Topics

moderated Using Cisco Packet Tracer with JAWS

Callum Stoneman

Hi all,

I have recently started a new job on an IT Networks team and am being encouraged by my employer to take a Cisco CCNA qualification as it will help massively with my future career in this field. I am interested in doing this, but the problem is that much of the Cisco content relies heavily on their Packet Tracer network simulation software.

When I first started at university around three years ago, our course also used a lot of the CCNA content and we tried back then using Packet Tracer with JAWS, but with no success. As soon as the program is launched, JAWS says nothing. When pressing tab or the arrow keys, nothing at all is spoken, not even "blank". Me and my tutors contacted Cisco in the hope that they could help or recommend an alternative, but they were less than helpful so we were left to find alternatives for ourselves, which we did. I studied the CCNA content and got my degree, but I'm not CCNA qualified on paper, plus the content changed at the start of this year, so I am now studying it again for work.

Three years later, things are no better with the latest version of Packet Tracer and JAWS 2020, and the alternative method I used at university (using physical devices instead of virtual ones) is not possible at work especially in the current situation. I have contacted Cisco again and this time they seem a little more helpful. They claim that they have tested Packet Tracer with JAWS 2020 and, in their words, "it works, but with some gaps" and they seem completely stuck for answers as to why it doesn't work with JAWS at all on my machine, but it does for them. They of course tried blaming the user at first, "Is your speech set to mute? Is your volume set to an audible level?" etc etc. It would be wrong for me to say that I'm a JAWS expert, but I'm certainly not a beginner. I have used JAWS for many years and am very familiar with it, but nothing I try makes any improvement with Packet Tracer.

The person who I have been in touch with from Cisco's accessibility team has now put me in touch with one of the Packet Tracer developers and I'm currently trying to arrange a call with them in the hope that we can figure this out, however I would like to know if I'm missing something with this.

Has anyone else had experience with Packet Tracer? If you have got it to work, any tips/workarounds would be hugely appreciated. Equally, if you have tried it out recently and have found it to be inaccessible, I would like to know so that I can provide as much detail as possible if/when I speak to Cisco.

Many thanks in advance for any help and comments.

Callum

Glenn / Lenny

Hi Callum,
I've never tried packet tracer, but I would suggest trying the touch cursor, if you haven't tried that already.
HTH.
Glenn

[...]

Mario

when I tried to pursue an opportunity to learn this trade a decade ago, I was told that all of the simulation software like Router Simm and Packet Tracer renders drawings and scenarios in 3D, and the problem is making it so JAWS or some other screen reader can interact with 3D like a sighted user would. in terms of having a professional scripter for JAWS write a script, it would be very difficult and complex, and by the time the script has been completed and tested, there would be a very slim chance that the script would work at all.

since then, I remember that Packet Tracer had employed 4 or so keyboard shortcuts, but don't know if they were removed or still remain. this was Cisco's solution for adding adaptive accessibility.

[...]

Justin Williams

National industries for the blind is doing a sisco course.
They are starting with persons who are low vision, but plan to do course for persons who are Blind.

However, they might answer your questions.

Go onto their site and find Billy Parker.

You might be able to find him on google without traipsing through their site.

He might answer your questions, or some over there who is planning to teach the course.

Thanks,

Justin

[...]

being curious, I dug back and found the shortcuts. not only were there 5 but a whopping 59:

Cisco Packet Tracer version 5.2 includes keyboard shortcuts that make navigation and command activation more accessible. When Packet Tracer 5.2 is launched and the Tab key is pressed, components are selected in the following sequence:

1. The Select button

2. The top yellow tool bar

3. The workspace

4. The bottom yellow tool bar

5. The network component box (device types and device specific boxes)

Similarly when the device dialog is opened, a particular pattern is observed for Tab focus.

The following table lists all keyboard shortcuts available for Packet Tracer version 5.2:

