  I am using Windows 10 and the latest version of JAWS.

Rick Miller

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Marianne Denning
Sent: Monday, August 24, 2020 9:14 AM

Hello,

Thanks,

Kevin

Ron Kolesar

I can agree with this.
I too have a huge time getting around out on face book via both JAWS and or NVDA.
Even though my brother who’s also a jaws user, has a better time out on face book than I do.
I’ve been thinking of pulling my face book account down, since I don’t use it all that much.
But, if I can get some advice from a fellow JAWS user to make it more accessible, than I’ll probably use it more often.
Just my two cents on this topic.
Ron Ham Radio Station KR3DOG

Sent: Monday, August 24, 2020 10:16

Hello,

I’m using windows 10 and Jaws 2020 most recent versions. I have been looking for Facebook documentation. Does anyone know of any thing will help? I’m always having problems finding the list of my friends. Or viewing a comment someone makes  which I get through an email.

Thanks,

Kevin

In the good old days of Morse code Shorthand, 73's AKA Best Regards and or Best Whishes,From
Ron Kolesar
Volunteer Certified Licensed Emergency Communications Station
And
Volunteer Certified Licensed Ham Radio Station
With the Call Sign of KR3DOG

Loy

try using the mobile version at M.facebook.com, it works somewhat better with JAWS

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, August 24, 2020 5:18 PM

I can agree with this.
I too have a huge time getting around out on face book via both JAWS and or NVDA.
Even though my brother who’s also a jaws user, has a better time out on face book than I do.
I’ve been thinking of pulling my face book account down, since I don’t use it all that much.
But, if I can get some advice from a fellow JAWS user to make it more accessible, than I’ll probably use it more often.

Hello,

I’m using windows 10 and Jaws 2020 most recent versions. I have been looking for Facebook documentation. Does anyone know of any thing will help? I’m always having problems finding the list of my friends. Or viewing a comment someone makes  which I get through an email.

Thanks,

Kevin

In the good old days of Morse code Shorthand, 73's AKA Best Regards and or Best Whishes,From
Ron Kolesar
And

Ron Kolesar

I already do.
Any further advice?
Many thanks.
Ron

Sent: Monday, August 24, 2020 20:42

try using the mobile version at M.facebook.com, it works somewhat better with JAWS

I can agree with this.

Hello,

Thanks,

Kevin

Ron Kolesar
And
Ron Kolesar
And

JM Casey

I read the comments here and…

While I too use m.facebook.com because it’s not much of an obnoxious setup, it is a somewhat buggy and very stripped down way of accessing facebook. There are just some things that you either can’t do or that are very inconvenient.

If you have a list of stuff, for instance, like your friends, you’ll have to keep hitting ‘see more” over and over again just to see a few more entries appear. It is very annoying if say you have hundreds of friends and you want to go through them all to perhaps take out the trash, if you know what I mean.

Anyway, I can’t tell from these messages what it is exactly you want to do? What things are giving you the most issues/frustrating you the most, that yout hink you should be able to do or have seen others do? Maybe that’s a good starting point.

As for docs, I’m not sure there really are any except the help available from facebook itself.  Look for “help centre”; it should be near the bottom of just about every m.facebook.com page. Alt-shift-0 is supposed to be a quick way of getting there and indeed it works for me, but it might not for you depending on your setup – I personally like these kind of web-page specific hotkeys sometimes but not everyone does and obviously mobile browsers and such don’t support them, so some developers consider them a “bad accessibility crutch”.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Ron Kolesar
Sent: August 24, 2020 8:53 PM

I already do.

Any further advice?

Many thanks.

Ron

I can agree with this.

Hello,

Thanks,

Kevin

Ron Kolesar
And

Ron Kolesar
And

Jed Barton

I definately would use the mobile version. I use it heavily every day
and it works great. The full facebook site is a nightmare.

On 8/25/20, JM Casey <jmcasey@...> wrote:

While I too use m.facebook.com because it’s not much of an obnoxious setup,
it is a somewhat buggy and very stripped down way of accessing facebook.
There are just some things that you either can’t do or that are very
inconvenient.

If you have a list of stuff, for instance, like your friends, you’ll have to
keep hitting ‘see more” over and over again just to see a few more entries
appear. It is very annoying if say you have hundreds of friends and you want
to go through them all to perhaps take out the trash, if you know what I
mean.

Anyway, I can’t tell from these messages what it is exactly you want to do?
What things are giving you the most issues/frustrating you the most, that
yout hink you should be able to do or have seen others do? Maybe that’s a
good starting point.

