Topics

moderated Tabs in Edge

Maria Campbell

It seems that each time I open Edge each  sites stays open, gotten to with control plus tab.  I don't want that.  I prefer one site, one window.  Hope I'm being clear.  How do I change this?

--

Maria Campbell
lucky1inct@...

All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good people to do nothing.

If you ever only want a single web page to be open just go to the address bar with Al + D or F4 and type in the address where you want to go.
This will replace the currently open page with the new one.

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Maria Campbell
Sent: Friday, January 17, 2020 9:03 AM
To: jfw@groups.io
Subject: Tabs in Edge

It seems that each time I open Edge each  sites stays open, gotten to with control plus tab.  I don't want that.  I prefer one site, one window.  Hope I'm being clear.  How do I change this?

--

Maria Campbell
lucky1inct@...

Also see the instructions I just posted about how to set what opens when Chromium-based Edge is initially started, here:  Chromium-based Edge: Setting Home Page, Default Opening Page(s), and Search Engine.  It sounds as though you may have the Continue where you left off option chosen.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1909, Build 18363  

Tolerance is the positive and cordial effort to understand another's beliefs, practices, and habits without necessarily sharing or accepting them.

~ Joshua Liebman

Dean Martineau

A more permanent way to accomplish this is to go into Settings from the Edge menu. In my limited experience with this, it seems the best way to get to the On Startup settings is to search settings using the provided edit field, and type "start". Exit forms mode and hit H to navigate to the first heading, which is the On StartUp settings options. You have three radio buttons. The one I recommend is the third, allowing you to open a page or a set of pages. Once you select that radio button, you can put in a page you would like to have launched with Edge starts. That way, you will have only one page open until you choose to open others.

Dean

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Sieghard Weitzel
Sent: Friday, January 17, 2020 12:46 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Tabs in Edge

If you ever only want a single web page to be open just go to the address bar with Al + D or F4 and type in the address where you want to go.

It seems that each time I open Edge each sites stays open, gotten to with control plus tab. I don't want that. I prefer one site, one window. Hope I'm being clear. How do I change this?

--

Maria Campbell
lucky1inct@...

Dean Martineau

My impression about this is that there are two closely-related settings.  Show Home Page allows you to pick, if you want, either the New Tab or the page which is activated when a mouse user presses the Home button and a screen reader user presses alt+home. This has nothing to do with what happens when Edge starts. For that, you choose one of the radio buttons in the On StartUp group of settings. To my novice eye, these settings seem less well-organized than the corresponding page in Chrome, but one can navigate.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Friday, January 17, 2020 12:52 PM

Also see the instructions I just posted about how to set what opens when Chromium-based Edge is initially started, here:  Chromium-based Edge: Setting Home Page, Default Opening Page(s), and Search Engine.  It sounds as though you may have the Continue where you left off option chosen.
--

Tolerance is the positive and cordial effort to understand another's beliefs, practices, and habits without necessarily sharing or accepting them.

~ Joshua Liebman

On Fri, Jan 17, 2020 at 12:59 PM, Dean Martineau wrote:
For that, you choose one of the radio buttons in the On StartUp group of settings. To my novice eye, these settings seem less well-organized than the corresponding page in Chrome, but one can navigate.
The On Startup page in both Google Chrome and MS Chromium-based Edge are indistinguishable from each other.

Under Google Chrome while I can search for the home button setting I cannot then escape the completed search and use browser find to get straight to it.  

There are pluses and minuses to each "flavor" of Chromium that have been put out there, that's for sure, and there are plenty to choose from.  They're all far more similar than different when looked at from what one is generally doing in a browser on a daily basis.

--

~ Joshua Liebman

Maria Campbell

Thanks.  This is what I was looking for.

Maria Campbell
lucky1inct@...

On 1/17/2020 12:59 PM, Dean Martineau wrote:

My impression about this is that there are two closely-related settings.  Show Home Page allows you to pick, if you want, either the New Tab or the page which is activated when a mouse user presses the Home button and a screen reader user presses alt+home. This has nothing to do with what happens when Edge starts. For that, you choose one of the radio buttons in the On StartUp group of settings. To my novice eye, these settings seem less well-organized than the corresponding page in Chrome, but one can navigate.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Friday, January 17, 2020 12:52 PM

--

~ Joshua Liebman

John Covici

There is an extension for Chrome and I assume it will work on Edge,
called tab to window, which will sort of do what you want, but you
will need to press alt-x in the current item, if its a tab it will
turn into a window. Also, if you type an URL in the address bar and
do shift-enter it will be in a separate window.

