From: Mark
Sent: Friday, October 29, 2021 6:43 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Synonym searching with JAWS

I think this question has been asked before, but I haven't been able to find an answer. Suppose I am interested in dogs. There are many synonyms for dog, like puppy, poodle, terrier, German Shepard, and so on.
Could I configure JAWS so that when I do control + f and type dog, it will also search for any of these synonyms?

Mark

You're right Don. Thanks for saying that. I suppose the feature I'm talking about would be better called "find related words".  A simplified example could be a user configures JAWS to search for the words login, log in, sign on, sign in, sign up, sign-up, connect, or "go to" when searching for the word "sign in". Each of those variants have different spacing and hyphens but are related in a way the user thinks is meaningful. The user could configure it for other things. Like making a search for the word "hiring" match with words or phrases such as: employment, join our team, opportunities, staffing, hiring, etc. It would be up to the user to decide those related words.

Adrian Spratt

IN answer to mark’s question, no, JAWS find cannot search for synonyms. The most convenient way I know to find synonyms is to open Google, go into the search field, and type the word synonyms followed by a colon, then a space, then the word. Thus:

synonyms: dog

FYI, you could download a program called WordWeb which enables you to focus on a word in your document and get a definition, synonyms, similars, and so on. the information it provides is limited, but often a quick way of getting this kind of information. “Puppy” and other names for dogs might fall under the “similars” category.

Mark, a synonym is a word which means the same as the one you have.  The words you mention are not synonyms for dog.  A puppy is a young dog and the other words refer to breeds of dog.

Don