Topics

moderated use of Jump to Line feature in web pages

Van Lant, Robin

I’m curious how people use the Jump to line option in virtual view.   Do you see a benefit of this over setting a place marker?    It’s a new feature since moving to JAWS, so just wondering how to use it to my advantage.

Robin

Windows 10, JAWS 2020

This communication may contain privileged and/or confidential information. It is intended solely for the use of the addressee. If you are not the intended recipient, you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing or using any of this information. If you received this communication in error, please contact the sender immediately and destroy the material in its entirety, whether electronic or hard copy. This communication may contain nonpublic personal information about consumers subject to the restrictions of the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act. You may not directly or indirectly reuse or redisclose such information for any purpose other than to provide the services for which you are receiving the information.

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114

If you prefer not to receive future e-mail offers for products or services from Key, send an email to mailto:DNERequests@... with 'No Promotional E-mails' in the SUBJECT line.

Dean Martineau

The big reason that was instituted is to support the OnMouseOver keystroke, ctrl+shift+enter. When you use that keystroke on an OnMouseOver element, if JAWS detects a change, it will say, “Change at line xx.” So you use J and type that line number to see if the change is of any benefit. 

I hadn’t thought of using that feature as a sort of place marker replacement. I don’t know how many line numbers I could retain at my age!

Dean

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Van Lant, Robin via Groups.Io
Sent: Tuesday, March 31, 2020 11:24 AM
To: JFW List (jfw@groups.io) <jfw@groups.io>
Subject: use of Jump to Line feature in web pages

I’m curious how people use the Jump to line option in virtual view.   Do you see a benefit of this over setting a place marker?    It’s a new feature since moving to JAWS, so just wondering how to use it to my advantage.

Robin

Windows 10, JAWS 2020

This communication may contain privileged and/or confidential information. It is intended solely for the use of the addressee. If you are not the intended recipient, you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing or using any of this information. If you received this communication in error, please contact the sender immediately and destroy the material in its entirety, whether electronic or hard copy. This communication may contain nonpublic personal information about consumers subject to the restrictions of the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act. You may not directly or indirectly reuse or redisclose such information for any purpose other than to provide the services for which you are receiving the information.

If you prefer not to receive future e-mail offers for products or services from Key, send an email to mailto:DNERequests@... with 'No Promotional E-mails' in the SUBJECT line.

Glenn / Lenny

Robin and All,
It is an annoyance to me and I have never used it.
LOL, As if I would know which line something is on.
You are correct, a place marker makes more sense.
I'm not sure what it's good for.
In fact, if I didn't sometimes erroneously hit the letter J on a web page, I would not even remember the jump to line function is there to use.
Glenn

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, March 31, 2020 10:23 AM

Robin

Windows 10, JAWS 2020

As Dean pointed out, it is primarily useful in connection with the mouseover keystroke. If, for example, I log into my credit card processor’s portal I have items like “Administration”, “Terminal”, “Reports” etc.

These items are mouseover links which means that if a sighted person hovers over, for example, “Terminal” then they see a new menu pop up further down on the screen with things like “Purchase”, “Refund”, “Void” etc.

If I press enter on any of them nothing at all happens, but if I use the Jaws Key + Control + Enter keystroke to activate the mouseover link, Jaws will say “change at line 9”

I then immediately press “J” and follow this by 9 and enter, Jaws will go to line 9 and now if I down arrow I can see and access all the options which have appeared there.

I find many websites use such mouseover links and in some cases they are properly labelled and Jaws will announce them as mouseoever, in other cases it may just say “link” or possibly nothing at all to identify what it is, but if I press enter on something and nothing apparently happens I always try the mouseoever link keyboard shortcut.

Best regards,

Sieghard

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Glenn / Lenny
Sent: Tuesday, March 31, 2020 8:55 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: use of Jump to Line feature in web pages

Robin and All,

In fact, if I didn't sometimes erroneously hit the letter J on a web page, I would not even remember the jump to line function is there to use.