As for docs, I’m not sure there really are any except the help available
from facebook itself. Look for “help centre”; it should be near the bottom
of just about every m.facebook.com page. Alt-shift-0 is supposed to be a
quick way of getting there and indeed it works for me, but it might not for
you depending on your setup – I personally like these kind of web-page
specific hotkeys sometimes but not everyone does and obviously mobile
browsers and such don’t support them, so some developers consider them a
“bad accessibility crutch”.

I already do.

Any further advice?

Many thanks.

Ron

To: main@jfw.groups.io <mailto:main@jfw.groups.io>

try using the mobile version at M.facebook.com, it works somewhat better
with JAWS

I can agree with this.

I too have a huge time getting around out on face book via both JAWS and or
NVDA.

Even though my brother who’s also a jaws user, has a better time out on face
book than I do.

I’ve been thinking of pulling my face book account down, since I don’t use
it all that much.

But, if I can get some advice from a fellow JAWS user to make it more
accessible, than I’ll probably use it more often.

Hello,

I’m using windows 10 and Jaws 2020 most recent versions. I have been looking
for Facebook documentation. Does anyone know of any thing will help? I’m
always having problems finding the list of my friends. Or viewing a comment
someone makes which I get through an email.

Thanks,

Kevin

In the good old days of Morse code Shorthand, 73's AKA Best Regards and or
Best Whishes,From
Ron Kolesar
And

In the good old days of Morse code Shorthand, 73's AKA Best Regards and or
Best Whishes,From
Ron Kolesar
And

JM Casey

Well..i sort of agree with you actually, but I think that's really a matter of both perspective and what exactly you want to make of facebook. If you really want the full facebook experience, the mobile site just won't do. But I expect it's good enough for most of us.

I haven't received comment notifications by email in a long time so I can't really check on that..I used to be able to click on a link from the e-mail and go straight to the comment. It was nice but I was getting too many e-mails from facebook so turned the feature off.
As for a friends list, which I saw was mentioned:
Go to your "wall" or "profile" page -- not the news feed. That means, click on the link that is your username. From there, click "friends". You will see a list that shows your recent message contacts first. It will scrolll onwards when you hit "see more" -- which you'll have to do again and again if you have a lot of friends, or just use the search field to look for a specific person.

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jed Barton
Sent: August 25, 2020 12:57 PM

I definately would use the mobile version. I use it heavily every day and it works great. The full facebook site is a nightmare.

On 8/25/20, JM Casey <jmcasey@...> wrote:

While I too use m.facebook.com because it’s not much of an obnoxious
setup, it is a somewhat buggy and very stripped down way of accessing facebook.
There are just some things that you either can’t do or that are very
inconvenient.

If you have a list of stuff, for instance, like your friends, you’ll
have to keep hitting ‘see more” over and over again just to see a few
more entries appear. It is very annoying if say you have hundreds of
friends and you want to go through them all to perhaps take out the
trash, if you know what I mean.

Anyway, I can’t tell from these messages what it is exactly you want to do?
What things are giving you the most issues/frustrating you the most,
that yout hink you should be able to do or have seen others do? Maybe
that’s a good starting point.

As for docs, I’m not sure there really are any except the help
available from facebook itself. Look for “help centre”; it should be
near the bottom of just about every m.facebook.com page. Alt-shift-0
is supposed to be a quick way of getting there and indeed it works for
me, but it might not for you depending on your setup – I personally
like these kind of web-page specific hotkeys sometimes but not
everyone does and obviously mobile browsers and such don’t support
them, so some developers consider them a “bad accessibility crutch”.

I already do.

Any further advice?

Many thanks.

Ron

try using the mobile version at M.facebook.com, it works somewhat
better with JAWS

I can agree with this.

I too have a huge time getting around out on face book via both JAWS
and or NVDA.

Even though my brother who’s also a jaws user, has a better time out
on face book than I do.

I’ve been thinking of pulling my face book account down, since I don’t
use it all that much.

But, if I can get some advice from a fellow JAWS user to make it more
accessible, than I’ll probably use it more often.

Hello,

I’m using windows 10 and Jaws 2020 most recent versions. I have been
looking for Facebook documentation. Does anyone know of any thing will
help? I’m always having problems finding the list of my friends. Or
viewing a comment someone makes which I get through an email.

Thanks,

Kevin

In the good old days of Morse code Shorthand, 73's AKA Best Regards
and or Best Whishes,From Ron Kolesar Volunteer Certified Licensed
Emergency Communications Station And Volunteer Certified Licensed Ham
Radio Station With the Call Sign of KR3DOG

In the good old days of Morse code Shorthand, 73's AKA Best Regards
and or Best Whishes,From Ron Kolesar Volunteer Certified Licensed
Emergency Communications Station And Volunteer Certified Licensed Ham
Radio Station With the Call Sign of KR3DOG