Topics

moderated Using edge, how do I add a site to my desktop as an icon?

Jessica D

Hi,

I’m using the latest version of edge, with yesterday’s jaws update.

In preparation for Apple’s big keynote on Monday, I’d like to add that particular website to my desktop, as an icon.

However, when  I look at my options in edge, I’m not seeing that, as one of them.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Jessica

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Jessica,

           Presuming you have Edge set as your default browser, it's much easier just to set up a shortcut on the desktop yourself.

1.  Go to the desktop and make certain no item has focus.  Then bring up the context menu, whether by SHIFT+F10 or the Applications/Context Menu key, and select New,Shortcut from that menu.
2. In the Create Shortcut dialog that comes up, in the Type the location of the item edit box, enter the web address you need to open,
then activate the Next button.
3. In the Type a name for this shortcut edit box, enter the name of your choosing.
4. Activate the Finish button, which will place the shortcut using the name you choose on your desktop.

That shortcut will open that web address in whatever browser you have defined as your default web browser.

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

Bill White

Hi, Jessica. To add a note to Brian's suggestion, if you are unfamiliar as to how to obtain the current web address in Edge, do the following,

1. Open Edge, Open the web page for which you want to make a desktop shortcut.

2. Press ALT plus D for the address bar.

3. Copy that result to the clipboard with CONTROL plus C.

4. Proceed with Brian's instructions:

5.  Go to the desktop and make certain no item has focus.  Then bring up the context menu, whether by SHIFT+F10 or the Applications/Context Menu key, and select New,Shortcut from that menu.
6. In the Create Shortcut dialog that comes up, in the Type the location of the item edit box, enter the web address you need to open,
then activate the Next button.
7. In the Type a name for this shortcut edit box, enter the name of your choosing.
8. Activate the Finish button, which will place the shortcut using the name you choose on your desktop.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

[...]

Ok, great!
Thank you so much.
What I've done for now and this may be quicker, is to install them as apps, which puts them in alphabetical order, along with word, and such.

Regards,
Jessica

[...]

Hi, Jessica. What exactly do you mean by "install them as apps"?

How did you do this?

Thank you.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

[...]

If you open any page in edge, then press alt+f, to open the menu, you'll pind an option for, "install as app" its in the "apps" submenu.

Thanks,
Jessica

[...]

Justin Mcdevitt

Hello, group,

Specific to this post, How do I get to a place on the desktop where there is no focus in setting up a shortcut. Do I close all windows? As I recall, I focus on the JAWS and then implement the steps in the process of putting an incon on the desktop?

I would appreciate some clarification.

Best, Justin

Bill White

Hi, Justin. If using Windows 10,

1. Close all windows.

2. Deselect all icons by typing CONTROL plus SPACE, until it says Not Selected.

3. Press Applications key or SHIFT plus F10, and arrow down to Create shortcut, and press ENTER.

4. When it asks for the location, paste in the location or URL for the shortcut, and press ENTER.

5. When it asks for the name of the shortcut, type in the desired name.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Specific to this post, How do I get to a place on the desktop where there is no focus in setting up a shortcut. Do I close all windows? As I recall, I focus on the JAWS and then implement the steps in the process of putting an incon on the desktop?

I would appreciate some clarification.

Best, Justin

Mike B

Hi Justin,