Topics

moderated Translating scripts from one language into another

Leo

Hello everyone,

I’m thinking of translating some useful jaws scripts into Spanish, at least, that is what I would like to do; however, I don’t have any experience either scripting or programming, so I’m on the lookout for information about how to translate and test the scripts  post translation process. On the web, I have found valuable information written by the jaw’s scripter Doug Lee, and even when those guidelines have been described in  minute detail, I still don’t   know which program I should use to modify the messages and announcements  that jaws would verbalize, taking into consideration that files with different extensions must be modified for the changes to be effective.

So, I would really appreciate if someone can provide more information or indicate a website I which I can find further information.

Thanks!

--
Leo

“Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.”
― haruki murakami,

Nermin

Hi,

when translating scripts, there is not really a single software you're going to use, since most scripts have multiple messages and usage hints accross various files.

Most scripts will use .jsm files containing the strings to be localised, while some messages may also be contained in .jsd documentation files (keyboard help with JAWSKey+1).

Doug lee has worked with a lot of folks so he knows how to structure his files such that they're not too hard to translate.

Look for quotation marks with messages that are spoken or Brailled while using a particular programme.

Not sure if that was remotely helpful, that's all I know from some of my projects, though.

Regards,

Nermin

Leo

hi Norman,

I understand, but how do I actually  open  the .jsm file?

On 12/17/2020 10:17 AM, Nermin via groups.io wrote:
Hi,

when translating scripts, there is not really a single software you're
going to use, since most scripts have multiple messages and usage
hints accross various files.

Most scripts will use .jsm files containing the strings to be
localised, while some messages may also be contained in .jsd
documentation files (keyboard help with JAWSKey+1).

Doug lee has worked with a lot of folks so he knows how to structure
his files such that they're not too hard to translate.

Look for quotation marks with messages that are spoken or Brailled
while using a particular programme.

Not sure if that was remotely helpful, that's all I know from some of
my projects, though.

Regards,

Nermin

Mario

JSM files can be opened and edited in a text editor like Notepad. and of course the Script Manager can also be used to modify JSM files since it comes with JAWS.

do not use a word processor like Word or Wordpad. you want to use a program that does not process text, thus leaving anomalies when saving the edited file.

[...]

.

Leo

OK thank you Mario 👍