moderated strange problem when opening pdf files

John J. Fioravanti, Jr.

Good morning: In the past few days, when opening a pdf file on my laptop, it opens in Google Chrome and goes through the typical options when opening a pdf file while in Google Chrome, giving me options to print, download etc. How can I prevent this from happening so that the pdf file simply opens normally.

I don't know if the fact that I'm using Jaws 19, has anything to do with it, but that doesn't seem to be the problem.

Thanks.  

Richard Turner <richardturner42@...>

If by normally, you mean in Acrobat Reader, you need to go into the program default settings and set PDF’s to Acrobat.

Or, if you have a PDF on your computer, put focus on it, use the Applications key, or shift+f10, arrow down to Open With, and hit enter, then arrow to Adobe Acrobat, and tab to Always use this app to open PDF’s and check it and tab to OK and hit enter.

That should change the default to Adobe Acrobat, but if not, the Program Default settings by file type should solve it.

Richard

“Reality is the leading cause of stress for those who are in touch with it.” – Jane Wagner

My Web site: https://www.turner42.com

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of John J. Fioravanti, Jr.
Sent: Sunday, October 10, 2021 9:17 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: strange problem when opening pdf files

Good morning: In the past few days, when opening a pdf file on my laptop, it opens in Google Chrome and goes through the typical options when opening a pdf file while in Google Chrome, giving me options to print, download etc. How can I prevent this from happening so that the pdf file simply opens normally.

I don't know if the fact that I'm using Jaws 19, has anything to do with it, but that doesn't seem to be the problem.

Thanks.  

kevin meyers

Hi Richard,

I just installed Adobe Acrobat reader DC. During installation I set it as default. I pressed enter on a PDF file that is an attachment in an email. It open with no problem.

When the file opened, Jaws read with spaces between words and many words with no spaces between them.

Is there a way to stop this from happening?

Cheers,

Kevin

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Richard Turner
Sent: Sunday, October 10, 2021 11:26 AM
Subject: Re: strange problem when opening pdf files

If by normally, you mean in Acrobat Reader, you need to go into the program default settings and set PDF’s to Acrobat.

Or, if you have a PDF on your computer, put focus on it, use the Applications key, or shift+f10, arrow down to Open With, and hit enter, then arrow to Adobe Acrobat, and tab to Always use this app to open PDF’s and check it and tab to OK and hit enter.

That should change the default to Adobe Acrobat, but if not, the Program Default settings by file type should solve it.

Richard

“Reality is the leading cause of stress for those who are in touch with it.” – Jane Wagner

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of John J. Fioravanti, Jr.

Thanks.  

Bill White

Hi, Kevin. One thing I have found that changes the reading of a document somewhat is this, when you begin to process a document, often it will ask you how you want the document processed. The recommended method is Infer reading order from document (recommended)

If the document is not being read properly, try instead using,

Use reading order in raw print stream

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of kevin meyers
Sent: Monday, October 11, 2021 9:07 AM

Hi Richard,

I just installed Adobe Acrobat reader DC. During installation I set it as default. I pressed enter on a PDF file that is an attachment in an email. It open with no problem.

When the file opened, Jaws read with spaces between words and many words with no spaces between them.

Cheers,

Kevin

Richard

Thanks.  

Tom Behler

One other strategy I’ve used when a PDF doesn’t read properly is to convert the PDF document to a Word document, which is possible with the latest versions of Microsoft Office.

To do this, you first must save the document as a PDF file.

Then, open Word, and do a control F12 to get to the PDF converter.

Once in the converter, find and open the PDF you have just save.

Microsoft will indicate that the document is ready to be converted, and I just tab over to OK, and let the converter do its thing.

The main disadvantage of this method is that formatting may be lost, but at least it can make the original PDF more readable.

Tom Behler

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Bill White
Sent: Monday, October 11, 2021 12:51 PM

Hi, Kevin. One thing I have found that changes the reading of a document somewhat is this, when you begin to process a document, often it will ask you how you want the document processed. The recommended method is Infer reading order from document (recommended)

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Hi Richard,

Cheers,

Kevin

Richard

Thanks.  

Ben Moxey

Hi Kevin

The words with no spaces that you’re noticing is to do with the way the original file was created. Visually, the two words that JAWS is trying to read as one are probably located on different lines, but the author hasn’t used the correct spacing.

Use the JAWS OCR feature and you should be able to read the document effectively.

1. Press the JAWS key + Space.
  2. Press O for OCR.
  3. Press D for document.

Note that the ability to OCR a whole document only works for PDFs loaded in Adobe Reader DC.

All the best.

Ben

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of kevin meyers
Sent: Tuesday, 12 October 2021 3:07 AM

Hi Richard,

Cheers,

Kevin

Richard

Thanks.  

Bill White

Hi, Tom. Your way of reading pdf files by using the Word conversion feature is no more a disadvantage than the way I presented earlier. This is because, when you use the "Use reading order in raw print stream" option in Adobe Acrobat DC, formatting is lost anyway.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Tom Behler
Sent: Monday, October 11, 2021 10:50 AM

One other strategy I’ve used when a PDF doesn’t read properly is to convert the PDF document to a Word document, which is possible with the latest versions of Microsoft Office.

Microsoft will indicate that the document is ready to be converted, and I just tab over to OK, and let the converter do its thing.

The main disadvantage of this method is that formatting may be lost, but at least it can make the original PDF more readable.

Tom Behler

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Hi Richard,

Cheers,

Kevin

Richard

Thanks.  

Tom Behler

Bill:

I’ll have to try the raw print stream option here, and then compare it with the Microsoft Word conversion file.

If they turn out to be the same in terms of readability, then maybe the MS Word option isn’t as necessary as I originally thought.

Appreciate this suggestion.

Tom Behler

Sent: Monday, October 11, 2021 3:33 PM

Hi, Tom. Your way of reading pdf files by using the Word conversion feature is no more a disadvantage than the way I presented earlier. This is because, when you use the "Use reading order in raw print stream" option in Adobe Acrobat DC, formatting is lost anyway.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Tom Behler
Sent: Monday, October 11, 2021 10:50 AM

Tom Behler

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Hi Richard,

Cheers,

Kevin

Richard

Thanks.  

kevin meyers

Ben,

This didn’t work. There was very little text and a lot of numbers.

Who ever created this PDF probably did a lot of fancy formatting.

Kevin

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Ben Moxey
Sent: Monday, October 11, 2021 2:28 PM

Hi Kevin

The words with no spaces that you’re noticing is to do with the way the original file was created. Visually, the two words that JAWS is trying to read as one are probably located on different lines, but the author hasn’t used the correct spacing.

Use the JAWS OCR feature and you should be able to read the document effectively.

1. Press the JAWS key + Space.
  2. Press O for OCR.
  3. Press D for document.

Note that the ability to OCR a whole document only works for PDFs loaded in Adobe Reader DC.

All the best.

Ben

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of kevin meyers
Sent: Tuesday, 12 October 2021 3:07 AM

Hi Richard,

Cheers,

Kevin

Richard

Thanks.  

kevin meyers

Hi Tom, converting the PDF to a word file worked. Thanks!

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Tom Behler
Sent: Monday, October 11, 2021 12:50 PM

Tom Behler

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Hi Richard,

Cheers,

Kevin

Richard

Thanks.  

kevin meyers

Hi Bill, Use reading order in raw print stream worked. Converting the PDF to word worked. It just took longer to convert than Using reading order in raw print stream. Thanks, Kevin

Sent: Monday, October 11, 2021 11:51 AM

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Hi Richard,

Cheers,

Kevin

Richard

Thanks.