Topics

moderated Spell Check Sluggish in Office 2016 and 2013

Barbara Sheinbein

Hi Everyone,

I have 2 computers one has Office 2016 and the second has Office 2013.  I mostly use Word and outlook.  When I use the spell check , most, but not all the time the spell check dialogue is sluggish.

I have the latest version of JAWS 2020 installed.  I have windows 10 on both computers.

This occurs in both Office programs I mentioned earlier.  Alt-tab away from the window and returning back does not solve anything.  Sometimes if I close JAWS and launch it again, it does help.  It does not seem to matter if I have other programs open as well or not.  Any ideas on how to resolve this?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Barbara

Richard Turner

I’ve not experienced this.

Have you closed everything and rebooted?

Richard

I have 2 computers one has Office 2016 and the second has Office 2013.  I mostly use Word and outlook.  When I use the spell check , most, but not all the time the spell check dialogue is sluggish.

I have the latest version of JAWS 2020 installed.  I have windows 10 on both computers.

This occurs in both Office programs I mentioned earlier.  Alt-tab away from the window and returning back does not solve anything.  Sometimes if I close JAWS and launch it again, it does help.  It does not seem to matter if I have other programs open as well or not.  Any ideas on how to resolve this?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Barbara

Barbara Sheinbein

Yes and it does not make any difference.  This has been going on for a while.  I cannot recall when it first began.  I have had a lot of things going on in my life plus what is going on in our country of course.  I just do not recall when it began, but it has been a while.

Barbara

Have you closed everything and rebooted?

Richard

I have 2 computers one has Office 2016 and the second has Office 2013.  I mostly use Word and outlook.  When I use the spell check , most, but not all the time the spell check dialogue is sluggish.

I have the latest version of JAWS 2020 installed.  I have windows 10 on both computers.

This occurs in both Office programs I mentioned earlier.  Alt-tab away from the window and returning back does not solve anything.  Sometimes if I close JAWS and launch it again, it does help.  It does not seem to matter if I have other programs open as well or not.  Any ideas on how to resolve this?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Barbara

Adrian Spratt

Barbara,

I haven’t had this experience with Word or Outlook 2016. I have noticed that in Outlook only, spell-check will seem to stop suddenly. However, if I tab once, the dialog for the next spelling suggestion appears, telling me that JAWS simply hasn’t kept up with the spell-checker.

I wonder if you’ve tried a JAWS repair. If you’re unfamiliar with this procedure, please post again. It’s easy. Actually, so is a Microsoft Office repair. I’ve done both when one or the other starts misbehaving, sometimes with good results.

[...]

Jim Rawls

You aren't alone. I have the same issues as you. Jim

I have 2 computers one has Office 2016 and the second has Office 2013.  I mostly use Word and outlook.  When I use the spell check , most, but not all the time the spell check dialogue is sluggish.

I have the latest version of JAWS 2020 installed.  I have windows 10 on both computers.

This occurs in both Office programs I mentioned earlier.  Alt-tab away from the window and returning back does not solve anything.  Sometimes if I close JAWS and launch it again, it does help.  It does not seem to matter if I have other programs open as well or not.  Any ideas on how to resolve this?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Barbara

Barbara Sheinbein

Well both are worth a try.  How do I perform both types of repairs?

Thanks.

[...]

For a JAWS repair, you need the file for the version and release that you’re running. Assuming you have it, press enter on it. After a few moments, JAWS will indicate it’s ready to perform the repair. Press enter and sit back. When the repair is done, you’ll probably have to reboot.

If you don’t have that file, you’ll need to obtain it from the FS website. Or else download the file with the latest release of the version you‘re running, install it, and then do a repair from that file.

Note. A JAWS repair always takes at least a few minutes. It can take longer. You’ll be given percentage progress reports. Occasionally, it will come to an end only to announce that the operation was unsuccessful. Typically, running the repair a second time leads to positive results.

A Microsoft Office repair is similar, except you don’t need the file. In this case, start typing “programs” into your Windows search field. Probably the first item that comes up will be “Add or remove programs.” Press enter. Press the letter m until you land on Microsoft Office. Here, instead of pressing enter, press the applications key and arrow up or down to “change.” Press enter. The “repair” option will appear and you’ll be asked to confirm. There’ll be an announcement when the repair is complete, and you’ll be told to reboot.

[...]

kevin meyers

This occurs to me on a ramdom basis and only in Outlook.