Topics

moderated start page and google chrome

Kimsan <kimsansong@...>

Hi folks,

I’ve looked under settings while in google chrome, let me see which version of chrome I’m using.

Ok, it says 80.o.9.3 or something like that.

When I launch chrome it says new tab, and I cannot seem to locate to have it go straight to my home page. Once more I went under settings, went all the way and checked the box where it states open a specific page or set of pages.

I’m still presented with the new tab thing when launching chrome and need to do alt home to get to the home page.

Thank you,

Please consider purchasing my first single or streaming it via the below links:

https://music.apple.com/us/album/to-whom-this-may-concern-single/1497201383?app=itunes&ign-mpt=uo%3D4

https://open.spotify.com/album/5korQlO82EeGT4qdJ65Pa6

https://play.google.com/store/music/album/Anomaly_To_Whom_This_May_Concern?id=Bxzxk5brhsmrltglj3sa6qzmgq4

george b

You need to  find the place where it lets you open with the new tab being your home page.  I cannot remember where to find it since I use edge now.

Hay I got an idea google it…

I’ve looked under settings while in google chrome, let me see which version of chrome I’m using.

Ok, it says 80.o.9.3 or something like that.

When I launch chrome it says new tab, and I cannot seem to locate to have it go straight to my home page. Once more I went under settings, went all the way and checked the box where it states open a specific page or set of pages.

I’m still presented with the new tab thing when launching chrome and need to do alt home to get to the home page.

Thank you,

Please consider purchasing my first single or streaming it via the below links:

https://music.apple.com/us/album/to-whom-this-may-concern-single/1497201383?app=itunes&ign-mpt=uo%3D4

https://open.spotify.com/album/5korQlO82EeGT4qdJ65Pa6

https://play.google.com/store/music/album/Anomaly_To_Whom_This_May_Concern?id=Bxzxk5brhsmrltglj3sa6qzmgq4

Actually after you check that you want a specific page to open you have to add the URL of that page otherwise how would it know which page you want.

[...]

A post I made on the Windows 10 for Screen Reader User's Group:  Chromium-based Edge: Setting Home Page, Default Opening Page(s), and Search Engine

The Google Chrome browser and Chromium-based Edge have precisely the same "On Startup" pane, so if you navigate to same in Chrome settings everything else is the same.

        ~ Joshua Liebman

Kimsan <kimsansong@...>

Defeats the purpose of a mailing list, if “google it” is always the answer.

Best regards,

Kimsan Song

kimsansong@...

[...]

If I didn’t mention it, the URL is and has been there.

Best regards,

Kimsan Song

kimsansong@...

On Fri, Feb 14, 2020 at 10:58 AM, Kimsan wrote:
Defeats the purpose of a mailing list, if “google it” is always the answer.
A web search for an answer is something that should always be done before even considering turning to a mailing list, which imposes on the time of hundreds of individuals.  Far too few even bother.  More's the pity.

        ~ Joshua Liebman

Kimsan <kimsansong@...>

I’m good bro.

So with the below, although I did not state it, you think I didn’t perform a google search before coming here?

I get it, exhaust all resources before turning to a mailing list, but why can’t we just be helpful.

Best regards,

Kimsan Song

kimsansong@...

On Fri, Feb 14, 2020 at 10:58 AM, Kimsan wrote:

Defeats the purpose of a mailing list, if “google it” is always the answer.

A web search for an answer is something that should always be done before even considering turning to a mailing list, which imposes on the time of hundreds of individuals.  Far too few even bother.  More's the pity.

        ~ Joshua Liebman

Glenn / Lenny

Also, when you Google something, or web search something to be more precise, the answers you get will be from a list archive, just like this one.
So if it hasn't been asked yet, and gets properly answered, the answer will be found from a web search in the future.
That is why subject lines are so important, like this one, is a pretty good subject line, I think Home page in Chrome would have been a bit better, and therefore easier found with a web search.

Glenn

On Fri, Feb 14, 2020 at 01:09 PM, Kimsan wrote:
although I did not state it, you think I didn’t perform a google search before coming here?
I said nothing, not one thing, about you.

It is abundantly obvious in many, many, many cases that not a finger has been lifted prior to posting to lists, and that, "Perhaps you should consider a web search, first," is an appropriate, and overdue, response.

You're the one who stated, "Defeats the purpose of a mailing list, if 'google it' is always the answer."   That's what I was responding to, as had many questioners spent two seconds web searching and/or searching the group archive they'd have their answer a thousand times over.  That needs to happen more often, not less.

        ~ Joshua Liebman

Cynthia Bruce

The invitation looks great to me. A question though, is it just the admissions committee inviting them, or is it the school of education and therefore perhaps a signature from Janet?

On Feb 14, 2020, at 2:54 PM, Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:

On Fri, Feb 14, 2020 at 01:09 PM, Kimsan wrote:
although I did not state it, you think I didn’t perform a google search before coming here?
I said nothing, not one thing, about you.

It is abundantly obvious in many, many, many cases that not a finger has been lifted prior to posting to lists, and that, "Perhaps you should consider a web search, first," is an appropriate, and overdue, response.

You're the one who stated, "Defeats the purpose of a mailing list, if 'google it' is always the answer."   That's what I was responding to, as had many questioners spent two seconds web searching and/or searching the group archive they'd have their answer a thousand times over.  That needs to happen more often, not less.

        ~ Joshua Liebman

Cynthia Bruce

My sincere apologies, somehow my iPhone helped me reply to the wrong message!

On Feb 14, 2020, at 3:00 PM, Cynthia Bruce <cynthia.bruce@...> wrote:

[...]

LOL,
I was trying to figure it out, wondering if it was extreme sarcasm.
Glenn

[...]

Research with a web search engine is so important to people, and especially us who otherwise have no access to print.
I wonder things all the time, and I am always doing searches.
I'll be watching TV for example, and I get a thought from something I am watching, and I do a search.
Also, I maintain that it is next to impossible to do your own software repair without another computer in the home, because if one can't get on-line with one computer, for whatever reason, you can use the other one to research what might be wrong with the one that isn't working.
I can't imagine having my home page being anything other than my particular search engine.
Also, a  good subject line to a list like this one, is a reflection of what one would do a web search for an answer.
I think many people don't bother to learn the basics of using a web page, even for simple web searches.
I have found that sometimes I have a hard time coming up with the best terms to use in my searches, and I find that as I read the closest results that I found, I can refine my search terms to get even better results.
That is why the Surf's Up link on the FS Jaws training page would help take the fear of using web pages away.

Glenn