Topics

moderated update for focus 40 braille display

Marlo Green

I am having a little trouble updating my braille display. My USB will charge my display but even if I reset the display to USB, which I believebelievei have to do in order to do the installation, it does not recognize the display. I can use it in blue tooth though as I am now. I sure would like to update it though. Any suggestions?

Milton Ota

Hi,

If you are running any anti-virus software on your computer, I have found that you need to turn the anti-virus off for the executable installation to happen over a USB connection. Documentation from Freedom Scientific does not make any mention that anti-virus software may block the installation.

HTH

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Marlo Green
Sent: Tuesday, November 24, 2020 5:05 PM
To: jfw@groups.io
Subject: update for focus 40 braille display

I am having a little trouble updating my braille display. My USB will charge my display but even if I reset the display to USB, which I believebelievei have to do in order to do the installation, it does not recognize the display. I can use it in blue tooth though as I am now. I sure would like to update it though. Any suggestions?

Ashleigh Piccinino

Marlo,
If you try installing a Focus Blue firmware update for an older disp(the 4th Generation), for example, it might not work. Freedom Scientific says not to, so which display are you using? That is, the generation of display(5th or 4th). Also, I never have to quit my Norton Antivirus before installation. You might want to talk the problem out with FSLayy 

On Nov 24, 2020, at 5:04 PM, Marlo Green <marlogreen@...> wrote:

Marlo Green

I am using a 5th generation display with 2021.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Ashleigh Piccinino
Sent: Wednesday, November 25, 2020 2:07 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: update for focus 40 braille display

Marlo,

If you try installing a Focus Blue firmware update for an older disp(the 4th Generation), for example, it might not work. Freedom Scientific says not to, so which display are you using? That is, the generation of display(5th or 4th). Also, I never have to quit my Norton Antivirus before installation. You might want to talk the problem out with FSLayy 

On Nov 24, 2020, at 5:04 PM, Marlo Green <marlogreen@...> wrote:

Marlo Green

Thanks for this. I think I am just running Microsoft antivirus, whatever it is called, the one it comes with, like Windows defender.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Milton Ota
Sent: Tuesday, November 24, 2020 3:34 PM

Hi,

If you are running any anti-virus software on your computer, I have found that you need to turn the anti-virus off for the executable installation to happen over a USB connection. Documentation from Freedom Scientific does not make any mention that anti-virus software may block the installation.

HTH

Milton Ota

Hi,

I assume you are using the cable that was provided with your Focus 40 Blu by Freedom Scientific.

Are you able to see the Focus display in the list of drives on your computer?

I assume you read the instructions on how to connect and update your Focus.

If you are not able to see the Focus display as a drive, and you are using the USB cable supplied by Freedom Scientific when you got your display, I don’t see why it is not working. I would certainly contact support at Freedom Scientific and talk with them.

Sent: Wednesday, November 25, 2020 4:33 AM

Thanks for this. I think I am just running Microsoft antivirus, whatever it is called, the one it comes with, like Windows defender.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Milton Ota
Sent: Tuesday, November 24, 2020 3:34 PM

Hi,

HTH