Topics

moderated Using excel with Jaws question

Shan Noyes

Hi folks:

I would like to know if there is a key board command when one is in excel to due the following

1. You have a column of information that is thousand of lines in length. This column is sorted.
  2. Is there a key command that one can issue that will jump the focus  down the column  to where the information that the focus was on before issuing the command changes.

Thanks have a good and safe day everyone

Shan Noyes

Technical Analyst – Systems Security

GIAC

W: 306 777-4830

C: 306 533-1440

NOTICE: This confidential e-mail message is only for the intended recipients. If you are not the intended recipient, be advised that disclosing, copying, distributing, or any other use of this message, is strictly prohibited. In such case, please destroy this message and notify the sender.

NFB Lab 4

If you remember what that sell value was, after you sort it, could you then do a find with control F and type in that value? Or copy that sells value to your clipboard and then do your control F and paste the amount in the find field.

On Sep 1, 2020, at 12:02 PM, Shan Noyes <shan.noyes@...> wrote:

Hi folks:

I would like to know if there is a key board command when one is in excel to due the following

1. You have a column of information that is thousand of lines in length. This column is sorted.
  2. Is there a key command that one can issue that will jump the focus  down the column  to where the information that the focus was on before issuing the command changes.

Shan Noyes

GIAC

NOTICE: This confidential e-mail message is only for the intended recipients. If you are not the intended recipient, be advised that disclosing, copying, distributing, or any other use of this message, is strictly prohibited. In such case, please destroy this message and notify the sender.

Shan Noyes

What I’m trying to do is say I have a column of information. That is thousand of lines long.  I can sort it and when viewing the first item in the sorted column I want to jump the focus down to the next sorted value in the column.  I have no idea what it is or what  where it will show up.

e.g. say it is a list of ip addresses from a server log.  I am on the first ip, I don’t know how many times this ip shows up before it changes to the next ip address.

Hopefully that explains what I’m wanting to do.

Thanks

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of NFB Lab 4 via groups.io
Sent: Tuesday, September 1, 2020 11:26 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Using excel with Jaws question

-------------------------------------------------------------
WARNING, this email originated from outside of SaskTel.
Do not click links or open attachments unless you trust the sender and believe the contents are safe.
--------------------------------------------------------------

If you remember what that sell value was, after you sort it, could you then do a find with control F and type in that value? Or copy that sells value to your clipboard and then do your control F and paste the amount in the find field.

Hi folks:

Shan Noyes

GIAC

Chris Chaffin

Sorry, but still trying to figure out exactly what you are asking to do in Excel.

If you have one or multiple rows that you are switching between, then you could look into using Monitor cells. You can designate up to 10 cells as monitor cells. After designating a cell as a monitor cell, you then can have Jaws say what is in that cell no matter where you are on the worksheet, and you can also choose to move to one or multiple monitor cells if you want. All Jaws keystrokes dealing with monitor cells can be accessed by pressing Jaws key + the letter H.

If you are wanting to just return to the previous cell that you were at, there is not a particular keystroke for this. You can use f5 or control + G to bring up the Go to dialog box. You can then type in the cell you want to move to, or tab once for a list of prior cells to move to.

Hopefully this was of some help.

Chris

Hi folks:

Shan Noyes

GIAC

Chris Chaffin

I have the keystroke that you are needing.

Ok, hold down the control and shift. Do not let go of theese 2 keys. Now while holding down these keys, hit down arrow, do not hold down the down arrow, just press it. wait a second, then hit the backspace key. The backspace key is normally above the enter key.

Each time you press the backspace key, it will jump to the next different value in the column.

I have tested this and it does work.

Chris

On Sep 1, 2020, at 1:32 PM, Shan Noyes <shan.noyes@...> wrote:

What I’m trying to do is say I have a column of information. That is thousand of lines long.  I can sort it and when viewing the first item in the sorted column I want to jump the focus down to the next sorted value in the column.  I have no idea what it is or what  where it will show up.

e.g. say it is a list of ip addresses from a server log.  I am on the first ip, I don’t know how many times this ip shows up before it changes to the next ip address.

