moderated thumb drive

meow meow

hi Rosie here...
few days ago I did ask about how to setup USB for my thumb drive
ok here so far
that I put thumb drive in USB and all I hear was dong or ding
and I ask my husband that he can see the screen he told me to go go start menu and type D:
well it work that way but I like what window 7 did that all I do to plug in and auo to bring up file that what I want that way
does anyone know how to setup to make it auo when I plug in thumb drive up instead have me to go start nenu and typ D:
on my window 11 and Jaws 22
thanks

If you're referring to auto-startup, where File Explorer automatically appeared when you plugged in a thumb/jump/flash drive, that was discontinued as a behavior years ago.

All you have to do is open File Explorer and the thumb drive will show up in the folder tree with whatever drive letter the system assigns to it (and it sounds like D is what your system is using at the moment).

It's a good idea to actually change the name of your removable drives so that when you plug them in you can recognize which is which.  If you allow the system to assign random drive letters the order in which you plug them in will often reshuffle the letter assigned if multiple drives are plugged in at once.

     ~ Lauren Bacall

That should have been "autoplay" not "auto-startup."

     ~ Lauren Bacall

meow meow

got it work thank you so much yay

Sent: Saturday, June 11, 2022 3:05 PM
Subject: Re: thumb drive

That should have been "autoplay" not "auto-startup."

     ~ Lauren Bacall

Bill White

Brian. I have a computer that is only three years old, and autoplay still works to open a thumb drive. I think you are confusing AutoPlay with AutoRun, which was discontinued due to the possibility of autorunning a program from a thumb drive or CD that could damage your system.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

If you're referring to auto-startup, where File Explorer automatically appeared when you plugged in a thumb/jump/flash drive, that was discontinued as a behavior years ago.

All you have to do is open File Explorer and the thumb drive will show up in the folder tree with whatever drive letter the system assigns to it (and it sounds like D is what your system is using at the moment).

It's a good idea to actually change the name of your removable drives so that when you plug them in you can recognize which is which.  If you allow the system to assign random drive letters the order in which you plug them in will often reshuffle the letter assigned if multiple drives are plugged in at once.

     ~ Lauren Bacall

meow meow

would it damage my laptop to make my thumb drive in after I thurn on the autoplay?

[...]

No. It won't. Just be sure to have AutoPlay open your drive in Windows File Explorer, not in something else. That way, you can see all your files when the drive comes up.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

[...]

I could easily be conflating the two.  Two many "auto" things!

If someone wants Autoplay on, under Windows 10 (and I'd presume 11, but I'm not heading downstairs to double check) you can open settings and search on Autoplay and get straight to Autoplay settings.

On my machine, Autoplay was turned on, but no default action had been chosen for Removable Drive (which would include a USB thumb drive), Memory Card, or my smartphone identified by the name I assigned to it.  I've now tweaked the default action for both Removable Drive and Memory card to "Open folder to view files (File Explorer)."

     ~ Lauren Bacall

Cornelius

This is assuming you are running Windows 10:
- Open Settings.
- Click on Devices.
- Click on AutoPlay and turn on the Use AutoPlay for all media and devices toggle switch.
- Under the "Choose AutoPlay defaults" section, the Removable drive drop-down menu and select a new default action when connecting a USB drive:, use the up/down arrow key and choose open folder to view files (File Explorer).

From now on when you insert a USB drive, it should open up the drive in file explorer.

few days ago I did ask about how to setup USB for my thumb drive ok here so far that I put thumb drive in USB and all I hear was dong or ding and I ask my husband that he can see the screen he told me to go go start menu and type D:
well it work that way but I like what window 7 did that all I do to plug in and auo to bring up file that what I want that way does anyone know how to setup to make it auo when I plug in thumb drive up instead have me to go start nenu and typ D:
on my window 11 and Jaws 22
thanks

Bill White

I believe Rosie is running Windows 7.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

few days ago I did ask about how to setup USB for my thumb drive ok here so far that I put thumb drive in USB and all I hear was dong or ding and I ask my husband that he can see the screen he told me to go go start menu and type D:
well it work that way but I like what window 7 did that all I do to plug in and auo to bring up file that what I want that way does anyone know how to setup to make it auo when I plug in thumb drive up instead have me to go start nenu and typ D:
on my window 11 and Jaws 22
thanks

Cornelius

Which is why it is important to state the OS when asking questions.

few days ago I did ask about how to setup USB for my thumb drive ok here so far that I put thumb drive in USB and all I hear was dong or ding and I ask my husband that he can see the screen he told me to go go start menu and type D:
well it work that way but I like what window 7 did that all I do to plug in and auo to bring up file that what I want that way does anyone know how to setup to make it auo when I plug in thumb drive up instead have me to go start nenu and typ D:
on my window 11 and Jaws 22
thanks

Bill White

Rosie stated that she was running Windows 7, which is how I knew she is running Windows 7.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Which is why it is important to state the OS when asking questions.

