moderated Touch Cursor question

Van Lant, Robin

Hi,

I’ve begun using the Touch cursor to access a toolbar in a Lotus Notes database.  This has been fantastic, as I couldn’t figure out how to access the bar otherwise.  My process is to turn on Touch Cursor, then to page up to Forms mode, then arrow down to the button I need and hit return to activate.   Once clicked a little dialog pops up confirming that I approved the document and I need to click OK    My question is, once I hit Enter on the button I have found with the Touch cursor, there is quite a long delay before I hear a little click that is somehow related to the Touch cursor and then a few more seconds before I can change back to PC cursor to click that “OK” button in the dialog box.  My question is, is this long delay normal when selecting something with the Touch Cursor?  The dialog is there almost immediately, but JAWS goes silent for a good 5 to 10 seconds, then I hear that little click, then I wait a few more seconds to regain speech and activate the PC cursor.

Using latest version of JAWS 2021, Windows 10 and  not sure which version of Notes.

Robin Van Lant, Sr. Program Manager

KeyCorp Public

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114

Mike B.

Hi Robin,

This is only an idea since I've never worked with Lotus Notes.  Is it possible that the delay you're experiencing is the time it's taking for the webpage or whatever to acknowledge the activation of the button you're talking about?  I don't know if this applies, but maybe if the screen was set to refresh automatically it might help.  Or, invoke the keystroke, Insert + Escape, to repaint the screen after activating the button.

Stay safe & take care.  Mike.

Sent: Friday, November 05, 2021 10:58 AM
Subject: Touch Cursor question

[...]

This is a desktop application.  I have enough vision to see that the dialog box opens pretty quickly, just as if I were to use the mouse pointer to click it, but JAWS is silent for some period of time and I don’t know what it is waiting for.  Insert Escape to redraw the screen doesn’t do anything. JAWS does not respond to trying to change the cursor type, so I am assuming it is finishing some process related to that action of hitting enter while in Touch Cursor mode.   Mainly just curious if others using the Touch Cursor see this kind of lag on whatever program you use it for.  I just tried using Touch Cursor to minimize this Outlook message and the responsiveness is very quick, so I’m wondering if it’s some quirk with Lotus Notes.  Maybe I’ll never know. 😊 The benefit of Touch cursor in this app outweighs my impatient wait for speech to resume.

Sent: Friday, November 05, 2021 10:58 AM

[...]

Glenn / Lenny

I have experienced this on several windows machines, including the one with 8GB of RAM.
Glenn

Sent: Friday, November 05, 2021 10:58 AM

Hi,

I’ve begun using the Touch cursor to access a toolbar in a Lotus Notes database.  This has been fantastic, as I couldn’t figure out how to access the bar otherwise.  My process is to turn on Touch Cursor, then to page up to Forms mode, then arrow down to the button I need and hit return to activate.   Once clicked a little dialog pops up confirming that I approved the document and I need to click OK    My question is, once I hit Enter on the button I have found with the Touch cursor, there is quite a long delay before I hear a little click that is somehow related to the Touch cursor and then a few more seconds before I can change back to PC cursor to click that “OKâ€� button in the dialog box.  My question is, is this long delay normal when selecting something with the Touch Cursor?  The dialog is there almost immediately, but JAWS goes silent for a good 5 to 10 seconds, then I hear that little click, then I wait a few more seconds to regain speech and activate the PC cursor.

Using latest version of JAWS 2021, Windows 10 and  not sure which version of Notes.

Robin Van Lant, Sr. Program Manager

KeyCorp Public

The sender of this communication is a licensed securities representative employed by or associated with KeyBanc Capital Markets Inc. Member FINRA/SIPC and may also represent KeyBank National Association (“KeyBank N.A.�). Securities products and services are offered by KeyBanc Capital Markets Inc. Banking products and services are offered by KeyBank N.A.

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114