Topics

moderated Specs for a new desktop computer

Ralph Supernaw

It’s looking like I will be searching for a new desktop computer.  I have not been able to figure out what makes the most difference in the speed or snappiness of the computer when using Jaws with typical applications.  So, I’d appreciate any information you techy types can pass along.

I know Ram makes a big difference.  What I don’t know is how much RAM is helpful and how much is overkill.

How much difference does multiple thread processing make?  How many threads are a good number to shoot for?

How much difference does an SSD drive make?  If they make a significant difference in speed, what files should be on them?

Being totally blind I don’t need a fancy display.  But, does a better video card affect the speed of the computer?

Are there other ways to increase the speed of the computer?

Thanks.

Chris Hill

Solid state drive and a decent processor. 

On Aug 18, 2020, at 09:16, Ralph Supernaw via groups.io <rhs@...> wrote:

It’s looking like I will be searching for a new desktop computer.  I have not been able to figure out what makes the most difference in the speed or snappiness of the computer when using Jaws with typical applications.  So, I’d appreciate any information you techy types can pass along.

I know Ram makes a big difference.  What I don’t know is how much RAM is helpful and how much is overkill.

How much difference does multiple thread processing make?  How many threads are a good number to shoot for?

How much difference does an SSD drive make?  If they make a significant difference in speed, what files should be on them?

Being totally blind I don’t need a fancy display.  But, does a better video card affect the speed of the computer?

Thanks.

Richard B. McDonald

Hi Ralph!

The most important things for speed are 1) RAM and 2) an SSD.  Of course, a decent microprocessor is important as well; but anything equal to or greater than an Intel P5 are more than adequate - unless you are doing a lot of video editing.  Recently, I got a Lenovo P330 with 16 GB of RAM, a 1 TB SSD and a P5 processor.  The one I got is the “mini tower” form factor.  I like the Lenovo because of its reliability.  Less than 8 GB of RAM is underpowered, more than 16 GB of RAM is overkill.  As for a hard drive, you can probably get away with 500 GB, but 1 TB provides for many years of growth.  An SSD is far better than a HDD both in terms of speed and reliability.  This PC ought to take me many years down the road.

Nowadays, I see a lot of people doing things like putting their OS (Windows) on an SSD, and then all their apps and data files on a HDD; both drives being in their PC.  Yes, it does yield an uptick in speed.  However, we are talking about nanoseconds.  And, it is sort of tricky to setup, and may be a little less reliable (or at least not more).  For anyone other than an egghead, all that is overkill

HTH,

Richard

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Ralph Supernaw via groups.io
Sent: Tuesday, August 18, 2020 7:16 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Specs for a new desktop computer

Thanks.

Mario

I can only make suggestions as 8 GB of RAM is a good amount to start with unless you intend to do intensive tasks. more RAM increases the number of programs that can be running simultaneously. and I think there is a small performance hit the more RAM the computer has. I'm not clear on the role that the specifications have on the snappiness like the type, timings and other specs. .

opting for an SSD will make access to storage of files snappy especially at boot up time. it also has a longer life span since there aren't any moving parts unlike a traditional spinning platter HD. and don't forget that an SSD runs cool and produces no vibration.
I'd suggest no less than 240 GB unless you can afford to pay for 500 GB (of course, this depends if you like to try alot of programs, tinker around with the unknown, or play it safe and stick with a minimal set of programs that work for you), and that the SSD be dedicated to run Windows and programs. a seperate HD can be used for storing documents, video and music; the stuff you can't replace if something happens to the SSD. it would also be advisable to make a (preferrably 1to1) backup on an external HD, and you may even consider to backup online just to be extra safe if restoring from the external HD should fail for some reason.

having a seperate video card will only relieve the amount of RAM that is used to display text and pictures written to the monitor. I don't know if there is any other benefit.

I'd like to hear about the other things you inquired about from those who know and can "do tell".

-------- Original Message --------
From: Ralph Supernaw via groups.io [mailto:rhs=startmail.com@groups.io]
To: <main@jfw.groups.io>
Date: Tuesday, August 18, 2020, 10:15 AM
It’s looking like I will be searching for a new desktop computer.  I
have not been able to figure out what makes the most difference in the
speed or snappiness of the computer when using Jaws with typical
applications.  So, I’d appreciate any information you techy types can
pass along.

I know Ram makes a big difference.  What I don’t know is how much RAM is
helpful and how much is overkill.

How much difference does multiple thread processing make?  How many
threads are a good number to shoot for?

