Topics

Tricky PDF and JAWS issue

Jim Portillo

Greetings,

I’ll attempt to explain my issue.

I signed up to take a class, and the instructor is suggesting we have a specific book and workbook.  I contacted the publisher, and he said that although he didn’t make the book available to people electronically, he would make it available to me provided I agree to some pretty sensible logistics.  He has the original files used to print the books, and they are PDFs.

These files are password protected, so I can view the files but not edit or change them.  I guess there is another password, if I need it, for copying or printing.

I tried reading the file with Adobe Acrobat Reader, but at first, I must not have had some screen reader settings turned on.  I went ahead and set them up and tried rereading the book.  Once it was done processing and I tried reading it, I just kept hearing “blank” whenever I scrolled down.  I had an AIRA agent look at my screen, and he said there were definitely pages of text on my screen, but I guess JAWS wasn’t reading them.

I tried doing a JAWS convenient OCR command, but when I tried putting in the password, it didn’t like it.

I already paid for these files, so I can’t very well return or ask for my money back.  I’m just wondering if I’m doing something wrong or if there’s something else I can try to get these two books to read.

I was also going to try copying and pasting some of the material into a Word file, but I guess I’ll need the second password for that.  I didn’t think I would.

Is there perhaps some other setting in Adobe?  I remember having a similar problem in the past, but that particular PDF wasn’t locked.  I still couldn’t get it to read; although, I was able to get JAWS OCR to read most of it.

If anyone has any ideas, I’d appreciate them.

Thanks much.

Jim

Dean Martineau <topdot@...>

This may be hard to solve. If you have Microsoft 365, use Open with or SendTo and try opening the PDF in Word. Less likely, try opening it in K1000 if you happen to have that. 

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jim Portillo
Sent: Monday, September 14, 2020 9:44 PM
To: Jim Portillo <portillo.jim@...>
Subject: Tricky PDF and JAWS issue

Greetings,

I signed up to take a class, and the instructor is suggesting we have a specific book and workbook.  I contacted the publisher, and he said that although he didn’t make the book available to people electronically, he would make it available to me provided I agree to some pretty sensible logistics.  He has the original files used to print the books, and they are PDFs.

These files are password protected, so I can view the files but not edit or change them.  I guess there is another password, if I need it, for copying or printing.

I tried reading the file with Adobe Acrobat Reader, but at first, I must not have had some screen reader settings turned on.  I went ahead and set them up and tried rereading the book.  Once it was done processing and I tried reading it, I just kept hearing “blank” whenever I scrolled down.  I had an AIRA agent look at my screen, and he said there were definitely pages of text on my screen, but I guess JAWS wasn’t reading them.

I tried doing a JAWS convenient OCR command, but when I tried putting in the password, it didn’t like it.

I already paid for these files, so I can’t very well return or ask for my money back.  I’m just wondering if I’m doing something wrong or if there’s something else I can try to get these two books to read.

I was also going to try copying and pasting some of the material into a Word file, but I guess I’ll need the second password for that.  I didn’t think I would.

Is there perhaps some other setting in Adobe?  I remember having a similar problem in the past, but that particular PDF wasn’t locked.  I still couldn’t get it to read; although, I was able to get JAWS OCR to read most of it.

Thanks much.

Jim

Richard Turner

Another thought is to useWindows Explorer, and bring up the context menu and select recognize with Jaws, or whatever it is called and see if it will ask for the password and let you put it in then do the OCR process.
You may have to dig through the settings in Adobe to find if there is another accessibility setting that should be set.

Richard
"He that cannot forgive others breaks the bridge over which he must pass himself,” and we forget that only grace can break the cycle of ancient hatreds among peoples. (It is notable that while I have regretted not granting grace to others, I’ve never once regretted extending it.)" - Edward Herbert

On Sep 14, 2020, at 6:52 PM, Dean Martineau <topdot@...> wrote:

This may be hard to solve. If you have Microsoft 365, use Open with or SendTo and try opening the PDF in Word. Less likely, try opening it in K1000 if you happen to have that. 

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jim Portillo
Sent: Monday, September 14, 2020 9:44 PM
To: Jim Portillo <portillo.jim@...>

Greetings,

Thanks much.

Jim

netbat66

i think there is also a setting to turn off protected mode. but i never had to go that far.
this probibly won't work if it has a password to copy the content of the files.
but you could try importing them into openbook or docuscan if you have them.
you could also try to convert them on line with
https://www.robobraille.org/
they don't say if they can convert protected files though.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, September 14, 2020 6:44 PM
To: Jim Portillo

Greetings,

I signed up to take a class, and the instructor is suggesting we have a specific book and workbook. I contacted the publisher, and he said that although he didn’t make the book available to people electronically, he would make it available to me provided I agree to some pretty sensible logistics. He has the original files used to print the books, and they are PDFs.

These files are password protected, so I can view the files but not edit or change them. I guess there is another password, if I need it, for copying or printing.

