moderated Two Questions re Tables and MsWord

Dani Pagador

Hi, Guys.
Using Win10, JFW2021, and Word2016.

1) How do I insert a column in an existing table in Word? Google and
Microsoft's website says I can do this through the Layout option, but
I'm not seeing anything there that suggests I can do that.

2) How do I delete a row?

I see in JFW's help that a table can be selected, but I don't see
anything about how to select either individual rows or individual
columns (that may come up later, so asking ahead of time) to be able
to work with them.

I'm considering purchasing An Immersion In to Word from ATI but only
see an option for Word365. Does this also work backward to Word2016?

Thanks,
Dani

Zel Iscel

Hi Dani,

It is in the table layout options in Word. The long way to access this is by pressing alt and then the right and left arro keys until Jaws says 'Layout'. There are a couple of layout menus and Jaws might not specify that it is the Table Layout option so check that the layout menu is the one to the right of the 'Table Design' menu.
When you find 'Table layout' press the tab key until you get to the options you want. Jaws will also give you the shortcuts to the options as you go but I'll give you some here:

The shortcut to the layout menu is pressing the alt key, then j, then l fairly quickly.

To add a row below the row you're on, press Alt then j then l then b then e
To add a row above the row you're on, press J then l then a
To add a column to the left of the column you're on, press Alt then j then l then l
To add a column to the right of the column you're on, press Alt then j then l then r
To delete a row you're on, press J then l then d then r
To delete the column you're on, press j then l then d then c.

Hope this helps.

Regards
Zel

Zel Iscel
Principal Consultant
Inclusive World

Mob: 0413813885
Eml: zel@inclusiveworld.com.au
1) How do I insert a column in an existing table in Word? Google and Microsoft's website says I can do this through the Layout option, but I'm not seeing anything there that suggests I can do that.

2) How do I delete a row?

I see in JFW's help that a table can be selected, but I don't see anything about how to select either individual rows or individual columns (that may come up later, so asking ahead of time) to be able to work with them.

I'm considering purchasing An Immersion In to Word from ATI but only see an option for Word365. Does this also work backward to Word2016?

Thanks,
Dani

Ann Byrne

Another way to add and delete columns is to use the applications menu--shift+f10, or the application menu key if you have one. Open the menu, down arrow to insert submenu, and go from there. to delete, same thing: down arrow to delete dot dot dot, whack enter, and choose from "cells to the right" "cells below" "entire row" "entire column". For me, the applications key is my friend. that way I don't have to remember so many key strokes.

Good luck!

At 03:50 AM 8/27/2021, you wrote:
[...]

I do the same thing.  And I find it easier simply because you have to be located in the table, somewhere, in order for the row above/below or column left/right to have any meaning.  It makes it easier for me to know just precisely where what I'm about to insert is going to land.  Same for deletion, whether it be a single cell or an entire row or column.

    ~ William Plomer