How much difference does an SSD drive make?  If they make a significant
difference in speed, what files should be on them?

Being totally blind I don’t need a fancy display.  But, does a better
video card affect the speed of the computer?

Thanks.

Glenn / Lenny

I believe that the one thing that will increase computer speed is the hard
drive, and you want read/write speeds up around 1 gig per second
You will want a PCIE Gen 4 compatible motherboard and a PCIE SSD.
That is really the bottleneck these days, if you want speed.
Here's a video that talks about this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URt_5ryS37A
Glenn

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, August 18, 2020 10:51 AM
Subject: Re: Specs for a new desktop computer

I can only make suggestions as 8 GB of RAM is a good amount to start
with unless you intend to do intensive tasks. more RAM increases the
number of programs that can be running simultaneously. and I think there
is a small performance hit the more RAM the computer has. I'm not clear
on the role that the specifications have on the snappiness like the
type, timings and other specs. .

opting for an SSD will make access to storage of files snappy especially
at boot up time. it also has a longer life span since there aren't any
moving parts unlike a traditional spinning platter HD. and don't forget
that an SSD runs cool and produces no vibration.
I'd suggest no less than 240 GB unless you can afford to pay for 500 GB
(of course, this depends if you like to try alot of programs, tinker
around with the unknown, or play it safe and stick with a minimal set of
programs that work for you), and that the SSD be dedicated to run
Windows and programs. a seperate HD can be used for storing documents,
video and music; the stuff you can't replace if something happens to the
SSD. it would also be advisable to make a (preferrably 1to1) backup on
an external HD, and you may even consider to backup online just to be
extra safe if restoring from the external HD should fail for some reason.

having a seperate video card will only relieve the amount of RAM that is
used to display text and pictures written to the monitor. I don't know
if there is any other benefit.

I'd like to hear about the other things you inquired about from those
who know and can "do tell".

It’s looking like I will be searching for a new desktop computer. I
applications. So, I’d appreciate any information you techy types can
pass along.

I know Ram makes a big difference. What I don’t know is how much RAM is

How much difference does multiple thread processing make? How many

How much difference does an SSD drive make? If they make a significant

Being totally blind I don’t need a fancy display. But, does a better

Thanks.

Chris Hill

From what I've dealt with, I'd say that four cores is a decent way to go, unless you're doing a ton of multitasking, more than that is likely overkill.  I've checked my system, and I seldom find it using more than 8 of my 16gb of ram.  I'm seldom using more than a web browser, k1000 and maybe word and an email program at the same time, and that is a heavy use case for me.  If you're programming or something, you might use more.  I also have a separate video card, so that may explain the low ram usage as well.  If money were any kind of issue for a blind user, I'd suggest forgetting the video card and getting extra ram only if you tend to keep a lot of stuff open at one time.

CH

On 8/18/2020 10:51, Mario wrote:
I can only make suggestions as 8 GB of RAM is a good amount to start with unless you intend to do intensive tasks. more RAM increases the number of programs that can be running simultaneously. and I think there is a small performance hit the more RAM the computer has. I'm not clear on the role that the specifications have on the snappiness like the type, timings and other specs. .

opting for an SSD will make access to storage of files snappy especially at boot up time. it also has a longer life span since there aren't any moving parts unlike a traditional spinning platter HD. and don't forget that an SSD runs cool and produces no vibration.
I'd suggest no less than 240 GB unless you can afford to pay for 500 GB (of course, this depends if you like to try alot of programs, tinker around with the unknown, or play it safe and stick with a minimal set of programs that work for you), and that the SSD be dedicated to run Windows and programs. a seperate HD can be used for storing documents, video and music; the stuff you can't replace if something happens to the SSD. it would also be advisable to make a (preferrably 1to1) backup on an external HD, and you may even consider to backup online just to be extra safe if restoring from the external HD should fail for some reason.

having a seperate video card will only relieve the amount of RAM that is used to display text and pictures written to the monitor. I don't know if there is any other benefit.

I'd like to hear about the other things you inquired about from those who know and can "do tell".

pass along.

Thanks.

Tony

This might have been useful for someone who can see but, 40 graphs flashing on the screen are a waste of time for many on this list.

