Topics

moderated Trouble reading MS word documents

Shirley Tracy

Hello everyone,

Are any of you beginning to have trouble reading documents in MS Word? Or is it just me?

I wrote an important letter to a company a few days ago, and I was trying to read it today to make some changes before sending it. I had trouble simply reading line by line. Did something change? Or am I in The Twilight Zone?

Shirley Tracy

Jasmine Kotsay

Hi, Shirley,
I have not noticed this, but when I try reading a document later, I will see what happens.

On Dec 23, 2020, at 8:53 AM, Shirley Tracy <shirleytracy16@...> wrote:

Hello everyone,

Are any of you beginning to have trouble reading documents in MS Word? Or is it just me?

I wrote an important letter to a company a few days ago, and I was trying to read it today to make some changes before sending it. I had trouble simply reading line by line. Did something change? Or am I in The Twilight Zone?

Shirley Tracy

Van Lant, Robin

I havent’ had the issue lately, but definitely have had that before, especially after making edits.  You might try changing the view to Normal on the view ribbon to see if JAWS will refresh what it says.  I havent’ tried this, but also wonder if turning on Quick keys with Insert Z might give better results.

Are any of you beginning to have trouble reading documents in MS Word? Or is it just me?

I wrote an important letter to a company a few days ago, and I was trying to read it today to make some changes before sending it. I had trouble simply reading line by line. Did something change? Or am I in The Twilight Zone?

Shirley Tracy

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114

Adrian Spratt

Shirley,

Which version of JAWS are you using? Although I haven’t had this experience with Word, I am experiencing something similar with Outlook emails that I draft. I find that reverting from JAWS 2021 to 2020 restores reliable reading.

Are any of you beginning to have trouble reading documents in MS Word? Or is it just me?

I wrote an important letter to a company a few days ago, and I was trying to read it today to make some changes before sending it. I had trouble simply reading line by line. Did something change? Or am I in The Twilight Zone?

Shirley Tracy

Shirley Tracy

I’m using JAWS 2021, but I’m thinking of sliding back into JAWS 2020 for this. Thanks.

Shirley Tracy

Which version of JAWS are you using? Although I haven’t had this experience with Word, I am experiencing something similar with Outlook emails that I draft. I find that reverting from JAWS 2021 to 2020 restores reliable reading.

Are any of you beginning to have trouble reading documents in MS Word? Or is it just me?

I wrote an important letter to a company a few days ago, and I was trying to read it today to make some changes before sending it. I had trouble simply reading line by line. Did something change? Or am I in The Twilight Zone?

Shirley Tracy

Richard B. McDonald

When reading/editing the document, is its window maximized?

Are any of you beginning to have trouble reading documents in MS Word? Or is it just me?

I wrote an important letter to a company a few days ago, and I was trying to read it today to make some changes before sending it. I had trouble simply reading line by line. Did something change? Or am I in The Twilight Zone?

Shirley Tracy

Tom Behler

I have noticed this too, just this morning.

I had to go in and set view to draft, and now all is ok again.

Also, this morning, when my e-mail downloaded, it was arranged in some sort of a weird view which was not readable by Jaws.  Had to go in and manually change the view to descending order by date.

I suspect all of this might have been caused by yet another Microsoft 365 update.

Tom Behler

I have not noticed this, but when I try reading a document later, I will see what happens.

On Dec 23, 2020, at 8:53 AM, Shirley Tracy <shirleytracy16@...> wrote:

Hello everyone,

Are any of you beginning to have trouble reading documents in MS Word? Or is it just me?

I wrote an important letter to a company a few days ago, and I was trying to read it today to make some changes before sending it. I had trouble simply reading line by line. Did something change? Or am I in The Twilight Zone?

Shirley Tracy

Jason White

I’ve been receiving regular Office 365 (now Microsoft 365) updates, with no problems of this kind at all. In fact, I can’t remember the last time I encountered any sort of Office 365 regression The bugs that affect me seem to stay around from one version to another.

I don’t know why some people are encountering issues and others aren’t – it’s probably related to very specific configurations.

I have not noticed this, but when I try reading a document later, I will see what happens.

On Dec 23, 2020, at 8:53 AM, Shirley Tracy <shirleytracy16@...> wrote:

Hello everyone,

Are any of you beginning to have trouble reading documents in MS Word? Or is it just me?

I wrote an important letter to a company a few days ago, and I was trying to read it today to make some changes before sending it. I had trouble simply reading line by line. Did something change? Or am I in The Twilight Zone?

Shirley Tracy

Tom Behler

Jason:

You might be right about this.

And, that makes problems harder to resolve, because not everyone has the same experiences.

Recently, for example, I’ve been having issues with my Outlook address books.

I’m now no longer able to navigate through and edit e-mail group lists, and I have had to figure out an alternate way to copy e-mail addresses from my address books when needed.

I’ve contacted Freedom Scientific about these issues, and they acknowledge them.

They say they are related to Microsoft 365 updates.

It’s very frustrating, to say the least.

It makes me wonder whether the Microsoft accessibility people ever collaborate with Freedom Scientific prior to releasing updates.

Tom Behler

[...]

The changes are made available to Office Insiders for some time before release, so there’s certainly opportunity for any issues to be reported to Microsoft before a new version is offered publicly.

I don’t know how many screen reader users are actively testing and reporting any problems found, though.

[...]

For the record, my new Outlook problem is with 2016, which doesn’t update via Microsoft. It could be a combination of changes in JAWS 2021 and MS 365, but in my case, I can blame only JAWS 2021.

[...]

Hi Everyone. Thanks to those of you who responded.

For the record, I’m using 2016. But I think I solved my own problem. I started getting “error” messages from MS (and one message that said “updating Office”. I don’t have a clue why I got them, especially the “updating” message). I then called Microsoft disability line and the woman was about to take over my computer when I was called away by an unavoidable interruption. Understand, I had already rebooted once with no change. When I finally got back to the computer, I rebooted again before calling Microsoft back. But the problem was gone! So, definitely something had gone wrong and, without my knowing how or why, is now fixed.

Shirley Tracy