I tried reading the file with Adobe Acrobat Reader, but at first, I must not have had some screen reader settings turned on. I went ahead and set them up and tried rereading the book. Once it was done processing and I tried reading it, I just kept hearing “blank” whenever I scrolled down. I had an AIRA agent look at my screen, and he said there were definitely pages of text on my screen, but I guess JAWS wasn’t reading them.

I already paid for these files, so I can’t very well return or ask for my money back. I’m just wondering if I’m doing something wrong or if there’s something else I can try to get these two books to read.

I was also going to try copying and pasting some of the material into a Word file, but I guess I’ll need the second password for that. I didn’t think I would.

Is there perhaps some other setting in Adobe? I remember having a similar problem in the past, but that particular PDF wasn’t locked. I still couldn’t get it to read; although, I was able to get JAWS OCR to read most of it.

Thanks much.

Jim

Randy Barnett

www.crackmypdf.com can do password protected PDF's. The problem is most likely that the PDF is a bunch of images and not actual text so it cant read it. OCR'ing a text book for a class is very problematic since it always has errors and this can make it impossible to use in a school environment.

On 9/14/2020 7:17 PM, netbat66 wrote:
i think there is also a setting to turn off protected mode. but i never had to go that far.
this probibly won't work if it has a password to copy the content of the files.
but you could try importing them into openbook or docuscan if you have them.
you could also try to convert them on line with
https://www.robobraille.org/
they  don't say if they can convert protected files though.

-----Original Message----- From: Jim Portillo

Greetings,

Thanks much.

Jim

Bill White

Hi, Jim. Make sure you go to Preferences in Adobe Acrobat Reader. Once you are there, Arrow down to Enhanced Security, and turn off both Protected Mode, and Enhanced Security.

If this fails, I will write with my phone number, and you may call me. I think that we can figure this out.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Jim Portillo

Greetings,

Thanks much.

Jim

Dani Pagador

Hi, Jim.
Just a thought … have you tried opening the .pdf with Microsoft Edge?
Suggesting this because my healthcare provider sends e-mails with
.pdfs that can't be read with Acrobat but can be accessed with Edge.
When I try opening the document with Acrobat, all JFW says is "Open
parent document". My husband has looked at these documents and has
been able to read them without any problems, so I'm assuming it has
something to do with Acrobat and that file not playing nicely with the
screenreader.

Good luck with your class. I really hope you can work the access issues out.

More Later,
Dani

On 9/14/20, Bill White <billwhite92701@...> wrote:
Hi, Jim. Make sure you go to Preferences in Adobe Acrobat Reader. Once you
are there, Arrow down to Enhanced Security, and turn off both Protected
Mode, and Enhanced Security.

If this fails, I will write with my phone number, and you may call me. I
think that we can figure this out.

Bill White
billwhite92701@...

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Jim
Portillo

Greetings,

I'll attempt to explain my issue.
I signed up to take a class, and the instructor is suggesting we have a
specific book and workbook. I contacted the publisher, and he said that
although he didn't make the book available to people electronically, he
would make it available to me provided I agree to some pretty sensible
logistics. He has the original files used to print the books, and they are
PDFs.
These files are password protected, so I can view the files but not edit or
change them. I guess there is another password, if I need it, for copying
or printing.
I tried reading the file with Adobe Acrobat Reader, but at first, I must
not
have had some screen reader settings turned on. I went ahead and set them
up and tried rereading the book. Once it was done processing and I tried
reading it, I just kept hearing "blank" whenever I scrolled down. I had an
AIRA agent look at my screen, and he said there were definitely pages of
text on my screen, but I guess JAWS wasn't reading them.
I tried doing a JAWS convenient OCR command, but when I tried putting in
the
password, it didn't like it.
I already paid for these files, so I can't very well return or ask for my
money back. I'm just wondering if I'm doing something wrong or if there's
something else I can try to get these two books to read.
I was also going to try copying and pasting some of the material into a
Word
file, but I guess I'll need the second password for that. I didn't think I
would.
Is there perhaps some other setting in Adobe? I remember having a similar
problem in the past, but that particular PDF wasn't locked. I still
couldn't get it to read; although, I was able to get JAWS OCR to read most
of it.
If anyone has any ideas, I'd appreciate them.
Thanks much.
Jim

Andrew Law

Yes, pretty sure this will fix it. It is what I was going to suggest, I have had to do it with many clients.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Bill White
Sent: Tuesday, 15 September 2020 4:11 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Tricky PDF and JAWS issue

Hi, Jim. Make sure you go to Preferences in Adobe Acrobat Reader. Once you are there, Arrow down to Enhanced Security, and turn off both Protected Mode, and Enhanced Security.

If this fails, I will write with my phone number, and you may call me. I think that we can figure this out.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Jim Portillo

Greetings,

Thanks much.

Jim

Privacy Disclaimer: This e-mail message (including attachments, if any) is intended for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, proprietary, and confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copy of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender and erase this e-mail message immediately.