Topics

moderated Sound Card Question Windows 10

Randy Meyer

I am using latest Jaws 2020 and windows 10.  I have my sound blaster card selected in Jaws, but when I go to sound settings in windows and change to a different sound card, I lose Jaws speech.

I thought if I specifically selected the sound blaster card in Jaws, and not the windows default sound, Jaws would always speak through the sound blaster card, regardless of selection in windows 10 sound settings.

I am trying to route Jaws to the sound blaster card and other sounds to the built in realtek sound card.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Also, when I plug in any new sound output device, such as a camera, windows 10 makes this the active sound output device, effectively turning off Jaws speech.

Randy Meyer

Richard

Hi Randy,
Do you have a set of speakers plugged into each soundcard?

Rick

I am using latest Jaws 2020 and windows 10. I have my sound blaster card
selected in Jaws, but when I go to sound settings in windows and change to a
different sound card, I lose Jaws speech.

I thought if I specifically selected the sound blaster card in Jaws, and not
the windows default sound, Jaws would always speak through the sound blaster
card, regardless of selection in windows 10 sound settings.

I am trying to route Jaws to the sound blaster card and other sounds to the
built in realtek sound card.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Also, when I plug in any new sound output device, such as a camera, windows
10 makes this the active sound output device, effectively turning off Jaws
speech.

Randy Meyer

Dan Longmore

Hi,

  Yes, what you want to do is possible.  Not sure why you are having this situation.

Dan

I am using latest Jaws 2020 and windows 10.  I have my sound blaster card selected in Jaws, but when I go to sound settings in windows and change to a different sound card, I lose Jaws speech.

I thought if I specifically selected the sound blaster card in Jaws, and not the windows default sound, Jaws would always speak through the sound blaster card, regardless of selection in windows 10 sound settings.

I am trying to route Jaws to the sound blaster card and other sounds to the built in realtek sound card.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Also, when I plug in any new sound output device, such as a camera, windows 10 makes this the active sound output device, effectively turning off Jaws speech.

Randy Meyer

Randy Barnett

You have to unload Jaws and reload it it's been doing this for years. If you make any change in control panel this is what you have to do and then jobs will go back to your selected device within jaws itself.

Randy Barnett

[...]

Rick:

Yes, I have speakers into my sound blaster card and headphones into my on board Realtek audio. Today, I plugged in my camera for a Zoom meeting. Jaws stopped speaking through sound blaster and tried speaking through the speaker built in to my camera. It was too quiet to hear, but fortunately, narrator was loud enough to hear through the small camera speaker.

I had to go to windows 10 sound settings and switch the focus back to the sound blaster card, and all audio came through fine.

I still have the sound blaster card checked in Jaws, which should mean that all Jaws audio comes through it, even when a different audio output is selected in windows 10 settings.

I would like to figure out how to make this work properly.

Randy Meyer

[...]

Thank you for letting me know this is a known bug.  I will stop beating my head against the wall on this and move on to more productive items.

Randy Meyer

I am using latest Jaws 2020 and windows 10.  I have my sound blaster card selected in Jaws, but when I go to sound settings in windows and change to a different sound card, I lose Jaws speech.

I thought if I specifically selected the sound blaster card in Jaws, and not the windows default sound, Jaws would always speak through the sound blaster card, regardless of selection in windows 10 sound settings.

I am trying to route Jaws to the sound blaster card and other sounds to the built in realtek sound card.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Also, when I plug in any new sound output device, such as a camera, windows 10 makes this the active sound output device, effectively turning off Jaws speech.

Randy Meyer

Mario

hey Randy, if I may ask, can you tell me what SoundBlaster do you have?

Do you have a set of speakers plugged into each soundcard?

Rick
I am using latest Jaws 2020 and windows 10. I have my sound blaster card
selected in Jaws, but when I go to sound settings in windows and change to a
different sound card, I lose Jaws speech.

I thought if I specifically selected the sound blaster card in Jaws, and not
the windows default sound, Jaws would always speak through the sound blaster
card, regardless of selection in windows 10 sound settings.

I am trying to route Jaws to the sound blaster card and other sounds to the
built in realtek sound card.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Also, when I plug in any new sound output device, such as a camera, windows
10 makes this the active sound output device, effectively turning off Jaws
speech.

Randy Meyer

.

Randy Meyer

Mario:

Audigy Fx from Creative Labs off of Amazon for around $40. It is an internal card. To install in windows 10 you need to download the appropriate software from Creative Labs, the cd in the box does not work for windows 10.

Randy Meyer

[...]

In Windows, ever since I can remember, the last sound device plugged into
the computer becomes the default.
Typically this refers to USB devices,
When the last device is removed, the default sound device before that should
return to the default position.
Right now I can't tell you why Jaws is not co-operating.

HTH,
[...]

Steven Hicks

Open the JAWS main screen, insert+j on the desktop keyboard.

Alt+u, o and then select your sound card.

[...]

I have had this problem for a long time as well, it just seems very inconsistent with audio devices in Microsoft Windows 10.
I Think that the issue is with sound card power savings.
When different devices power down, JAWS and Microsoft Windows gets confused as to which device should be used, is available etc and it seems to jump around.
If enough of us report this to Freedom Scientific, they may look at it but I have a feeling that it may be tricky as it is the way that Microsoft Windows power management is working and there is little that you can do about that as you can't disable the specific device power options unless the OEM writes iit in to their software or ddrivers and they make the utility accessible.

Do you have a set of speakers plugged into each soundcard?

Rick
I am using latest Jaws 2020 and windows 10. I have my sound blaster card
selected in Jaws, but when I go to sound settings in windows and change to a
different sound card, I lose Jaws speech.

I thought if I specifically selected the sound blaster card in Jaws, and not
the windows default sound, Jaws would always speak through the sound blaster
card, regardless of selection in windows 10 sound settings.

I am trying to route Jaws to the sound blaster card and other sounds to the
built in realtek sound card.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Also, when I plug in any new sound output device, such as a camera, windows
10 makes this the active sound output device, effectively turning off Jaws
speech.

Randy Meyer

Glenn / Lenny

I would look for the sound card in device manager and enter on it, and there
should be a tab/page with a combo box list of options, and you may find
power settings.
Glenn