moderated Suggestions for a replacement USB sound card

Dave Durber

Hello there:

My Creative Labs Sound Blaster Figo mini USB sound card, gave up the ghost and stopped working a few days ago. I am therefore, looking for suggestions, as to a replacement. I know many of you on this list use USB sound cards. I do not want to have a sound card, which has built-in microphones, I have one which does, and since I purchased it, I have not been able to find a way to disable them or, turn them off. It is a Creative Labs USB sound card. I am sorry, I cannot remember the model number. On this particular sound card, the output to an external amplifyer, is through 2 RCA/Phono sockets. All the other connections, are 3.5 jack sockets.

Thanks in anticipation.

Dave Durber

Glenn / Lenny

Dave,
I use this USB hub for a soundcard too.
It gives you three USB ports, and has line in and out for audio.
I think it is 21 dollars on Amazon.
I use it for Raspberry PI projects, but I have used it in my windows 7 as well.
It's about the size of a small harmonica, maybe thinner than that.

HTH.
Glenn

My Creative Labs Sound Blaster Figo mini USB sound card, gave up the ghost and stopped working a few days ago. I am therefore, looking for suggestions, as to a replacement. I know many of you on this list use USB sound cards. I do not want to have a sound card, which has built-in microphones, I have one which does, and since I purchased it, I have not been able to find a way to disable them or, turn them off. It is a Creative Labs USB sound card. I am sorry, I cannot remember the model number. On this particular sound card, the output to an external amplifyer, is through 2 RCA/Phono sockets. All the other connections, are 3.5 jack sockets.

Thanks in anticipation.

Dave Durber

Chris Hill

I got one made by startech.com a while back.  It works, but needed a sighted person to turn on the headphone jack in its software, otherwise you had to plug headphones into the speaker jack.  A nice little box other than that.

CH

On 5/27/2021 10:20, Dave Durber wrote:
Hello there:

My Creative Labs Sound Blaster Figo mini USB sound card, gave up the ghost and stopped working a few days ago. I am therefore, looking for suggestions, as to a replacement. I know many of you on this list use USB sound cards. I do not want to have a sound card, which has built-in microphones, I have one which does, and since I purchased it, I have not been able to find a way to disable them or, turn them off. It is a Creative Labs USB sound card. I am sorry, I cannot remember the model number. On this particular sound card, the output to an external amplifyer, is through 2 RCA/Phono sockets. All the other connections, are 3.5 jack sockets.

Thanks in anticipation.

Dave Durber

kylee@...

Dave: it really depends on what you plan to do with your sound card. If all you want is to hear JAWS and your music, then a simple USB solo card with a single microphone and headphone socket will suffice. The Rode AI-1 is an affordable yet professional solution.

If you want a more professional setup there are multiple choices. However, you'd need to beware of those interfaces which boast touch controls instead of old-fashioned knobs, buttons, switches and slide controls. If you have a good audio reseller where you get to talk with actual experts, they would be a good start.

Cheers

Kylee