Glenn

Robin

Windows 10, JAWS 2020

David Griffith

Thanks for this – I had no idea that Jaws had this ability – I  have saved it for future reference when I come across  these pesky things.

David Griffith

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Sieghard Weitzel
Sent: 31 March 2020 17:04

As Dean pointed out, it is primarily useful in connection with the mouseover keystroke. If, for example, I log into my credit card processor’s portal I have items like “Administration”, “Terminal”, “Reports” etc.

These items are mouseover links which means that if a sighted person hovers over, for example, “Terminal” then they see a new menu pop up further down on the screen with things like “Purchase”, “Refund”, “Void” etc.

If I press enter on any of them nothing at all happens, but if I use the Jaws Key + Control + Enter keystroke to activate the mouseover link, Jaws will say “change at line 9”

I then immediately press “J” and follow this by 9 and enter, Jaws will go to line 9 and now if I down arrow I can see and access all the options which have appeared there.

I find many websites use such mouseover links and in some cases they are properly labelled and Jaws will announce them as mouseoever, in other cases it may just say “link” or possibly nothing at all to identify what it is, but if I press enter on something and nothing apparently happens I always try the mouseoever link keyboard shortcut.

Best regards,

Sieghard

Robin and All,

Glenn

Robin

Windows 10, JAWS 2020

Justin Williams

So if I hit mouseover keystroke and I hear the line, I can jump to that line?

Or, can you rexplain that so I can understand how to use it.

Justin

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Sieghard Weitzel
Sent: Tuesday, March 31, 2020 12:04 PM

Best regards,

Sieghard

Robin and All,

Glenn

Robin

Windows 10, JAWS 2020

JM Casey

It works exactly as you guessed in your first paragraph ending in the question mark.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Justin Williams
Sent: March 31, 2020 1:27 PM

So if I hit mouseover keystroke and I hear the line, I can jump to that line?

Or, can you rexplain that so I can understand how to use it.

Justin

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Sieghard Weitzel
Sent: Tuesday, March 31, 2020 12:04 PM

Best regards,

Sieghard

Robin and All,

Glenn

Robin

Windows 10, JAWS 2020

Van Lant, Robin

Sieghard,

That is really interesting.  I’ll watch for such a use. I’m still not very savvy with mouse over elements, so the fuller picture you painted is helpful.

Robin

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Sieghard Weitzel
Sent: Tuesday, March 31, 2020 10:04 AM

Best regards,

Sieghard

Robin and All,

Glenn

Robin

Windows 10, JAWS 2020

David Kingsbury

Hi all,

Could somebody provide a link to a web page with mouseover links so we could try this out? I understand the idea but have always had difficulty finding good real world examples.

Thanks,
David

Mike B

Hi David,

If you want practice using the, Jump to line, feature you can do this on any webpage pretty much.  Let's say you go to, JoeBlow.com, and you're downarrowing or however you navigate just stop on any line, and press the letter, J, and you'll hear Jaws report the following,

Jump To Line Jump To Line dialog  Enter Line Number (1 to 126): edit

Now press the say line command, Insert + uparrow, or the, down arrow key, to hear what line number you're on.  So let's say that this is a line that has a mouseover thingy on it and you want to come back to it another time during this same session.  You would make note of the line number, then when you wanted to come back to this line you would press the letter, J, and enter the page number and press enter.  Now you could press the letter, J, then again press, Insert + up arrow, or downarrow key to verify you're on the correct line number, then press escape to get out of the line number edit field / dialogue.

Take care.  Mike.  Sent from my iBarstool.

Sent: Wednesday, April 01, 2020 12:25 PM

Hi all,

Could somebody provide a link to a web page with mouseover links so we could try this out? I understand the idea but have always had difficulty finding good real world examples.

Thanks,
David

Justin Williams

You might be able to go to the freedom page for training.

Look for the surfs up training.

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of David Kingsbury
Sent: Wednesday, April 1, 2020 3:26 PM

Hi all,

Thanks,
David