Topics

Suggestions for a new wireless keyboard

Dave Durber

Hello everyone:

My ten-year-old wireless keyboard, like me,  is definetly getting knackered, and showing its age. Some of the keys are getting stiff when I depress them, and the on/off switch, does not work properly all the time.

I am looking for a wireless keyboard, which has 2 Windows keys, and has the 6-pack of keys between the main keyboard and the number pad. I am not that bothered if the keyboard does not have the additional keys for launching certain programs and for raising and lowering the volume, and muting the sound. Oh! yes! I am only interested in US style keyboards.

Thank you for any and all suggestions

Dave

Randy Barnett

First off do you want a mechanical or standard keyboard? I have both.The mechanical one I have is  a little light on the touch. I'd like it to be stiffer my standard Logitech keyboard isNice but Nice bud I would use The mechanical one more if the keys were a little stiffer.
 G skill mechanical keyboards are nice just make sure you get the stiffer keys. And of course logitech K-series are excellent. Both brands of keyboards have ones that do both Bluetooth and wireless with a little dongle.

Randy Barnett

On Sep 26, 2020, at 1:05 AM, Dave Durber <d.durber@...> wrote:

Hello everyone:

My ten-year-old wireless keyboard, like me,  is definetly getting knackered, and showing its age. Some of the keys are getting stiff when I depress them, and the on/off switch, does not work properly all the time.

I am looking for a wireless keyboard, which has 2 Windows keys, and has the 6-pack of keys between the main keyboard and the number pad. I am not that bothered if the keyboard does not have the additional keys for launching certain programs and for raising and lowering the volume, and muting the sound. Oh! yes! I am only interested in US style keyboards.

Thank you for any and all suggestions

Dave

Dave Durber

Randy:

I do not have a preference. The one I have at present, is a standard keyboard. It only has one Windows key. While it has an Applications key, it does not work with my HP Pavillion DV6 laptop, so I always need to use SHIFT+F10, to open the Applications menue. The set of keys between the main keyboard and the number pad, only has 5 keys, With the DELETE key being the size of the INSERT and DELETE keys, very inconvenient, especially if you need to use the insert key.

Dave

[...]

The only wireless keyboard I have ever had which has a working applicationb key as well as 2 Windows Keys is the Logitech G613 Mechanical gaming keyboard. It also has 6 keys down the left side (to the left of where tab, caps lock, shift and control are and the keyboard can be used either via a Bluetooth connection or a USB dongle. It is also called "Lightspeed" because if you use it with the USB dongle on a PC it bosts a 1 millisecond latency and it is in fact extremely responsive and for a PC I would never use it via Bluetooth. It is, however, nice if you have an iPhone or other smartphone, switching between Bluetooth and USB is done via a mechanical slider switch at the top and it is very convenient if you also want to use it with a smartphone or tablet.

I found that unfortunately the durability/reliability is a bit lacking, I had mine less than a year when Jaws sometimes was doing weird things like skipping key presses and so on and eventually I realized that it was the keyboard because when I connected one of my Das Keyboard mechanical wired keyboards the problem disappeared. The feel of the keyboard is OK although it's not my favourite and I much prefer the Blue switches of the Das Keyboard. At home I use a Logitech K780 which you can pair with up to 3 devices and this one also comes with a USB dongle, but it's not a mechanical keyboard and it does not have an application key or a Windows key on the right.

[...]

I have both of these Keyboards also And like Seagirt I thinkThe G 613 needs heavier springs under the buttons... The logitech K 780 is a great keyboard and it is my everyday keyboard. Until I got the G 613 I've never had a keyboard with two windows keys and application key so I don't miss them.

Randy Barnett