Function: Keyboard Shortcut

New: Ctrl+N

Open: Ctrl+O

Open Samples: Ctrl+Shift+T

Save: Ctrl+S

Save As: Ctrl+Shift+S

Save As Pkz: Ctrl+Alt+Z

Print: Ctrl+P

Exit: Alt+F4

Copy: Ctrl+C

Paste: Ctrl+V

Undo: Ctrl+Z

Redo: Ctrl+Shift+Z

Preferences: Ctrl+R

User Profile: Ctrl+Shift+U

Algorithm Settings" Ctrl+Shift+M

Zoom In: Ctrl+I

Zoom Out: Ctrl+U

Zoom Reset: Ctrl+T

Main Toolbar: Ctrl+Shift+A

Right Toolbar: Ctrl+Shift+R

Bottom Toolbar: Ctrl+Shift+B

Palette Dialog: Ctrl+D

Custom Devices Dialog: Ctrl+E

Activity Wizard: Ctrl+W

Multiuser->Listen: Ctrl+Alt+L

Multiuser->Port Visibility: Ctrl+Alt+P

Multiuser->Options: Ctrl+Alt+Y

Multiuser->Save Offline Copy As: Ctrl+Alt+G

IPC->Config Apps: Ctrl+Shift+C

IPC->Show Active Apps: Ctrl+Shift+Q

IPC->Options: Ctrl+Shift+J

IPC->Log: Ctrl+Shift+K

Help->Contents: F1

Help->Tutorials: F11

Help->About: F12

[Root]: Ctrl+F5

New Cluster: Shift+U

Move Object: Shift+M

Set Tiled Background: Shift+I

Viewport: Shift+V

Select Mode: Esc

Move Layout Mode: M

Place Note Mode: N

Delete Mode: Delete

Inspect Mode: I

Resize Mode: Alt+R

Add Simple PDU: P

Add Complex PDU: C

Power Cycle Devices: Alt+S

Simulation Mode: Shift+S

Realtime Mode: Shift+R

Physical Workspace: Shift+P

Logical Workspace: Shift+L

Show Router Devices: Ctrl+Alt+R

Show Switch Devices: Ctrl+Alt+S

Show Hub Devices: Ctrl+Alt+U

Show Wireless Devices: Ctrl+Alt+W

Show Connections: Ctrl+Alt+C

Show End Devices: Ctrl+Alt+E

Show WAN Emulation: Ctrl+Alt+A

Show Custom Devices: Ctrl+Alt+T

Show Multiuser Connection: Ctrl+Alt+M

Add Device to Workspace: Ctrl+Alt+(# of device)

Scenario Description: Ctrl+Shift+I

New Scenario: Ctrl+Shift+N

Delete Scenario: Ctrl+Shift+D

Toggle PDU List Window: Ctrl+Shift+O

Navigation Panel: Shift+N

Create New City: Shift+C

Create New Building: Shift+B

Create New Closet: Shift+W

Show Grid: Shift+G

Working Closet: Shift+H

Show Rubber Rectangle on Device in Workspace: Ctrl+Spacebar

Move Rubber Rectangle: Arrow Key (right, left, up, down)

Select Device inside rubber rectangle: Spacebar

Show Device Dialog for selected device: Enter or return key

Move Selected Device: Ctrl-+Arrow Key (right, left, up, down)

Copy Text in CLI Console/Cmd Prompt: Ctrl-+Insert

Paste Text in CLI Console/Cmd Prompt: Shift-+Insert

Simulation Mode -> Back: Alt + B

Simulation Mode -> AutoCapture/Play: Alt + P

Simulation Mode -> Capture/Forward: Alt + C

Simulation Mode -> Show Event List: Alt + I

Scenario Description: Ctrl+Shift+I

New Scenario: Ctrl+Shift+N

Delete Scenario: Ctrl+Shift+D

Toggle PDU List Window: Ctrl+Shift+O

Navigation Panel: Shift+N

Create New City: Shift+C

Create New Building: Shift+B

Create New Closet: Shift+W

Show Grid: Shift+G

Working Closet: Shift+H

it would be wise to look up what are the current shortcuts as it relates to the latest version of Packet Tracer.

[...]

.

Sean Murphy

The latest version of Cisco packet Tracer is far more accessible than the older versions. You should contact the Cisco accessibility group team to get an update. They will help you in this device  accessibility@...  also I would suggest using hardware when you’re learning out as it gives you the best experience. There are other solutions to Penny if they’re available as of yet. Do a search and you will find alternatives.

My experience is the part

On 17 Oct 2020, at 12:30 am, Callum Stoneman via groups.io <callum.stoneman@...> wrote:

[...]

HH. Smith Jr.

Hi Sean,

This is Henry. I have to second that motion. I bought a Cisco kit from Ebay for under 400bucks. From the last time we spoke, I supplemented it with two wireless access points, an ASA firewall, and a catalyst switch and ISR router. For the server, I am using Microsoft server 2016 using the trial reset for 1080days or 3years of a fully working trial and JAWS with aremote license.

[...]

Thanks so much for your comments, this has now been resolved.

My employer have their own software centre, it's basically an app store of apps that have been tested and approved for employees to use as many who work in corporate environments probably know. I had downloaded PT from our software centre and that is the version I was trying to use, however that is packaged as a virtualised app. I strongly suspect this is why JAWS could not interact with it.

I have now downloaded the official build from Cisco on the same system and it is now working great.

James Homuth

I’d be curious how well your version works with JAWS, if you wouldn’t mind sharing. It’s been a few years since I used it, and at the time, it was… less than useful.