Topics

Strange behavior with Winamp

Bill White

Hi. I'm using Winamp version 5.66 with JAWS 2020. Occasionally, winamp will stop giving me the track number, title, and artist as I use the B command for next track, or the Z command for previous track. Once this happens, I have tried many things including,

1. Rebooting the computer.

2. Reinstalling Winamp.

3. Restarting JAWS.

4. Repairing JAWS.

Sometimes, for no apparent reason, Winamp, after exhibiting this behavior will suddenly begin voicing track number, title, and artist again.

Have other people experienced this behavior with Winamp, JAWS and Windows 10? If so, have you found any way to get JAWS to begin voicing track number, title, and artist again when it stops doing so?

Thank you.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

JM Casey

So you mean, JAWS speaks this info as soon as you hit z, b, or whatever?

I don’t think it’s ever really done that for me.

Which I mostly like – if I’m listening to music, dj-ing or whatever,  I don’t generally want JAWS to be speaking

Too. I was considering a second sound device so I could have audio players/software and screen-readers on totally separate systems but now that I mostly use braille, I’m not too bothered.

For feedback from winamp , usually if you just return to its window it will tell you its title. You can also get this by hitting insert-t, which reads the title bar that displays track name and artist.

If you want this info automatically spoken when you hit one of the bottom-letter-row control keys for the player – I’m not really sure what to tell you. It seems to me like not speaking that info is the norm and the other way would be the aberration, but that seems to be what you prefer and I don’t know what occasionally causes JAWS to speak that info after a keypress or how you can ensure that it continues to do so always.

Hi. I'm using Winamp version 5.66 with JAWS 2020. Occasionally, winamp will stop giving me the track number, title, and artist as I use the B command for next track, or the Z command for previous track. Once this happens, I have tried many things including,

1. Rebooting the computer.

2. Reinstalling Winamp.

3. Restarting JAWS.

4. Repairing JAWS.

Sometimes, for no apparent reason, Winamp, after exhibiting this behavior will suddenly begin voicing track number, title, and artist again.

Have other people experienced this behavior with Winamp, JAWS and Windows 10? If so, have you found any way to get JAWS to begin voicing track number, title, and artist again when it stops doing so?

Thank you.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Marty Hutchings

Have you made sure that you are in the play list editor page when you hit B or Z?  Control Tab will get you there.

Love in Christ
Marty

[...]

Hi, Marty. Yes, I'm in the play list editor page, and the tracks actually do change, and the new song begins playing when I press B or Z, JAWS just doesn't voice the title when the track changes.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

[...]

When I press B or Z, I get track and artist, not track number.  I think that it has a lot to do with how you have your tracks labeled or the metadata that is associated with each track.  I am using the latest JAWS with Windows 7 and the Winamp 5.66 or the last available version and have not experienced what you describe here.  Is Winamp maximized every time?  Does this happen with all playlists?

Love in Christ
Marty

[...]

Z and b to move back and forth through tracks in a playlist will work, regardless of whether you are in the playlist editor or not. But JAWS won’t automatically announce track titles when invoking these commands for me, no matter what I do.

I’m actaully wondering now if this has something to do with the position or size of the winamp window. Perhaps if the window is minimised, it has another way of conveying track information that is automatically spoken by jaws?

Because the way it’s acting fo rme now, not speaking, seems like normal behaviour.

[...]

JAWS has always announced the song title and artist for me.  I run JAWS through my internal sound card and my Windows sounds and music through my Sound Blaster Live card to my stereo.

Love in Christ
Marty

[...]

Never has for me except in weird circumstances/occasions possibly, wehre the behaviour would stand out as abnormal 9as it’s not what I generally experience at all).

Not sure if the script is advanced enough to detect whether a secondary soundcard is in use. I would think not. I personally have never had one (everything comes from my onboard audio at this point; from various Creative Labs cards in the past)…

I’m not complaining; I actually like this behaviour, just interesting that our experiences are apparently quite different.