Tony

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Glenn / Lenny
Sent: Tuesday, August 18, 2020 11:45 AM

I believe that the one thing that will increase computer speed is the hard drive, and you want read/write speeds up around 1 gig per second You will want a PCIE Gen 4 compatible motherboard and a PCIE SSD.
Glenn

I'd suggest no less than 240 GB unless you can afford to pay for 500 GB (of course, this depends if you like to try a lot of programs, tinker around with the unknown, or play it safe and stick with a minimal set of programs that work for you), and that the SSD be dedicated to run Windows and programs. a separate HD can be used for storing documents, video and music; the stuff you can't replace if something happens to the SSD. it would also be advisable to make a (preferrably 1to1) backup on an external HD, and you may even consider to backup online just to be extra safe if restoring from the external HD should fail for some reason.

Subject: Specs for a new desktop computer It’s looking like I will be searching for a new desktop computer. I have not been able to figure out what makes the most difference in the speed or snappiness of the computer when using Jaws with typical applications. So, I’d appreciate any information you techy types can pass along.

I know Ram makes a big difference. What I don’t know is how much RAM is helpful and how much is overkill.

How much difference does multiple thread processing make? How many threads are a good number to shoot for?

How much difference does an SSD drive make? If they make a significant difference in speed, what files should be on them?

Being totally blind I don’t need a fancy display. But, does a better video card affect the speed of the computer?

Thanks.

Abraham Sweiss

Here is my 

2 cents.

Du not buy a computer for what your needs are  now but for the possible needs in 5 years.

My current desktop was purchased in 2013.  I paid for the SSD drive and a 1 tb hard disk.  And the newest motherboard  chip set along with as much ram as I could get.    And also got Windows 7 pro.  This way I can future proof my computer and so far it has been working great and have been able to upgrade to win 10 with no  issues.  And looking at the new low cost lap tops and desktops, mine seems to perform better then the new ones.  And as long as there are no catastrophic failures  expect this desktop will last another 7 years.

And lets not forget the desktop I have sitting next to it which  I had build when Windows XP was released.  Think at least 20 years old and still running great.  Only reason had to get new desktop was it did not support Windows 7.

In short make the investment now to get best of breed hardware to ensure a long life for your desktop.  And find a distributor which will build it from scratch

Thanks, Abraham            

Sent: Tuesday, August 18, 2020 1:35 PM

From what I've dealt with, I'd say that four cores is a decent way to

go, unless you're doing a ton of multitasking, more than that is likely

overkill.  I've checked my system, and I seldom find it using more than

8 of my 16gb of ram.  I'm seldom using more than a web browser, k1000

and maybe word and an email program at the same time, and that is a

heavy use case for me.  If you're programming or something, you might

use more.  I also have a separate video card, so that may explain the

low ram usage as well.  If money were any kind of issue for a blind

user, I'd suggest forgetting the video card and getting extra ram only

if you tend to keep a lot of stuff open at one time.

CH

> I can only make suggestions as 8 GB of RAM is a good amount to start

> with unless you intend to do intensive tasks. more RAM increases the

> number of programs that can be running simultaneously. and I think

> there is a small performance hit the more RAM the computer has. I'm

> not clear on the role that the specifications have on the snappiness

> like the type, timings and other specs. .

> opting for an SSD will make access to storage of files snappy

> especially at boot up time. it also has a longer life span since there

> aren't any moving parts unlike a traditional spinning platter HD. and

> don't forget that an SSD runs cool and produces no vibration.

> I'd suggest no less than 240 GB unless you can afford to pay for 500

> GB (of course, this depends if you like to try alot of programs,

> tinker around with the unknown, or play it safe and stick with a

> minimal set of programs that work for you), and that the SSD be

> dedicated to run Windows and programs. a seperate HD can be used for

> storing documents, video and music; the stuff you can't replace if

> something happens to the SSD. it would also be advisable to make a

> (preferrably 1to1) backup on an external HD, and you may even consider

> to backup online just to be extra safe if restoring from the external

> HD should fail for some reason.

> having a seperate video card will only relieve the amount of RAM that

> is used to display text and pictures written to the monitor. I don't

> know if there is any other benefit.

> I'd like to hear about the other things you inquired about from those

> who know and can "do tell".

> -------- Original Message --------

> From: Ralph Supernaw via groups.io [mailto:rhs@...]

> To: <main@jfw.groups.io>

> Date: Tuesday, August 18, 2020, 10:15 AM

> Subject: Specs for a new desktop computer

> It’s looking like I will be searching for a new desktop computer. I

> have not been able to figure out what makes the most difference in the

> speed or snappiness of the computer when using Jaws with typical

> applications.  So, I’d appreciate any information you techy types can

> pass along.

> I know Ram makes a big difference.  What I don’t know is how much RAM is

> helpful and how much is overkill.

