moderated Unable to load Basic HTML view in Gmail

turab chimthanawala

Hi all,
I am unable to load Basic HTML view in Gmail. It says temporary error. Tried on 2 laptops and on Chrome as well as on firefox. The problem persists with my other account as well. What could be the issue?

Regards,

Turab Chimthanawala
(ACS, LLM)
+91-8087813609

Soronel Haetir

Don't know, it still works here. Maybe try actually logging out then
signing back in? It's been years since I have actually signed out of
gmail, even with switching computers since I always keep the old ones.

turabhvc@gmail.com

--
Soronel Haetir
soronel.haetir@gmail.com

Patrick Johnson

You are not the only one experiencing issues loading the basic html
version. Gmail has been flaky multiple times over the past few weeks
with trying to load the basic html version. Only advise, take a break
and try again after an hour or two.
Google hangouts appears to be accessible for the most part with JAWS,
but the screen reader access documentation is lacking.

Patrick

On 10/13/21, Soronel Haetir <soronel.haetir@gmail.com> wrote:
Don't know, it still works here. Maybe try actually logging out then
signing back in? It's been years since I have actually signed out of
gmail, even with switching computers since I always keep the old ones.

On 10/12/21, turab chimthanawala <turabhvc@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi all,
I am unable to load Basic HTML view in Gmail. It says temporary error.
Tried on 2 laptops and on Chrome as well as on firefox. The problem
persists with my other account as well. What could be the issue?

Regards,

Turab Chimthanawala
(ACS, LLM)
+91-8087813609
turabhvc@gmail.com

--
Soronel Haetir
soronel.haetir@gmail.com

Dani Pagador

I was having trouble yesterday, but managed to be able to load the
Basic HTML view for my various GMail accounts this morning. Hopefully
it stays that way all day.

It seems as though they've taken away the ability to keep this as the
default view, though. For the past few days, I've had to toggle it on
when I've logged in to the web interface. I can't find the "set Basic
HTML as the default view" that I used to see before, and it isn't
under the Settings, either. (Sight dependent people seem to like the
Standard view better; when my husband needs to find something in my
e-mail, he sets it to Standard view, and I'd find it that way the next
time I log in. Imho, it's not very JFW or this-user friendly.)

More Later,
Dani

On 10/13/21, Patrick Johnson <patrickjohnson1015@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Jeff Christiansen

The set Basic view as default appears at the bottom of the page after you have made the change to basic view.

[...]

The basic view as default no longer works the way it used to.

Used to be (with basic as default) I could simply go to "gmail.com"
and it would load the page with the basic HTML view already set. Now
if I go to gmail.com it loads the standard view and I have to hit the
basic HTML button for each separate visit. To use basic from the
outset I now have to use a bookmark (to the page that comes up when I
hit the basic HTML button).

It's not a change I'm particularly happy with but I've at least mostly
made the mental switch.

On 10/13/21, Jeff Christiansen <jeff@teameei.org> wrote:
[...]

I don't see the "Set Basic HTML View as Default" option either. I just
see "Standard" and then "Learn More". Glad it's not just me.

You wrote: "To use basic from the
outset I now have to use a bookmark (to the page that comes up when I
hit the basic HTML button)."

If you have more than one account, do you need to bookmark each
account's Inbox separately when you change to the Basic HTML view to
have the mailbox's webpage open in Basic HTML?

Thanks,
Dani

[...]

I suspect you do but I only have one account so can't check.

On 10/13/21, Dani Pagador <pocketfulofspry@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

What a relief! As Soronel suggested the Sign out, sign in worked.
Basic HTML is back for me.
Thanks

On 10/14/21, Soronel Haetir <soronel.haetir@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Shankar.C

I can say that its a kind of co-incident.
Since yesterday, the basic html feature has back and i was also facing the same challenge and without signing out i was able to fix the issue.