On Fri, 17 Jan 2020 12:53:31 -0500,
Dean Martineau wrote:

A more permanent way to accomplish this is to go into Settings from the Edge menu. In my limited experience with this, it seems the best way to get to the On Startup settings is to search settings using the provided edit field, and type "start". Exit forms mode and hit H to navigate to the first heading, which is the On StartUp settings options. You have three radio buttons. The one I recommend is the third, allowing you to open a page or a set of pages. Once you select that radio button, you can put in a page you would like to have launched with Edge starts. That way, you will have only one page open until you choose to open others.

Dean

It seems that each time I open Edge each sites stays open, gotten to with control plus tab. I don't want that. I prefer one site, one window. Hope I'm being clear. How do I change this?

--

Maria Campbell
lucky1inct@...

--
Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
How do
you spend it?

John Covici wb2una
covici@...

Maria Campbell

In Internet Explorer, if one presses control plus enter on a link, it opens a new window.  That's so easy.  How about in Edge?

Maria Campbell
lucky1inct@...

On 1/17/2020 2:51 PM, John Covici wrote:

Dean Martineau wrote:

Dean

--

Maria Campbell
lucky1inct@...

Dean Martineau

Almost all keystrokes work across all browsers. Ctrl+Enter opens a link in a new tab, while ctrl+shift+enter opens the link in the foreground, with the original page now in a different tab.

Sent: Friday, January 17, 2020 4:36 PM

In Internet Explorer, if one presses control plus enter on a link, it
opens a new window. That's so easy. How about in Edge?

Maria Campbell
lucky1inct@...

On 1/17/2020 2:51 PM, John Covici wrote:

Dean Martineau wrote:

Dean

--

Maria Campbell
lucky1inct@...

On Fri, Jan 17, 2020 at 06:18 PM, Dean Martineau wrote:
Ctrl+Enter opens a link in a new tab, while ctrl+shift+enter opens the link in the foreground, with the original page now in a different tab.
Definitely true in all Chromium-based browsers and others (definitely Firefox).   That being said, this does not cause any link to open in a separate browser window, but just a different tab.  As you've noted, CTRL+SHIFT+Enter opens that tab and throws your focus to it at the same time (and it opens immediately to the right of whatever tab you're currently using) while CTRL+Enter opens the tab in the same position, but doesn't throw focus to it.

I haven't used separate windows when web browsing since the advent of Tabbed browsing.  I find it much easier to switch tabs than to ALT+TAB through multiple windows, many of which are not my web browser when doing so.

--

~ Joshua Liebman

John Covici

Shift-enter opens the link in a new window -- at least in Chrome.

On Fri, 17 Jan 2020 18:32:56 -0500,
Brian Vogel wrote:

[1 <text/plain; utf-8 (quoted-printable)>]
On Fri, Jan 17, 2020 at 06:18 PM, Dean Martineau wrote:

Ctrl+Enter opens a link in a new tab, while ctrl+shift+enter opens the
link in the foreground, with the original page now in a different tab.
Definitely true in all Chromium-based browsers and others (definitely Firefox).   That being said, this does not cause any link to open in a separate browser window, but just a different tab.  As you've noted, CTRL+SHIFT+Enter opens that tab and throws your focus to it at the same time (and it opens immediately to the right of whatever tab you're currently using) while CTRL+Enter opens the tab in the same position, but doesn't throw focus to it.

I haven't used separate windows when web browsing since the advent of Tabbed browsing.  I find it much easier to switch tabs than to ALT+TAB through multiple windows, many of which are not my web browser when doing so.

--

Brian *-* Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1909, Build 18363

*Tolerance is the positive and cordial effort to understand another's beliefs, practices, and habits without necessarily sharing or accepting them.*

~ Joshua Liebman

[2 <text/html; utf-8 (quoted-printable)>]
--
Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
How do
you spend it?

John Covici wb2una
covici@...

On Fri, Jan 17, 2020 at 08:24 PM, John Covici wrote:
Shift-enter opens the link in a new window -- at least in Chrome.
Er, no.  On multiple machines.  It opens it in a new tab, not a new window.

--

~ Joshua Liebman