> How much difference does multiple thread processing make?  How many

> threads are a good number to shoot for?

> How much difference does an SSD drive make?  If they make a significant

> difference in speed, what files should be on them?

> Being totally blind I don’t need a fancy display.  But, does a better

> video card affect the speed of the computer?

> Are there other ways to increase the speed of the computer?

> Thanks.

>

Kelly Pierce

Choose your computer around the processor. Definitely get an i7 or
similar. I did the same as Abraham in 2013. I bought a dell computer
with the best i7 processor, 24 gigs of Ram, a 256 GB solid state drive
and a one tb rotating hard drive. It came with Windows 8.1 and was
easily upgraded this year to Windows 10. The only repair needed was
the replacement of the CD/DVD drive. It is likely to easily last
another 7 and not become outdated. Yes, it was a little pricy when I
bought it, but the price was significantly less than list because it
was the store display model.

Kelly

On 8/18/20, Abraham Sweiss <abrahamsweiss8@...> wrote:
Here is my

2 cents.

Du not buy a computer for what your needs are  now but for the possible
needs in 5 years.

My current desktop was purchased in 2013.  I paid for the SSD drive and a 1
tb hard disk.  And the newest motherboard  chip set along with as much ram
as I could get.    And also got Windows 7 pro.  This way I can future proof
my computer and so far it has been working great and have been able to
upgrade to win 10 with no  issues.  And looking at the new low cost lap tops
and desktops, mine seems to perform better then the new ones.  And as long
as there are no catastrophic failures  expect this desktop will last another
7 years.

And lets not forget the desktop I have sitting next to it which  I had build
when Windows XP was released.  Think at least 20 years old and still running
great.  Only reason had to get new desktop was it did not support Windows 7.

In short make the investment now to get best of breed hardware to ensure a
long life for your desktop.  And find a distributor which will build it from
scratch

Thanks, Abraham

Sent: Tuesday, August 18, 2020 1:35 PM

From what I've dealt with, I'd say that four cores is a decent way to

go, unless you're doing a ton of multitasking, more than that is likely

overkill.  I've checked my system, and I seldom find it using more than

8 of my 16gb of ram.  I'm seldom using more than a web browser, k1000

and maybe word and an email program at the same time, and that is a

heavy use case for me.  If you're programming or something, you might

use more.  I also have a separate video card, so that may explain the

low ram usage as well.  If money were any kind of issue for a blind

user, I'd suggest forgetting the video card and getting extra ram only

if you tend to keep a lot of stuff open at one time.

CH

number of programs that can be running simultaneously. and I think
there is a small performance hit the more RAM the computer has. I'm
not clear on the role that the specifications have on the snappiness
like the type, timings and other specs. .
opting for an SSD will make access to storage of files snappy
especially at boot up time. it also has a longer life span since there
aren't any moving parts unlike a traditional spinning platter HD. and
don't forget that an SSD runs cool and produces no vibration.
I'd suggest no less than 240 GB unless you can afford to pay for 500
GB (of course, this depends if you like to try alot of programs,
tinker around with the unknown, or play it safe and stick with a
minimal set of programs that work for you), and that the SSD be
dedicated to run Windows and programs. a seperate HD can be used for
storing documents, video and music; the stuff you can't replace if
something happens to the SSD. it would also be advisable to make a
(preferrably 1to1) backup on an external HD, and you may even consider
to backup online just to be extra safe if restoring from the external
HD should fail for some reason.
having a seperate video card will only relieve the amount of RAM that
is used to display text and pictures written to the monitor. I don't
know if there is any other benefit.
pass along.
Thanks.

Randy Barnett

I have a Dell XPS 8930 it's a little pricey but the performance is excellent 16 GB of RAM into PCI solid-state drive I five processor I seven is only needed if you do video editing or video games.

Randy Barnett

On Aug 18, 2020, at 7:16 AM, Ralph Supernaw via groups.io <rhs@...> wrote:

Thanks.

Chris Hill

I pretty much agree with you on that.  Another thing: I wouldn't expect to get more than eight or ten years out of a computer no matter what I paid.  My last machine went through a power supply and was well on its way to a main board before I just got tired of dealing with it.  I'm pretty sure I'd have had a time finding a main board for a six year old Gateway, so I just bought myself a nice shiny new one, and moved on.

On 8/18/2020 16:56, Randy Barnett wrote:
I have a Dell XPS 8930 it's a little pricey but the performance is excellent 16 GB of RAM into PCI solid-state drive I five processor I seven is only needed if you do video editing or video games.

