Topics

moderated trouble with a new login screen in Outlook 2016

Van Lant, Robin

Sometime early last fall I bought a license for Office 2016 for my home laptop.  All was find for several months. Then, after some update in the last, I’d say, 2 months, I now get this pop when launching Outlook that tells me to login.  I can’t recall the exact message.)   Using the password to my main email account and Microsoft store logs me in.  I cannot seem to bypass this login step.  Here are my issues or questions.

  • Does anyone else get this screen?
  • This login screen is having issues with JAWS 2019 and 2020.  If I enter forms mode to type my password, I can type the first character, then forms mode turns back off and I have to manually turn it off again to finish the password.  This is a consistent issue.
  • I’m also just annoyed at this new step and would love to disable it.  I’m not sure what I may have done to trigger it or if this was just an Office update.  I did notice this coincides with now seeing a Skype icon in my System Tray that says I’m logged in, even though I don’t use Skype.  I do not get this screen if I just launch Word or Excel, although I suppose it’s fair to say that I typically launch Outlook first, so maybe I need to go test this from a fresh restart of my computer.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Robin Van Lant, Sr. Program Manager, Strategy & Performance Management

Key Equipment Finance | 720-304-1060 |  www.keyequipmentfinance.com

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114

The only time I have seen this happen is if one has changed one's store password does not match what the e-mail server knows about, which will trigger the dialog for password entry.  Generally there is a checkbox in that dialog that says, "Remember password," or something very similar after the text box in which the password is entered.

If you type in your current password, and it's been being accepted, then make sure the next time the dialog presents itself you hunt for that checkbox and make sure it's checked.

        ~ Joshua Liebman

Richard Turner

My first thought is to call Microsoft Accessibility: 1-800-936-5900
It sounds like Skype may have decided to launch at startup?
One reason I'd call Microsoft Accessibility is to have them see if there isn't a remember me checkbox that Jaws is missing.
Another thing to try, is to unload Jaws, run Narrator with Windows+control+enter and then launch word and see if there is a remember me checkbox or if it kicks you out of the password after only one character.

Richard

On Feb 17, 2020, at 8:55 AM, Van Lant, Robin via Groups.Io <Robin_Van_Lant@...> wrote:

[...]

I recently set up Office including Outlook with Exchange accounts up on a new PC and had no problems with that login screen or to check the Remember my credentials checkbox.

[...]

Ok, I’ll go look for the checkbox and see if that helps.

[...]

Adrian Spratt

Robin, I sometimes get this log-in screen. I press enter, and it goes away.

[...]

Norma A. Boge

Same here. I get the message once in a while even though I’ve checked remember me. Just hit enter and continue to Outlook, the messages should stop popping up in a few days. I think this is what we’d call a glitch.

On Mon, Feb 17, 2020 at 07:48 PM, Norma A. Boge wrote:
I think this is what we’d call a glitch.
And if it goes away and doesn't immediately come back, it is indeed a glitch.  There are all sorts of things that can screw up an attempt at logging in to a remote server.

Some servers are more inclined to "burp" than others.

        ~ Joshua Liebman

Van Lant, Robin

I booted up my computer last night. I think some of you are right that there is some glitch.  I didn’t get the message, but Outlook wasn’t downloadiong my new messages as it should, and the Outlook icon on the system tray said it couldn’t connect to the network work something like that, even though my internet connection was fine. On the Send & Receive ribbon, I found a button for entering my password and updating the account, which brought up that annoying login screen. Entering my password, did get me in, but I couldn’t find any Remember Me checkbox on the dialog, despite hitting x for checkbox and tabbing around.  I’ll ask my sighted husband to look next time I get it.  I wonder if I should go change my password and see if that clears things up.  All my other email accounts in Outlook are logging in fine; it’s the primary account that is also my Microsoft Store login that prompts me for login.

On Mon, Feb 17, 2020 at 07:48 PM, Norma A. Boge wrote:

I think this is what we’d call a glitch.

And if it goes away and doesn't immediately come back, it is indeed a glitch.  There are all sorts of things that can screw up an attempt at logging in to a remote server.

Some servers are more inclined to "burp" than others.

        ~ Joshua Liebman

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114

Couldn’t you call Microsoft Accessibility when that login screen is up and get them to connect and take a look?