Thanks

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of NFB Lab 4 via groups.io

Do not click links or open attachments unless you trust the sender and believe the contents are safe.

Hi folks:

Shan Noyes

GIAC

NFB Lab 4

I see what you’re trying to do. I don’t know of a command that will get you to the next value, but I wonder if there is something with filtering that will tell you the next number or value. Then doing a search for that or filtering to the next value.

I will let you know if anything else comes to mind.

Thom

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Shan Noyes
Sent: Tuesday, September 01, 2020 1:32 PM

Thanks

Hi folks:

Shan Noyes

GIAC

NFB Lab 4

I tried it and did not work for me.

Interesting.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Chris Chaffin
Sent: Tuesday, September 01, 2020 2:01 PM

Ok, hold down the control and shift. Do not let go of theese 2 keys. Now while holding down these keys, hit down arrow, do not hold down the down arrow, just press it. wait a second, then hit the backspace key. The backspace key is normally above the enter key.

Each time you press the backspace key, it will jump to the next different value in the column.

Chris

Thanks

Hi folks:

Shan Noyes

GIAC

Glenn / Lenny

I wonder if it has to do with the type of cell the column is set for, i.e., data or text, etc.
Glenn

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, September 01, 2020 1:05 PM

Interesting.

Chris

Thanks

Hi folks:

Shan Noyes

GIAC

Chris Chaffin

Not sure why.

As a test, I took a blank worksheefft, put the same number in about 5 cells down, put a different number in the next 5 cells, and so on for about 20 or 30 cells.
I did not change any of the cell formats or anything.

Now you do have to be in your list of numbers.
But it worked for me multiple times.

I even made a new list with only 2 of each number to see if that made a difference, and it still worked.

I am running Excel 2016.

Chris

On Sep 1, 2020, at 2:05 PM, NFB Lab 4 <nfbsc.lab.4@...> wrote:

Interesting.

Chris

Thanks

Hi folks:

Shan Noyes

GIAC

Van Lant, Robin

Chris was close. He wrote backspace, but he should have written back-slash.  I just did it for the first time and got it working with both a column of numbers and with a column of two-letter state abbreviations.

to summarize,

1, hit control shift down arrow.; this selects all the contents of the column from where you are to the next blank cell in the column. 

2. Now hit Control Shift backslash   Excel move focus to the next different value.  Note that the cells below this are still selected.   

Really cool trick, Chris.  Thank you for sharing  I’m sure I will find this valuable.

Sent: Tuesday, September 1, 2020 12:01 PM

Chris

Thanks

Hi folks:

Shan Noyes

GIAC

This communication may contain privileged and/or confidential information. It is intended solely for the use of the addressee. No confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost as a result of any transmission errors. If you are not the intended recipient, you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing or using any of this information. If you have received this communication in error, please contact the sender immediately and destroy the material in its entirety, whether electronic or hard copy.

This communication is for informational purposes only, is not an offer, solicitation, recommendation or commitment for any transaction or to buy or sell any security or other financial product, and is not intended as investment advice or as a confirmation of any transaction. Any market price, indicative value, estimate, view, opinion, data or other information herein is not warranted as to completeness or accuracy, is subject to change without notice, and KeyBanc Capital Markets Inc. accepts no liability for its use or to update or keep it current. Any views or opinions are those of the individual sender, not necessarily of KeyBanc Capital Markets Inc.

The sender of this communication is a licensed securities representative employed by or associated with KeyBanc Capital Markets Inc. Member FINRA/SIPC and may also represent KeyBank National Association (“KeyBank N.A.”). Securities products and services are offered by KeyBanc Capital Markets Inc. Banking products and services are offered by KeyBank N.A.

