moderated Table of Contents in Word document

Van Lant, Robin

Hi,

I have a large Word document with a Table of Contents.  The items in the contents are links.  My understanding is that a sighted user would hit control and left mouse click the link to jump to the relevant part of the document.  So far, The only way I’ve found to do this with the keyboard is to route the JAWS cursor to the PC cursor on the link, then hold control and press the left mouse key button on my laptop touch pad.  I thought I would be able to do it with the JAWS cursor equivalent of Control Insert and 8, but I get a message of” The active cursor must be in a ListView to use this feature.”.  I am using the caps lock for my JAWS key and I don’t think I can manage the finger gymnastics to try it with the regular insert key. In laptop layout, is there any other advice to activate links in Word or is my approach the best?  Maybe if I had a keyboard plugged in the numpad would work for the JAWS cursor mouse click, otherwise I’d be stuck.

JAWS 2021 and Office 365 on Windows 2010

Robin Van Lant, Sr. Program Manager

Key Equipment Finance & Key Institutional Bank

720-304-1060

KeyCorp Public

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114

The use of CTRL + Left Click is only for external hyperlinks, that is, that take you out of the document and open a webpage in a web browser.  When you hover over those, there is actually a pop-up that tells you to hit CTRL + Left Click if you want to open the webpage.

For ToC hyperlinks, that simply relocate you in the document, "the sighted way" is just left clicking and I'd imagine screen reader way is just activating the link.

Bill White

Hi, Robin. To open a link in Word,

1. Find the link you want to open.

2. Press Applications key, or press SHIFT plus F10.

3. Arrow down to Open Hyperlink, and press ENTER.

4. This will activate the link, instead of inserting characters at the cursor.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

[...]

Hi again, Robin. Another way to activate a link is,

1. Press INSERT plus F7 for the links list.

2. Arrow to the link.

3. TAB to "Activate Link" and press ENTER.

That's it. The link should be activated.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

[...]

Soronel Haetir

I would also expect you to be able to route the JAWS cursor to the PC
cursor and then use the left-click key combination (jaws+numpad /),
although if you're using a laptop without a proper numpad that could
likely be a pain, maybe the laptop layout offers another combination
for left-click that I'm not aware of.

On 1/26/22, Bill White <billwhite92701@att.net> wrote:
[...]

Key Equipment Finance <http://www.keyequipmentfinance.com/> & Key
Institutional Bank
720-304-1060

KeyCorp Public

It is intended solely for the use of the addressee. No confidentiality or
privilege is waived or lost as a result of any transmission errors. If you
are not the intended recipient, you are strictly prohibited from
disclosing,
copying, distributing or using any of this information. If you have
received
this communication in error, please contact the sender immediately and
destroy the material in its entirety, whether electronic or hard copy.

This communication is for informational purposes only, is not an offer,
solicitation, recommendation or commitment for any transaction or to buy or
sell any security or other financial product, and is not intended as
investment advice or as a confirmation of any transaction. Any market
price,
indicative value, estimate, view, opinion, data or other information herein
is not warranted as to completeness or accuracy, is subject to change
without notice, and KeyBanc Capital Markets Inc. accepts no liability for
its use or to update or keep it current. Any views or opinions are those of
the individual sender, not necessarily of KeyBanc Capital Markets Inc.

The sender of this communication is a licensed securities representative
employed by or associated with KeyBanc Capital Markets Inc. Member
FINRA/SIPC and may also represent KeyBank National Association ("KeyBank
N.A."). Securities products and services are offered by KeyBanc Capital
Markets Inc. Banking products and services are offered by KeyBank N.A.

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114

from Key send an e-mail to DNERequests@key.com with 'No Promotional
E-mails'
in the SUBJECT line.

--
Soronel Haetir
soronel.haetir@gmail.com

Soronel Haetir

On 1/26/22, Soronel Haetir <soronel.haetir@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

information.
[...]

services
from Key send an e-mail to DNERequests@key.com with 'No Promotional
E-mails'
in the SUBJECT line.

--
Soronel Haetir
soronel.haetir@gmail.com

--
Soronel Haetir
soronel.haetir@gmail.com

douglas richard dexheimer

this message appears to be a double-post or duplicate sent at same time as previous, no new material anywhere below. it begins with "on [date]" like a reply or forward, with no new material above that line or below the thread of earlier emails.

Douglas Richard Dexheimer
Chief of Braille Productions
Born-Again Productions
The Friedman Place, Apt.308
5527 N. Maplewood Ave.
Chicago, IL 60625
home phone 773-409-6163
cell phone 913-244-0612
drichardd@earthlink.net

On 1/26/2022 11:39 AM, Soronel Haetir wrote:
[...]

Bill, While JAWS announces these internal document links as Links, I'm not getting the Open hyperlink option when I hit the applications key. I get the following, which gives us a clue that the actual coding is a field, not a link:
Cut Unavailable
Copy Unavailable
Update Field
Edit Field...
Toggle Field Codes
Font...
Paragraph...
Block Authors

The good news is that your idea of using the Links list dialog box did work correctly I would have sworn that I tried that earlier without luck, but it is working. Thanks for reminding me that that is an option in Word.

[...]

<https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.keyequipmentfinance.com/__;!!L
teP8qmF6ok6!efqs0dd1j46OQkn04T-11qFizVhj7tvPou5zdhgq1gJDdxDF4mktmtept6
ZPP-d-Au8$ > & Key Institutional Bank
[...]

services from Key send an e-mail to DNERequests@key.com with 'No
Promotional E-mails'
in the SUBJECT line.

--
Soronel Haetir
soronel.haetir@gmail.com

Soronel Haetir

Douglas,

The first one contains what I meant to say (and at least in what GMail
shows me does in fact contain my message), the second one was me
accidentally hitting "send" on an empty edit field instead of the
"Archive" button.

In case the first did not in fact come through for others what I said
is that I would expect "route Jaws to PC cursor" followed by the usual
left-click key combo (for me jaws+numpad /) to activate such an
embedded link.

On 1/26/22, douglas richard dexheimer <drichardd@earthlink.net> wrote:
[...]

David Kingsbury

All you need to do is to hit Enter on the link. No need to do any fancy JAWS cursor stuff or use the applications key to find the open hyperlink.

Van Lant, Robin

David,

You had to best us all!  As long as I arrow one or two characters into the link, your simple method works correctly.  Can’t believe I didn’t try this before.

All you need to do is to hit Enter on the link. No need to do any fancy JAWS cursor stuff or use the applications key to find the open hyperlink.

KeyCorp Public

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114

Sharon S

Hi, if it is an editable document you need to turn the quick keys on first. You do this by pressing jaws key + z. Then the links will work if you hit enter on them.

Hope this helps.

From Shaz.

Canberra, Australia.