few days ago I did ask about how to setup USB for my thumb drive ok here so far that I put thumb drive in USB and all I hear was dong or ding and I ask my husband that he can see the screen he told me to go go start menu and type D:
well it work that way but I like what window 7 did that all I do to plug in and auo to bring up file that what I want that way does anyone know how to setup to make it auo when I plug in thumb drive up instead have me to go start nenu and typ D:
on my window 11 and Jaws 22
thanks

Bill White

Hi, Cornelius. After reading Rosie's e-mail more thoroughly, I believe she said she likes how Windows 7 handled autoplay. This leads me to believe that I was wrong when I stated that Rosie is running Windows 7. I believe now that she is running either Windows 10, or 11, but prefers the manner in which Windows 7 handled thumb drives.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Which is why it is important to state the OS when asking questions.

few days ago I did ask about how to setup USB for my thumb drive ok here so far that I put thumb drive in USB and all I hear was dong or ding and I ask my husband that he can see the screen he told me to go go start menu and type D:
well it work that way but I like what window 7 did that all I do to plug in and auo to bring up file that what I want that way does anyone know how to setup to make it auo when I plug in thumb drive up instead have me to go start nenu and typ D:
on my window 11 and Jaws 22
thanks

Kestrel Verlager <kestrell@...>

I would add that, if you are using an assistive tech device, it may well still be using auto-start up, and thus give the impression that this process is still used in mainstream tech.

I have a couple of ebook readers—a Book Port and a Victor Stream—which both do this.

Kestrell

If you're referring to auto-startup, where File Explorer automatically appeared when you plugged in a thumb/jump/flash drive, that was discontinued as a behavior years ago.

All you have to do is open File Explorer and the thumb drive will show up in the folder tree with whatever drive letter the system assigns to it (and it sounds like D is what your system is using at the moment).

It's a good idea to actually change the name of your removable drives so that when you plug them in you can recognize which is which.  If you allow the system to assign random drive letters the order in which you plug them in will often reshuffle the letter assigned if multiple drives are plugged in at once.

     ~ Lauren Bacall

Cornelius

No problem Bil,
My initial thought is that on Windows 7, the autoplay dialogue will popup each time you insert a USB thumb drive, which is not the case for windows 10. Hence I sense she must be having problem with that.

On Sat, Jun 11, 2022 at 04:57 PM, meow meow wrote:
does anyone know how to setup to make it auo when I plug in thumb drive up instead have me to go start nenu and typ D:
on my window 11 and Jaws 22
-
From Rosie's original message.  I commend her for providing all the information necessary at the outset.  She did say immediately before the aboe that the liked the way it worked under Windows 7, and now the info she needs to duplicate that behavior on later versions of Windows has been offered several times by several participants.

     ~ Lauren Bacall

Mike B.

Hi Rosie,

I'm very late to this thread, but this is how I get my Windows 11 system to open a flashdrive / thumbdrive when I plug it in.
1. Open the Control Panel by pressing enter on the Control Panel icon on your desktop if you have an icon there.
If you don't have the icon press, Windows key + R, to open the Run dialog and type,
control, and press enter

AutoPlay is the first item when you open the control panel, but if you open the control panel and you land on the Search field this is how you set the control panel so you can use first letter navigation.
From the, Search field, tab one time to, Category button, and press the spacebar to open.  Now down arrow to either Large or Small icon, and press enter.
Note: having either the Large or Small icon selected is necessary to enable first letter navigation in the control panel.

2. Press enter on the, AutoPlay link, an there's a checkbox for, Use AutoPlay for all media and devices, check this checkbox.

3. Tab one time to, Removeable Drives combobox, and use your, Alt + down arrow, keystroke to open this combobox.  Down arrow to, Open folder to view files File Explorer, and press, Alt + up Arrow , to close the combobox.

4. Now tab many times to the, Save button, and press enter to save your changes and close AutoPlay.  Now, Alt + F4, to close the control panel.

Stay safe and take care.  Mike.  Sent from my iBarstool.

On Sat, Jun 11, 2022 at 04:57 PM, meow meow wrote:
does anyone know how to setup to make it auo when I plug in thumb drive up instead have me to go start nenu and typ D:
on my window 11 and Jaws 22
-
From Rosie's original message.  I commend her for providing all the information necessary at the outset.  She did say immediately before the aboe that the liked the way it worked under Windows 7, and now the info she needs to duplicate that behavior on later versions of Windows has been offered several times by several participants.

     ~ Lauren Bacall

meow meow

thanks Mike
I have to check it out make sure I did it right lol

On Sat, Jun 11, 2022 at 04:57 PM, meow meow wrote:
does anyone know how to setup to make it auo when I plug in thumb drive up instead have me to go start nenu and typ D:
on my window 11 and Jaws 22
-
From Rosie's original message.  I commend her for providing all the information necessary at the outset.  She did say immediately before the aboe that the liked the way it worked under Windows 7, and now the info she needs to duplicate that behavior on later versions of Windows has been offered several times by several participants.

     ~ Lauren Bacall

meow meow

I have both window 7 on my PC and laptop is window 11