Randy Barnett

On Aug 18, 2020, at 7:16 AM, Ralph Supernaw via groups.io <rhs@...> wrote:

Thanks.

Dave Durber

Ralph:

I am also going to upgrade our computers very soon, although in the case of our systems, I will only need to replace the motherboards and the central processing units (CPU(s)). The type of motherboards, will depend upon whether I choose the Intel I7 or, the AMD equivalent. I will probably remove the CD/DVD drives, when I upgrade the systems, as I recently purchased a USB external CD/DVD drive. The systems in our home, have the following drive configuration:

2 120 GB SSD drives, and at least 1 HDD drive for storing data. 1 of the SSD drives is the system drive, which only holds the operating system and any programs which are currently installed on them, and nothing else. At present, all the system drives indicate that the total amount being used on each system drive, is about 40 GB.

the second SSD drive, which is drive F: in all the systems, holds the following folders, which have been moved from the system drive to drive F:, Contacts; Documents; Downloads; Favourites; Dropbox; and the folders used by the preferred email client. In addition: Music;  Pictures; Saved Games; Searches; Videos; can also be moved to drive f:. Unfortunately, in Windows 10, there does not seem to be a way of moving: Microsoft Edge Backups; One Drive; or the Public folder; from the system drive to drive F:. I do not use Microsoft Edge or One Drive, however, I would have liked to have been able to move the Public folder to drive F:, as I was able to do in Windows 7. Lastly, drive F: can be used to store the Windows pagefile.sys file

By moving the abovementioned folders to drive F, and not using the system drive for storing miscellaneous data, it means that when I use Image for Windows to create image backups of the system drive, I do not have to worry about losing up-to-date important data, if I need to restore an image to the system drive in the future. This would also apply, if I were to use other imaging software.

The HDD drive, I use to store any other form of data.

HTH

Sent: Tuesday, 18 August, 2020 3:15 PM

Thanks.

David Ingram

Hi, the speed of the drives  are important just the same for the speed of the ram that you plan to buy.  If you go to a place that has systems, make sure that when it comes to the ram, that you get the fastest ram for the system.  another thing to think about is do you plan to buy new speakers for your system, if so, make sure that you test them with the screen reader you're using.

Sent: Aug 19, 2020 6:36 AM

Ralph:

I am also going to upgrade our computers very soon, although in the case of our systems, I will only need to replace the motherboards and the central processing units (CPU(s)). The type of motherboards, will depend upon whether I choose the Intel I7 or, the AMD equivalent. I will probably remove the CD/DVD drives, when I upgrade the systems, as I recently purchased a USB external CD/DVD drive. The systems in our home, have the following drive configuration:

2 120 GB SSD drives, and at least 1 HDD drive for storing data. 1 of the SSD drives is the system drive, which only holds the operating system and any programs which are currently installed on them, and nothing else. At present, all the system drives indicate that the total amount being used on each system drive, is about 40 GB.

the second SSD drive, which is drive F: in all the systems, holds the following folders, which have been moved from the system drive to drive F:, Contacts; Documents; Downloads; Favourites; Dropbox; and the folders used by the preferred email client. In addition: Music;  Pictures; Saved Games; Searches; Videos; can also be moved to drive f:. Unfortunately, in Windows 10, there does not seem to be a way of moving: Microsoft Edge Backups; One Drive; or the Public folder; from the system drive to drive F:. I do not use Microsoft Edge or One Drive, however, I would have liked to have been able to move the Public folder to drive F:, as I was able to do in Windows 7. Lastly, drive F: can be used to store the Windows pagefile.sys file

By moving the abovementioned folders to drive F, and not using the system drive for storing miscellaneous data, it means that when I use Image for Windows to create image backups of the system drive, I do not have to worry about losing up-to-date important data, if I need to restore an image to the system drive in the future. This would also apply, if I were to use other imaging software.

HTH

Thanks.

David Ingram

Are the systems to small for a 1tb os disk?  What about memory how are they in terms of memory and is the memory the fastest for the motherboard?  I recently baught a dellxsp system that is a good system that has an i7 processor in it with 2 hard drives.  1 of the drives is a 4tb drive but I'll have to check the speed.  I think that the os is a ssd drive but i'll check that just to make sure that it is fast as well.  I do have some questions as to how can I get extra software off of the drive that I didn't ask for?  Thank you for any information that you might have concerning my questions.

Sent: Aug 19, 2020 6:36 AM

Ralph:

HTH

Thanks.

