moderated Thunderbird Issue

clarence carter

My wife uses Thunderbird. Suddenly a couple of weeks ago, it would not accept the password for the outgoing server.

After a few attempts at getting it to accept the password, I attempted to roll back to an earlier version.

That when the fun started.

It crashed the machine and I had to come back in.

When I did that I discovered that the profile that was associated with Thunderbird was lost. I got help from AOL  to recreate the profile. Later I attempted to find the e-mail folders, and addresses, but I could not recover them.

I have considered just calling it a day and switch her over to Outlook. However, that is not what she is use to using. Is there a way that I can recover the old profile? I have looked and I cannot find it.

I had a sighted person look, but they got a bunch of files that would not convert. If you have a way to import those files that would help also.

The import function is useless within Thunderbird.

Any help would be appreciated.

PS

I had this happen to me years ago, and I just jumped to Outlook and had it find everything. Is that still doable with the recent Thunderbird versions?

Thanks!

Chris Hill

I can only think of two reasons why the  outgoing server password would not be accepted.  Well, three actually.  !.  The mail provider changed a security setting, 2.  The password was changed by the user or three, the profile was damaged.  If it wasn't 1 or two, you know what the answer is.  I'd be doing a chkdsk on the drive just to make sure bigger problems aren't incoming.

As far as getting the old profile back.  I've never heard of using import to do that, you simply grab the stuff and put it in the proper profile folder.

CH

On 8/3/2021 19:20, clarence carter via groups.io wrote:

My wife uses Thunderbird. Suddenly a couple of weeks ago, it would not accept the password for the outgoing server.

After a few attempts at getting it to accept the password, I attempted to roll back to an earlier version.

That when the fun started.

It crashed the machine and I had to come back in.

When I did that I discovered that the profile that was associated with Thunderbird was lost. I got help from AOL  to recreate the profile. Later I attempted to find the e-mail folders, and addresses, but I could not recover them.

I have considered just calling it a day and switch her over to Outlook. However, that is not what she is use to using. Is there a way that I can recover the old profile? I have looked and I cannot find it.

I had a sighted person look, but they got a bunch of files that would not convert. If you have a way to import those files that would help also.

The import function is useless within Thunderbird.

Any help would be appreciated.

PS

I had this happen to me years ago, and I just jumped to Outlook and had it find everything. Is that still doable with the recent Thunderbird versions?

Thanks!