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114

If you prefer not to receive future e-mail offers for products or services from Key send an e-mail to DNERequests@... with 'No Promotional E-mails' in the SUBJECT line.

Chris Chaffin

Thanks for finding my typo error!

Yes, this is quite the nice trick, and can come in handy sometimes.

Chris

On Sep 1, 2020, at 4:01 PM, Van Lant, Robin via groups.io <Robin_Van_Lant@...> wrote:

Chris was close. He wrote backspace, but he should have written back-slash.  I just did it for the first time and got it working with both a column of numbers and with a column of two-letter state abbreviations.

to summarize,

1, hit control shift down arrow.; this selects all the contents of the column from where you are to the next blank cell in the column. 

2. Now hit Control Shift backslash   Excel move focus to the next different value.  Note that the cells below this are still selected.   

Really cool trick, Chris.  Thank you for sharing  I’m sure I will find this valuable.

Chris

Thanks

Hi folks:

Shan Noyes

GIAC

This communication may contain privileged and/or confidential information. It is intended solely for the use of the addressee. No confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost as a result of any transmission errors. If you are not the intended recipient, you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing or using any of this information. If you have received this communication in error, please contact the sender immediately and destroy the material in its entirety, whether electronic or hard copy.

This communication is for informational purposes only, is not an offer, solicitation, recommendation or commitment for any transaction or to buy or sell any security or other financial product, and is not intended as investment advice or as a confirmation of any transaction. Any market price, indicative value, estimate, view, opinion, data or other information herein is not warranted as to completeness or accuracy, is subject to change without notice, and KeyBanc Capital Markets Inc. accepts no liability for its use or to update or keep it current. Any views or opinions are those of the individual sender, not necessarily of KeyBanc Capital Markets Inc.

The sender of this communication is a licensed securities representative employed by or associated with KeyBanc Capital Markets Inc. Member FINRA/SIPC and may also represent KeyBank National Association (“KeyBank N.A.”). Securities products and services are offered by KeyBanc Capital Markets Inc. Banking products and services are offered by KeyBank N.A.

If you prefer not to receive future e-mail offers for products or services from Key send an e-mail to DNERequests@... with 'No Promotional E-mails' in the SUBJECT line.

Shan Noyes

Excellent!!!!

I just tried it and it is great…  I work in computer security and end up trolling through server logs etc and when looking at transactions and wanting to jump to the next IP address and their transactions I was using the old down arrow approach and it drove me insane.

This little trick is exactly what I was looking for when I sent my email this morning.

Just to let you all know the control spacebar for selecting the column also works with the control shift backslash item.

Thanks again and have a good evening.

Just about done for the day here.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Chris Chaffin via groups.io
Sent: Tuesday, September 1, 2020 3:10 PM

Chris

On Sep 1, 2020, at 4:01 PM, Van Lant, Robin via groups.io <Robin_Van_Lant@...> wrote:

to summarize,

Chris

Thanks

Hi folks:

Shan Noyes

GIAC

Van Lant, Robin

I’m so glad you asked the question. I occasionally need to do similar steps and never thought about there being a shortcut to do it. I’ve generally fiddled with turning on filters or such to move through the column data, but this is so much better. This is the great thing about this list!

Robin

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Shan Noyes
Sent: Tuesday, September 1, 2020 3:33 PM
Importance: High

Excellent!!!!

I just tried it and it is great…  I work in computer security and end up trolling through server logs etc and when looking at transactions and wanting to jump to the next IP address and their transactions I was using the old down arrow approach and it drove me insane.

This little trick is exactly what I was looking for when I sent my email this morning.

Just to let you all know the control spacebar for selecting the column also works with the control shift backslash item.

Thanks again and have a good evening.

Just about done for the day here.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Chris Chaffin via groups.io
Sent: Tuesday, September 1, 2020 3:10 PM

Chris

to summarize,

Chris

Thanks

Hi folks:

Shan Noyes

GIAC