David Ingram

Where can you find drives with that read write speed and how much do these drives costs? Also what about the cache size doesn't that have something to do with things as well? I could never seem to find a hard drive whether internal or external that would meet those requirements. What size hard drive would that have to be in order to meet all of those requirements.? Thank you for any information that you might have to answer these questions.

Sent: Aug 18, 2020 11:44 AM

Glenn

pass along.

Thanks.

Glenn / Lenny

The cache size will always help, and I always buy things like this on
Amazon.com.
When I did a search for fastest drives, I found a lot of articles, and they
usually give a link to a product in their reviews and often those links are
for Amazon.com.
That is one way they make money with their reviews of products.
Glenn

Sent: Saturday, August 29, 2020 7:18 AM

Where can you find drives with that read write speed and how much do these
drives costs? Also what about the cache size doesn't that have something to
do with things as well? I could never seem to find a hard drive whether
internal or external that would meet those requirements. What size hard
drive would that have to be in order to meet all of those requirements.?
Thank you for any information that you might have to answer these questions.

Glenn

pass along.

Thanks.

David Ingram

Hi glen, what hard drive was able to give you the speed of 1gb per second? I have to ask about drives that you say are that fast. The next question is how much are these types of drives? I couldn't seem to be able to find these anywhere. What did you do different, may be I need to do that too. Thank you for any information that you might have on these drive speeds as well as cache size.

Sent: Aug 29, 2020 12:02 PM

Amazon.com.
for Amazon.com.
Glenn

Glenn

pass along.

Thanks.

Glenn / Lenny

Hi,
I don't have a computer that will deliver that speed.
For eMail and Internet searching, one does not need that kind of speed.
I found the youtube link and other pages discussing HD speed, and to get to
that speed, you will need a PCI style HD and a motherboard that can do that
sort of HD.
I merely offered information I found on a quick web search.

Glenn

Sent: Saturday, August 29, 2020 12:09 PM

Hi glen, what hard drive was able to give you the speed of 1gb per second?
I have to ask about drives that you say are that fast. The next question is
how much are these types of drives? I couldn't seem to be able to find
these anywhere. What did you do different, may be I need to do that too.
Thank you for any information that you might have on these drive speeds as
well as cache size.

Amazon.com.
for Amazon.com.
Glenn

drives costs? Also what about the cache size doesn't that have something
to
Thank you for any information that you might have to answer these
questions.

Glenn

pass along.

Thanks.

Randy Barnett

I have a Samsung Pro 960 M2 NVME SSD that does 2.5GBs. You need to go to the NVME spec for these speeds It runs on the PCI Express Bus. Just like the video card. the interface uses 4 PCE Express channels and can handle up to 30GBs. Of course right now there aren't any SSDs that fast but someday they will be.

On 8/29/2020 10:09 AM, David Ingram wrote:
Hi glen, what hard drive was able to give you the speed of 1gb per second? I have to ask about drives that you say are that fast. The next question is how much are these types of drives? I couldn't seem to be able to find these anywhere. What did you do different, may be I need to do that too. Thank you for any information that you might have on these drive speeds as well as cache size.

Amazon.com.
for Amazon.com.
Glenn

Glenn

pass along.

Thanks.

Randy Barnett

As for cost you need a motherboard with a M2 slot or buy a PCI-E one. just google m2 ssd and pci-e ssd you will find all kinds of info. Cache on a SSD is pointless. On a mech. hdd the cache is their to help make the drive faster but an SSD is faster than the cache on a hdd so it is not relavent.

On 8/29/2020 10:57 AM, Randy Barnett via groups.io wrote:
I have a Samsung Pro 960 M2 NVME SSD that does 2.5GBs. You need to go to the NVME spec for these speeds It runs on the PCI Express Bus. Just like the video card. the interface uses 4 PCE Express channels and can handle up to 30GBs. Of course right now there aren't any SSDs that fast but someday they will be.

On 8/29/2020 10:09 AM, David Ingram wrote:
Hi glen, what hard drive was able to give you the speed of 1gb per second?  I have to ask about drives that you say are that fast.  The next question is how much are these types of drives?  I couldn't seem to be able to find these anywhere.  What did you do different, may be I need to do that too.  Thank you for any information that you might have on these drive speeds as well as cache size.

Amazon.com.
for Amazon.com.
Glenn

drives costs?  Also what about the cache size doesn't that have something to
do with things as well?  I could never seem to find a hard drive whether
internal or external that would meet those requirements.  What size hard

Glenn

pass along.

Thanks.